Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I just bought a Sako AV in 6.5x55 SE (shipped today)

http://www.gunsinternational.com/SAKO-Bolt-Action-AV-6-5x55-Swede.cfm?gun_id=100166707

I plan to mount a Leupold FX3 6x42.

What mounts/rings will work for this combination? It's unclear to me whether the rifle has integrated bases or if I'll need to buy bases plus rings?

I have emails out to Talley, Leupold and Optics Planet, but would like to see if anyone has real world experience with the Sako AV.

Thanks!

[Linked Image]

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is a beautiful AV. I have one in 25-06. I have an extra set of Sako mounts and rings that will fit it. Sako is a proprietary mounting system. I watched ebay to find some.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The tapered dovetail integral bases for Sako ringmount are present in the pic.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I used Millet lows on both my A-Vs. Light weight, lowest mounts available. I got rid of a pair of Optilocks for the Millets.
YMMV, best of luck with a great rifle.

[Linked Image]
Moonrise over Bokeelia, "The Hill" Boca Grande Pass

"When you shoot a 270 towards something it's like an eagle flying mach speed shooting lightning bolts."
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Will Millets work with the tapered dovetail integral bases?

Anyone using Talleys?

IC B2

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
That is a beautiful AV. I have one in 25-06. I have an extra set of Sako mounts and rings that will fit it. Sako is a proprietary mounting system. I watched ebay to find some.

Thanks, OrangeOkie!

It looks like I'll only need rings? I'd like to get a sense of what is best for this set up.

Cheers,

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EricM

Thanks, OrangeOkie!

It looks like I'll only need rings? I'd like to get a sense of what is best for this set up.

Cheers,

You'll need bases and rings.

Edit: I just checked and found a set of Leupold that has integrated mounts, similar to Weaver. The extra original Sako mounts I have are bases and rings.

Last edited by OrangeOkie; 03/31/11.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Now I'm confused.

If tapered dovetail integral bases for Sako ringmount are present, why would I need bases? confused

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You only need rings, Sako style rings. There are bases built to fit the Sako dovetails so you can then mount standard style rings to, but why??

I've had very good experience with both Leupolds and Milletts.

Both of these are AV rifles.

Leupold...

[Linked Image]

Millett...

[Linked Image]

Black Cows Matter!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Now I'm confused.

If tapered dovetail integral bases for Sako ringmount are present, why would I need bases? confused

If you use the classic windage adjustable Sako ringmounts, all you need are the ringmounts. They have been out of production for quite awhile so check eBay. I believe a set of Sako ringmounts was advertised in the free classified today so you might look there. The only other ringmounts worth considering, IMO, are the Leupold ringmounts. All of the other scope mounts out there for Sakos are not worthy.

edit: look here
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...130/WTS_2_sets_of_Sako_rings#Post5100130

Top set might be a little spendy but not by much. Might do better looking around on ebay or one of the other gun auction sites.

The bottom set will require disassembly of the scope tube so take that into consideration.

Last edited by carbon12; 03/31/11.
IC B3

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the pics, Muleshoe. That helps!

Do you know if the Leupold ringmounts in "low" will clear a 42 mm objective, or will I have to go "medium"?

What about sizing Millets for a 42 mm obj?

It's weird but optics planet doesn't seem to have low rings in matte.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/leupold-sako-ring-mounts.html

Available models:

�Leupold 49946 - Sako 1" Rings Low Gloss Black
�Leupold 49945 - Sako 1" Rings Medium Gloss Black
�Leupold 51719 - Sako 1" Rings Medium Silver
�Leupold 49948 - Sako 1" Rings High Gloss Black
�Leupold 51720 - Sako 1" Rings High Silver
�Leupold 49942 - Sako 1" Rings Super High Gloss Black
�Leupold 49943 - Sako 1" Rings Super High Matte Black
�Leupold 54409 - Sako 1" Rings Medium Matte Black
�Leupold 54410 - Sako 1" Rings High Matte Black
�Leupold 51036 - Sako 30mm Rings Medium Matte Black
�Leupold 51037 - Sako 30mm Rings High Matte Black
�Leupold 51722 - Sako 30mm Rings Super High Matte Black

Thanks as well for the link, Carbon.

edit.. Leupold doesn't make 1" rings in low matte. I also found out Leupold recommends medium bases: "42-45mm Riflescopes will almost always use MEDIUM rings in a given style. In certain instances, 45mm scopes may require HIGH rings."

