-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Any body have one of these or shot one???

I have an opporutnity to purschase one and for the kind of $$ they want for it, I would love to hear some reviews.

I have heard the trigger is crappy and most replace it iwth an aftermarker trigger.

Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Isn't the MR a direct clone of the 10/22? If so trigger issues may not be a problem.

But....... If you are interested I have a buddy with a 597 magnum that has proven to be reliable that he's thinkin about sellin. I'm sure we could even arrange a shooting session. Drop me a PM if you're interested.

CB

BTW, we're in central Iowa.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never heard of an issue with MR. I believe Chris is correct that they accept Ruger parts. You could also build your own, maybe cheaper with what ever brands you wnat (mix and match), and maybe get a better gun than the "stock" MR. Midway USA would be my first place to go.

BTW, North East Iowa.

A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life.

The King of Battle!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys.....

I actually have a 597 HBLV.... its shoots GREAT!!!!! I did put a different trigger spring in, in both actually, the .22LR and .22 Mag. The factory triggers springs were terrible.

As for the Mag Research...yes, they do accept ruger parts. I had just did quite a bit of research and it seems like most folks said to replce the trigger.

I dont NEEEED antoher one, but that light MR vresion is soooo sweet to handle.

Thanks for the input.
Sean

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really like mine for it's handiness and ergonomics. It weighs about 6lbs with a FX-3 6x42 and a mag full of ammo. The materials from which it is constructed are impervious to all conditions. It cannot rust and I like that about a "knockaround" type rifle.

Yes the trigger needs replaced but I will not buy another Timney for mine. I've had two now and after being really good initially both have been returned because of slam fires, failure to reset, and creep. I initially thought it was a problem with the set screws moving but after applying Loc-tite I still had the same issues. No more Timneys for me.

The gun itself is very accurate 3/4" for 5 shots at 75yds but it will only shoot this well with two types of ammo......the Hornady 30gr V-max load and the CCI 30 gr Maxi-Mag + V. The Hornady load suits my needs so it's no big deal.

A note on accuracy, my rifle is really sensitive to the tightness of the action screw. Too tight and it won't shoot for shi++. Remember this when you begin to test loads.

Also with the integral scope rail you can easily end up with a scope mounted too high. Buy the lowest low rings you can get and you will be fine. BTW, Midway lists the height of all it's rings under specs., I found this very helpful.

I shopped around and ended up getting my MR for about $650 shipped. Overall I really like the rifle at that price. There is really a lot to be said for a light, impervious, accurate, semi-auto 22-mag...............
[Linked Image]

X-VERMINATOR

Last edited by xverminator; 04/04/11.

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you very mcuh Xvermiatnor. I like the pic!!!!

The one i am looking at is the carbon fiber bbl as well. Thanks for the tip on the action screw as well. I will keep that in mind. My favorite .22 ammo that has shot soooo well in my other 2 (of which i only have one now), is Rem accutip (use to be vmax) and is 33 gr.

Maybe i will just have to pull the trigger on gettiing this one. It is brand new in box that a local guy got and I can get it for $650 as well...no tax, no shipping.

Hmmmmm...by the time i scope it up, etc... $900+ in a .22 mag , when i already own a good one. Oh the curse of the addiction....................

L
L
moved

Last edited by LocoJoe; 04/06/11. Reason: Wrong place
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a MR in .22mag. Mine has been very accurate with 30gr Vmax and Rem 33gr Vmax.

The trigger is horrible, but I haven't replaced mine yet.

Mine will shoot roughly 1" at 100yds with Rem 33gr's.

I had my weaver rails opened up to picatanny to accommodate my NV. I also had my receiver coated in graphic black cerakote and had my bolt bead blasted.

Only thing I'm not too crazy about the MR is the integra sight rail sits a little high and the lack of comb on the stock doesn't help the situation.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good looking rig!!!

I have heard that the reail sits high. Thanks for the insights and the sharing of your weapon!

SEF

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (35, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 13 invisible), 1,358 guests, and 817 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,252
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.