Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I see no advantage to one over the other except in small details. The Siller will have a nitrided bolt. As long as you can get them with a pinned recoil lug, this is a fine way to go and not giving up much to the 591 or BAT one piece.

They are both outstanding actions. If you are going with a #3 contour barrel, it makes no sense to use the heavy BAT or 591 action.

I recently tried to buy a Rimrock but the wait was too long. We went with a Pierce. If I had to do it over again, I would do the same thing.

I have a Defiance long action and it is bank-vault solid but the one piece bolt adds $500+ to the price of an action.

Last edited by dennisinaz; 04/03/11.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

BP-B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
They are both outstanding actions. If you are going with a #3 contour barrel, it makes no sense to use the heavy BAT or RSR action.
RSR is not a "tactical action", just another Remingtom clone(round reciever). Think my RSR weighed 1lb 15oz with recoil lug.

Originally Posted by darrenk75b
The new Stiller Predators are not the same as the old ones.
What took so long?
Originally Posted by rockchuck828
the Stiller's in question are the Predator
Seems to be a trend on custom rifle forums.
Originally Posted by mliang
The newer Stiller Predator are now on par with the RSR but they were not when I bought mine.
There still not.

Last edited by slg888; 04/03/11.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
slg88,
Is this a personal thing?
Butch

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by slg888
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
They are both outstanding actions. If you are going with a #3 contour barrel, it makes no sense to use the heavy BAT or RSR action.
RSR is not a "tactical action", just another Remingtom clone(round reciever). Think my RSR weighed 1lb 15oz with recoil lug.

What took so long?
Originally Posted by rockchuck828
the Stiller's in question are the Predator
Seems to be a trend on custom rifle forums.
Originally Posted by mliang
The newer Stiller Predator are now on par with the RSR but they were not when I bought mine.
There still not.

Please expand on "what took so long?" and how the new Predators are not on par with an RSR. Have you tried both a new Predatorand an RSR and done the direct comparison? I have one on order and you have me very curious.

Thanks,

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
What took so long?
Honda64, no personal issue with Stiller, mine shot fine after the bolt face was trued. Having owned both actions(Simultaneously),it was a no-brainer to me..

When a member ask's for reccomendation on a custom action(stiller vs RSR), why not suggest a Mfr w/perfect track record? Good luck finding any negativity on Surgeon. Here ya go....

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ub...in=198746&Number=2221867#Post2221867

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
So your Predator was one of the new ones?

From the link, the OP stated Stiller made it right without hesitation. I guess if I don't like my Predator when I get it, Stiller will either fix it to my satisfaction or refund my money. I've seen where they have stated that numerous times.

I ordered the Predator based on my 'smith's recommendation. His reputation is outstanding, so I have expectations that it will work out well.

John

Last edited by Hondo64d; 04/03/11.

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Surgeon.

I'd buy a Pierce over a Stiller.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I live in the Flathead... I've been to Defiance Machines shop, and I was a real machinist in a previous life.

I would buy one of Glen's actions, and I'm going too for my next rifle. He's a very talented machinist. You won't get a call from your gunsmith telling you he needs to "blueprint" your 900 dollar action (something I've heard frequently from a gunsmith friend about Stillers and Surgeons)

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Looked at Pierce, but wanted stainless.

John

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
What took so long?
Honda64, no personal issue with Stiller, mine shot fine after the bolt face was trued. Having owned both actions(Simultaneously),it was a no-brainer to me..

When a member ask's for reccomendation on a custom action(stiller vs RSR), why not suggest a Mfr w/perfect track record? Good luck finding any negativity on Surgeon. Here ya go....

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ub...in=198746&Number=2221867#Post2221867

I will agree that Stiller seems to have to run around the net and defend his product more than any other 700 clone maker!

IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Stiller for me and I have Surgeon RIGHT in my front yard, not saying that Surgeon is bad just can't get use to the BIG bolt handle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://www.defiancemachine.com/

Check these guys out. I've got three rifles built on them and rate them as top notch.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Popapi
Stiller for me and I have Surgeon RIGHT in my front yard, not saying that Surgeon is bad just can't get use to the BIG bolt handle.

They make smaller handles!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

And Kampfeld custom.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

And Kampfeld custom.
Even with what Karl did to yours was still a bit to big for me Stoney. I probably will buy one JUST to have a Surgeon(308 heavy barrel), but for know I'll roll with the Stiller which has been a DARLING to me!!!!!!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

And Kampfeld custom.
Even with what Karl did to yours was still a bit to big for me Stoney. I probably will buy one JUST to have a Surgeon(308 heavy barrel), but for know I'll roll with the Stiller which has been a DARLING to me!!!!!!
Marcus, just un-screw & remove the nob handle....small enough now? Lol!!

Last edited by slg888; 04/03/11.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A

And Kampfeld custom.

You should try a Borden...you won't know how to act! wink

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Perfect Stoney grin !!!!!

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

You should try a Borden...you won't know how to act! wink
Ur probably right!!! LOL!!!!!!!! laugh

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I went with the Surg RSR on a group buy and could not be happier. As someone above mentioned, it was built from the ground up to have the right balance between being tight and being able to tolerate debris. I had Nate at Straight shot gunsmithing do the barrel job and he was extrememly impressed with the tolerances.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
105 members (338reddog, 10gaugeman, 35, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,409 guests, and 682 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.