Last edited by EricM; 03/31/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use Talley bases and rings on my Sakos. The base slides over the integral dovetail, then use any of the Talley rings.
Can't remember off hand which fits the AV

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=116552
or
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=196348

Neal
NRA Endowment Life Member.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Eric,

If memory serves me....

The Leupold rings were mediums, the scope was a VX-III 3.5-10x40. As you can see the Butler Creek cap fit on also.

The Milletts are low, the scope is an FX-III 6x42. The BC cap had to be "altered" a bit to fit.

Here is a shot of the 3.5-10x40 in the Milletts. A little less clearance than the Leupold rings.

[Linked Image]

Another option, not sure of the manufacturer. Warne maybe? Someone chime in if you know. They came on a rifle and I didn't care for them.

[Linked Image]

Black Cows Matter!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Will Millets work with the tapered dovetail integral bases?

Anyone using Talleys?

I've use Talleys on 2 Sakos and have been very happy with them.

As was stated earlier, I would prefer rings that mount directly to the dovetails already on the receiver, as it's a cleaner, simpler option, but there aren't many integral ringmount choices out there. Although I absolutely detest the Sako Optilock 2 piece mounts with separate bases, I do like their ringmounts and don't understand why they never caught on. Warne used to make ringmounts for Sako (yes, muleshoe, those are Warnes in your bottom pic), but I don't believe they do anymore. Leupold makes ringmounts too, and those who have used them tell me they work fine. I've never used them, so can't comment one way or the other.

Even though the Talleys use a separate base that fits onto the receiver dovetails (they wedge into place against the dovetail tapers, causing a locking taper fit), the bases are very low profile and allow you to use any of Talley's steel rings. It's a pretty clean looking system, and it's very secure.

Ted
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks guys.

I decided to buy Leupold ringmounts in size Medium. I'll post pics once it's all set up. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sako Rings

With these rings comes real Commitment

Anyone who owns or has seen a Sako has immediately noticed the dovetailed bases. When did that start and why and how come others have not followed? The answers are not easily obtainable as are most things within Sako. The engineers of Sako Oy simply listen to a different drummer. If they see a good idea that incorporate it if not they let their own designs evolve to a higher standard. This is apparently the case with Sako Rings.

During World War II Finland was neutral but depended on Germany for their very survival. They had to fight the Russians who were invaders like the Germans elsewhere. World War II as we all know was costly and much was lost. Even the spoils of war that went to the victors were a burden. The Finns learned something in this war and their very heritage is based on it. The are a tough people living in an artic environment, they are fishermen and outdoorsmen that work hard and survive against all odds. The Russians won territory in Finland for a little while but they to would learn that the Finns are reliant and finally Finland was Free.

After the war Sako began to covert the Mosin Nagant military rifle for civilian use but this also was the beginning of their new sporting rifle the P46 later the L46. Scopes were not new to the hunters and rifleman, in the American Civil War scopes were used by both armie™s and later by buffalo hunters. During the First World War Scopes were becoming more common but usually only issued to Snipers. But During World War II snipers became famous as they lay in wait in their deadly game. In Finland the Hero of the War was a Sniper using a scoped Mosin Nagant. Sportsman soon returned home looking for more than just open sights, they were at least thinking about scopes. The scopes of the day however proved to be less than reliable in cold wet weather. The question was how to offer the best of both worlds? The answer apparently was a simply dovetailed receiver that allowed a scope to be mounted on a rifle quickly and it could be returned to zero.

The Early scopes again were not reliable enough to depend on so at some point Sako offered a Peep Sight that fit on the rear base that could be used instead of a scope and the result is package no matter what the weather. The Early rings were designed for the early scopes, simple they were rings that were shaped steel where then scope was disassembled and then slid into the rings and then reassembled. Nitrogen Scopes were not yet widely available so the practice of removing the eyepiece was no big deal. Soon after in the mid 1950�€™s Weaver, Lyman/Leupold, Pecar, and others started offering Fog Proof Scopes.

