Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Dear Sirs, can anybody give ideas how to get fore end "pressure points" back to my Remington 700 CDL. cal 30-06 wood, stainless, fluted barrel. Some time ago I decided to glass bed the action and free float the barrel but after that my groups opened up some. Before I was able to shoot close to MOA but after free floating it went to 1.5MOA. Yes I have shot several different brands and bullet weights. I do not load myself but shoot factory loads. When I free floated the barrel I filed the fore end pressure point out but now I'd like to try whether putting it back will help to get better groups. Thanks matthunter

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I did the same with a rifle I own. I cut a couple of business cards into strips 1/2" wide and slid them gently in between the barrel and the stock fore end an inch back from the the tip of the stock.
Then shoot for group, add another and shoot again to find the right amount of pressure to settle the barrel down.
A little bedding epoxy at the forend with the cards behind the epoxy to hold the needed gap between barrel and stock.
Pull the cards and shoot to verify the fix.
If you don't like the results file it clean and try again.
A little masking tape around the epoxy area helps clean up.

P.S. one layer of Scotch tape wrapped around the barrel so the barrel flutes don't fill with epoxy.

Last edited by colodog; 04/03/11.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never done it, but here is what a friend does. He puts release agent (neutral Kiwi polish) on the barrel, a dab of Devcon at the forend and six pounds of weight on the barrel with the gun in a vise upside down.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Colodog: Thanks!! How long is your bedding in front of recoil lug? I first bedded only like an inch in front of recoil lug but now I'm thinking maybe I should bed whole conical section of the barrel all the way. That would mean ca. 4in of bedding in front of recoil lug. Thanks again!

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I usually bed the recoil lug and less than 1" in front of the lug.
I just want the action locked in place not usually the barrel.
I have also bedded the rear action screw when the inletting was a little oversize.
Pull out the rear screw and wiggle left right up down to see if it's secure without a screw, or if the action is teetering on the epoxy you have in the recoil lug area.
Recoil will flex the action more than you will by hand.
Good luck!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,614 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,023
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.