Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Did you all know that each Tomahawk missile contains (and, when used, destroys) five hundred ounces of silver (needed for its high electrical conductivity)? So far, since the start of Obama's war in Libya, they've destroyed three tons of silver over there in launched Tomahawks. Gone for good. Got to be good for the future price of silver.

BP-B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I guess we could burn them at the stake and use dollar bills as kindling. Would be cheaper, but slower.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thirty-one POUNDS of silver per missile? Without a reliable source documenting that claim, I have to throw the penalty flag.

[Linked Image]

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Silver solder maybe but not pure silver!!!

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Even if it did, it's only a drop in the bucket ($18,850) out of the $575,000.00 cost of a Tomahawk.

X 119 = I don't even want to know....

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
IC B2

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I'm heading to Africa so if anyone has a spare Tomahawk,send it my way.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BGunn
Even if it did, it's only a drop in the bucket ($18,850) out of the $575,000.00 cost of a Tomahawk.

Back in the day when were planning Desert Storm TLAMS were a million a pop. See what happens when you buy in volume! smile

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A liberal crappola news report I read yesterday claimed that the Tomahawk uses a depleted uranium warhead, as do many of the bombs being used. Complete and utter BS.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I am certain that a Tomahawk missile does not use 500 oz. of silver, but silver is an excellent conductor of electricity.

In the early 1970's, I toured a Western Electric Company laboratory (AT&T R&D) that was developing the computer for controlling the Nike Zeus anti-missile system. The computer took up an entire room and was a miracle to behold. Each circuit board was shock mounted to the frame, the frame was shock mounted to the floor, and the floor was shock mounted to the foundation, which in turn was shock mounted into bedrock. All this to withstand a near nuclear explosion.

For cooling, the vertical and horizontal frames were hollow and a liquid coolant was circulated to carry off the heat and there was a large heat exchanger outside the facility.

The system worked on low voltage (24 volts if I recall correctly). This required high amperage for the amount of wattage needed. To carry the high amperage (at the low voltage), solid silver bus bars ran overhead. There was no insulation on the bars so I was cautioned not to touch anything. These bars were each about 8" X 8" and 30 feet long - lot's of expensive silver!

At the time I was sworn to secrecy, but now that 40 years have passed, I don't think anyone cares. Certainly today's PC's have more computing capacity than this dinosaur!

I'd forgotten about this until the reference to the Tomahawk's use of silver was mentioned.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by isaac
I'm heading to Africa so if anyone has a spare Tomahawk,send it my way.

Will it fit through the TSA X-Ray machine?

IC B3

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
A liberal crappola news report I read yesterday claimed that the Tomahawk uses a depleted uranium warhead, as do many of the bombs being used. Complete and utter BS.

Rocky - I have been out of the loop in this area for a number of years, so I do not know what the current situation is, but depleted uranium was at one time tested in the nose of a Tomahawk to aid penetration of hard targets before the explosive warhead exploded.

I do not know whether it was ever adopted, but it was tested.

Last edited by djs; 03/31/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by djs

Nope - may have been tested but the TLAM comes in a submunition dispenser (area denial) - A solid warhead (conventional) and of course the crowd pleasing portable sun variant with the W-80 warhead. I know of at least one other special payload it has carried but I see no reference to it on the web so I won't discuss it but it wasn't DU.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by djs
I am certain that a Tomahawk missile does not use 500 oz. of silver, but silver is an excellent conductor of electricity.

In the early 1970's, I toured a Western Electric Company laboratory (AT&T R&D) that was developing the computer for controlling the Nike Zeus anti-missile system. The computer took up an entire room and was a miracle to behold. Each circuit board was shock mounted to the frame, the frame was shock mounted to the floor, and the floor was shock mounted to the foundation, which in turn was shock mounted into bedrock. All this to withstand a near nuclear explosion.

For cooling, the vertical and horizontal frames were hollow and a liquid coolant was circulated to carry off the heat and there was a large heat exchanger outside the facility.

The system worked on low voltage (24 volts if I recall correctly). This required high amperage for the amount of wattage needed. To carry the high amperage (at the low voltage), solid silver bus bars ran overhead. There was no insulation on the bars so I was cautioned not to touch anything. These bars were each about 8" X 8" and 30 feet long - lot's of expensive silver!

At the time I was sworn to secrecy, but now that 40 years have passed, I don't think anyone cares. Certainly today's PC's have more computing capacity than this dinosaur!

I'd forgotten about this until the reference to the Tomahawk's use of silver was mentioned.

Skin effect conductors plated millimeters - perhaps micrometers - thick. Not solid bars.

Last edited by aspade; 03/31/11.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
I heard it from two sources, but it could well be BS. Seems like a lot of silver.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

Rocky - I have been out of the loop in this area for a number of years, so I do not know what the current situation is, but depleted uranium was at one time tested in the nose of a Tomahawk to aid penetration of hard targets before the explosive warhead exploded.

Not to mention I know it is used in the 20mm shells of the CIWS system aka Phalanx. Armor piercing properties are the reason.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was for a while, (~18 years ago) slightly involved in making the fin deployment spring for the Harpoon missile - which is a fairly large coil spring made of titanium. It was a fun job. Now I just make stuff for oil wells. It would be fun to do missile springs again. grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hawk, what were those sources?

I'd like to know - what they are spouting is outrageous.

Think about how many circuit boards or discrete wires/conductors could be made and not equal the weight you've quoted.

I'm sure the power requirements for the actual physical control surfaces are significant, but the actual conductor weights involved are probably more like 1/100th of the fig quoted. And probably copper, besides.

Battery + conductors + motor/servo weight might equal
the amount quoted. Throw in a bit of mechanical linkage to even things out.

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It was the 30mm used in the A10 that had depleted uranium slugs. At least during the "Storm"

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The company I worked for in the 20th Century made the material for the wing deployment springs on the sea going Tomahawks.
Each missile had two flat springs made out of MP35N
( multi- phase molybdenum 35% nickle )

Pure sliver would have been a bargin in comparison!
Hell pure platinum would be too.

Like any other gub'ment project ....million dollar hammer or billion $ toilet seat... it could have been done easier and much cheaper.
But it kept me gainfully employed and fed and clothed my kids.

I say throw them at the sand Ni@#ers and make more.
Just keep our people at a safe distance

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by BGunn

Wrong. Unit cost: $1,066,465 (Block IV Variant, FY11 $)
Source: Wikipedia

I worked on the Tomahawk RLG guidance system.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
257 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 1,711 guests, and 908 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,932
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.