A new design was needed and here we see the Sako Rings most of us recognize and desire. I direct you to the photo gallery where you will notice the Old Style rings. These rings were made in three heights Low 3/32€�, Medium 5/16€�, and High 15/32. They were also manufactured in 26mm, 28mm and 30mm and 1 Inch diameters to meet the standards scopes of the day. They provided windage for those scopes that did not have windage adjustments or ones that needed a little more. The Scope could be easily removed and placed in your coat pocket and a peep sight attached. The rear scope ring was a small tab on the bottom that fit into the rear base that assured proper alignment, springs and pins within the mounts kept the left side of the scope mounts in perfect potion. By using a coin the scope was on or off in seconds. Unlike the U.S style rings and bases that claimed to be easy take down the Sako rings we truly an engineering marvel. When you removed the rings they were truly gone. Your sight picture was completely restored and no mount was in your way. The scope mount had just been revolutionized.

While the original Steel old style rings were made in Finland, later versions were made in Spain, Austria, and Australia. The were less polished and while having the basic design they gave up some to their polish and attention to detail but not their strength. Other manufactures also added Sako bases to their product line but not until the 80s does it appear that a major manufactured offered a Ring to fit the Sako base. Today Tasco, Weaver, Leupold, Warne, and Buehler now offer rings that fit the Sako Bases. Oddly enough the Sako rings suffered in the U.S. market because of the high cost and the fact that they were hard to locate. Sako though stuck with the old style ring well into the 80�€™s and even offered Sako screw on bases for the Finnwolf�€™s round receiver.

In the interim Sako developed the Strong style ring that was built in Australia is a beefier version of today�€™s ring wherein the Ring is not part of the base itself. It is bolted to the base through the bottom. The set is very bulky and not as attractive as the old style but just as tough. The New Style {see Photo Gallery} is yet another evolution in technology. The Bases are rock solid and the ring like the strong series is two piece. The major difference is the polymer ring insert. This OpiLock system aligns the scope even in the bases are slight crooked. The end result is less stress on the scope and better overall accuracy. I have used virtually all the styles available while I like the all the old and new styles are my equal favourites.

As many of you know I hunt with my Sakos and I hunt hard. I have found the old style to work well in all types of terrain and punishment. I have a 4 digit 264 Win Mag with old style rings that has suffered tremendous punishment with no loss in accuracy. I have two Sako Target Rifles with the new style and I also use the new style with my Sako Fiberclass. I have Leupold, Warne, and Buehlers as well but Sako�€™s are still my choice. My fiberclass in 338 has suffered the roughest punishment I have ever but through a rifle but it has never lost it�€™s accuracy. Strong scope mounts are the key.

Now Sako Safari has the most inclusive collection of Sako Rings I have every seen. He may have every model ever made but one never knows with Sako.As soon as Sako Safari and I can get a digital camera we will add photos add some more photos�€™ of the rings we have collected. While today�€™s Sako is really a rifle built for a scope you will occasionally see a new rifle with sights probably a Euro Version. The Europeans still prefer the option of removing a scope in case of problem. Other rifle manufactures followed Sako�€™s lead on the grooved receiver, Ruger, BSA, and Blaser to name a few a few. While they did other the flexibility of windage the idea is much the same. Sako old ways were once new ways and the world was watching. Maybe the model 75 will prove to do the same. Like the Sako Rings the P46 has evolved over time to become the new Model 75 rifle. It has kept the basic idea of a Sako Rifle extreme accuracy, dovetailed receiver, and fit and Finnish. The Tikka is built along the same product lines. Yes I know it can be a pain to find rings for your Sako and your Tikka rifle. They are expensive and why not just make a standard base like a Remington model 700. Simply because Sako does follow the rules they invent them.

Since Sako has been around they have strived to improve their designs in form and function. When you are looking through your scope at a big Muley or a charging Cape buffalo the last thing on your mind will be that grooved receiver and those rings. No with the sweat on your face, the pain in your legs and body, the shortness of breath you will be not be thinking about scope mounts. You won�€™t have to someone in Finland already did.

Sako Finnbear

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here's the Sako AV in Leupold medium sized ringmounts.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I'm really stoked about the integral bases. I'm not sure why more manufacturers don't go this route.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
712 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222ND, 74 invisible), 2,785 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,630
Posts18,398,794
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.