Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
rdobrow Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Any thoughts, looking at the Surgeon RSR or Stiller Predator, similar price......building a 284 win with Rock #3 and wyatt box...Thanks for any advice, Dick

If you want to know how well the government manages things, ask an Indian!
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That's like comparing a Chevrolet Corvette to a Kia Sportage.

I got a couple RSR actions, very well built. I Dumped the Predator. Defiance is another good choice.

Recent threads on action choices...
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5007982/Re_Custom_Action#Post5007982

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ild_on_a_Model_700_or_start_#Post5105481

Last edited by slg888; 04/02/11.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The new Stiller Predators are not the same as the old ones. I've owned a couple old versions, and now a new one. The new ones have a one-piece bolt, same as the surgeon, and the new ones have a pinned base, same as the surgeon. I'm sure that Stiller came out with these changes in response to the RSR.

I've never owned a surgeon, so I cannot compare the two, but a Stiller action is great. Given that you want to run a Wyatts, the Predator seems like a good choice as it's already set up for that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
seeing as how Nighthawk Custom rifles which are hailed as extremely accurate uses Stiller actions and other over the counter parts, including a Wyatt box, its good enough for my money.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You'd be very happy with the Stiller. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd go either Surgeon, BAT or Defiance Machine - top 3 actions out there in my opinion!!!

Last edited by 300MAG; 04/02/11.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
you might want to look at Borden if you have not already

gene

R
rdobrow Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Gene, yes, I just don't want the wait. His are very fine actions, just looks like these 2 will be available sooner. Thanks, Dick

If you want to know how well the government manages things, ask an Indian!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like my actions to have an integral lug and pic rail machined into the action. I especially don't want the action having a separate recoil lug, to me thats just dumb with a custom action. machine the freakin lug in I say or just buy a remington.

I need some advantages over a stock remington and those are the one I require. with that said BAT and surgeon are the only actions that have both features that I know of.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by slg888
That's like comparing a Chevrolet Corvette to a Kia Sportage.

well not really slug

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I like my actions to have an integral lug and pic rail machined into the action. I especially don't want the action having a separate recoil lug, to me thats just dumb with a custom action. machine the freakin lug in I say or just buy a remington.

I need some advantages over a stock remington and those are the one I require. with that said BAT and surgeon are the only actions that have both features that I know of.

You are not comparing apples to apples I have a couple BAT's and the one's I own dont have an integral lug and they are top knotch BR action's, the Stiller's in question are the Predator that is a Remington clone their bottom tier product. try comparing them to their top of the line stuff like the Viper, Diamondback.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Ruger has that (lug) and they cost tons less. grin

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 257heaven

Ruger has that (lug) and they cost tons less. grin

I love rugers, but they don't have hardly any goodies available for them. and gunsmiths don't like working on them or bedding them. even I have to concede though they are not the accuracy platform that a remington type action is.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by rockchuck828
try comparing them to their top of the line stuff like the Viper, Diamondback.
Ya, if you buy there "top of the line" you should be good to go. Be sure to check bolt-face/lugs are sq to the raceway.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Just giving you a hard time, cc.

I have barely tiptoed into the custom action market, buying a Stiller Tac 30 in a lightweight 22-250 with 1-8 twist. I'm glad that one doesn't have a built-in rail because I'm working on acquiring some Talley Ltwt rings for it to keep up the ltwt platform.

But I completely understand what you're saying and if I were building a target/varmint rifle, I might have to look into the two actions you speak of.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Stiller

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
bat also has actions without the rail built in to save wieght, they are also alot less expensive too which if you don't want that will save you some money.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a Surgeon 591 and a Borden Alpine and both are top notch. The Borden is a little bit tighter and smoother but I like the Surgeon due to it's heft. I wouldn't trade either for another action although I'm sure other custom actions are just as nice.

With the above said, I would mindn't trying a defiance or Pierce.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Dick,
We really have the same taste in guns. I just built a 7-08 last year on a Surgeon RSR action and #3 Rock barrel and Wyatt box.

I went with the Surgeon RSR as it seems a little smoother with just the right tolerances. Some of the names people are throwing out there are great actions for the bench rest game but to tight for hunting. The RSR is made with the "tactical" shooter in mind. Squared and tight tolerances but not so tight as to jam up if it gets a little dirty.

The newer Stiller Predator are now on par with the RSR but they were not when I bought mine. I think someone previously touched on this and I have not played with a new Stiller. The RSR comes with the option of a brushed chrome finish on the bolt, which I like. The bolt knob can also be changed as it screws on to the handle. It is a one piece bolt but a seperate knob.

Defiance makes the actions for GAP and previously Neisika. Borden is another one I wanted to go with but they wanted to much for me and the wait was long.

If you were closer I'd like you take the 7-08 for a test drive.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
mliang, sounds like a nice rifle! any pics?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

231 members (12344mag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 338reddog, 300jimmy, 2UP, 25 invisible), 1,686 guests, and 892 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,598
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.