Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
anybody ever had a barrel recontoured from varmint to sporter?
Thinking about converting a Rem SPS tactical 1:9 to a sporter

BP-B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
1949, not knowing the current outside dimensions, it's hard to say. However, my brother has re-contoured barrels to make them "slimmer". It is a VERY slow process as you can only take very shallow cuts. Otherwise the barrel will start to hold heat and expand lengthwise. Being that this is done on centers the extra length having nowhere to go will bow the barrel. Then it's junk.
What is the muzzle diameter now and what do you want to end up at? That will help estimate the time involved.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've always heard it's a no-no, contour work and fluting before the bore work.I bet most Smith's would not be interested.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Button rifled barrels are contoured after the button has been pulled through the bore so I'm not sure there's anything inherently wrong with recontouring, I don't really see the difference between the initial contouring and taking a little more off after the fact. I'd bet most smiths don't do it because most aren't set up to do it properly, and they don't really need to be since you can get most any contour from the barrel maker. That being said, I don't think I'd waste the money recontouring a factory hammer forged barrel. I'd be more worried about a hammer forged barrel moving under the recontouring than a quality button or cut rifled barrel. By the time you paid for the smith to pull the barrel, recontour it, reinstall it and refinish it you'd be most of the way towards paying for a decent custom barrel.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hart advertises recontouring for $50 but I do not know if he will work on any barrels but his own...

Andrew
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I had a #5 Hart turned down to a #3, and it went from being a .65" shooter to about a 1" gun. Had it done locally in Colorado Springs, but so many years ago I don't even remember who did the work. Can't say for certain whether stress relief, lighter contour, or both wass the reason for not shooting as well after turned, but I wouldn't do it again. I would just flip the current barrel and put another tube on that came from the manufacturer in the contour I wanted.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
thanks... sounds like a bad idea
next plan

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not sure that I've ever run into a smith that didn't do recountouring. I've had a bunch of different barrels done into different contours and they always shot well after the fact. Never did before and after testing. Shows what I know, I just assumed all barrels were rifled in an unturned state and then made to contour when they were ordered.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This has been discussed about a thousand times on here.

It used to be standard work for a smith to turn down all barrels to the desired contour.

I'm not about to debate, will just say that my smith has done several for me and they have without fail shot as well after the turn down as before, and I won't hesitate to have more done. It works.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
345 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 34 invisible), 2,187 guests, and 950 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,859
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.