Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I tried the 200 grain Nosler BT in my 338...and I didnt care for them. I thought penetration was poor at best and they didnt kill animals faster or better than my 250 grain partitions.

I got hung up on all the ballistic tip craze as well as going light for caliber...1994 was the year. I had to try them.

I shot a dall sheep, black bear, bull moose, a bull elk, 2 doe deer, and a whitetail buck with them that year.

I recovered 3 bullets from the above animals. Black bear broad side shot broke a rib on entry and exit side...bullet under the hide. The moose broadside shot it through the top of the shoulders, bullet between off shoulder and body cavity. Shot the bull elk broadside first shot, bullet exited. Bull ran maybe 50 yards and I shot it through the neck the second time, breaking the neck. Found the bullet under the skin on the off-side of the neck.

It worked good on the sheep and deer...but nothing to brag about and I could have had the same results with just about any other caliber from 243-338 and just about any bullet. Nothing special and IMO severely lacked the penetration abilities of the 250's.

A few of the BT victims from 1994, at least I gave them an honest try:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I've used the .338 quite a bit, using various bullets from 200 to 275 grains. My experience is that the 225 Partition doesn't significantly deeper than the 210 Partition--and the 200 Ballistic Tip penetrates almost as much as the 210.

Have said this before, but the longer I've used the .338 (since the late 80's) the more I've come to the conclusion that 200-210 grain bullets are most effective for most game. They shoot flatter, kick less and kill quicker than heavier bullets.

The bigger bullets might be better choices for really big game that weighs well over 1000 pounds. Then again, maybe not. I've taken both Alaskan moose and African eland with the .338 with heavier bullets, and could have killed either with a 210 Partition just as easily.

JB, Curious how many elk you have killed with a 200 grain bullets? 225 grain bullets and 250s in the 338 win mag?

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Flinch
...now you have gone and opened a can of worms. We all know ballistic tips don't kill elk, they blow up on the hide. I know, I have killed a dozen or so with ballistic tips, but don't tell anyone. ;D

Jon, sectional density is a stupid number to base anything off of. You can have a long bullet with great sectional density, but it blows apart on impact. Yup, good thing it had good sectional density.

The reason your heavy partitions don't kill so well, is because they don't disrupt tissue like the lighter bullets. ie; they don't expand well due to low velocity. They simply plow through. But, I am sure in all your infinite experience, you know this ;o) Flinch

Good post Finch. I personally have no time for SD in any bullet evaluation. Anyone who thinks a 275gn Speer .338 bullet will out penetrate a 150gn .308 TSX has a lot to learn, and if I am wrong, it will only be a couple of bits of the Speer that limp along that far, not the entire bullet.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's a public range and the marshals are all old guys that don't offer much help or direction. It is a safe range and nobody can keep people from wacking their eyebrow, due to being stupid. It happens on all ranges. It is a nice 300 yard range nestled between two mountains with a creek running through it. It is only a couple of miles from my house, so I'm not going to move because of morons that can't shoot.

I have a Sportsmans Warehouse, Cabellas and several other big gun stores nearby. Most have young guys, or older guys that don't hunt working the gun counter. EVERY time I am in these stores, the counter help tells the potential buyer that they need a .338 or one of the Ultramags for the numerous elk here. Everything else will bounce off. I just overheard a customer wanting a .30-06 to hunt deer and elk with. The counter guy said, "I would never hunt elk with a .30-06. It just isn't big enough and drops like a rock past 200 yards. You need an ultra mag."

All the wannabees read crap on the internet about needing wonder magnums for elk, then get reassured by the inexperienced counter help that they need these super magnums as well.

The used shelves are FULL of used wonder magnums. Most have eyebrow hair or a blood smear on the scope. laugh I would say that about half the big rifles have some kind of a half azzed brake on them. So they went from hard recoil, had them braked, then sold them because they were too loud...lol. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Never have killed any elk myself with 250's. Have killed a handful with 200, 210 and 225-grain bullets.

But one thing I learned long ago that it's much easier to gain considerable experience with bullets by giving them out to other hunters, and to go along any chance I get with other hunters. I distributed some 200 Ballistic Tips among local friends when they first came out, but only after I'd done some penetration tests and used them myself on enough game to know that they'd penetrate sufficiently. And I only gave them to people I knew would make precise evaluations of performance, not just say, "Yeah, it worked good."

I've also used the .338 on other large North American game considerably, including musk ox and Alaskan moose, and in Africa even more, where I also observed other people using it a lot. My experience is that African game of about the same size as elk (especially gemsbok, blue wildebeest and zebra) is a very similar bullet "test." The data gathered was considerable, encompassing dozens of animals and a wide variety of bullets from 200 to 275 grains, though probably the most-used bullet weight was 225 grains.

My overall observation is that on both elk and other elk-sized animals, in general 200-210 grain bullets kill at least as well or better than heavier bullets from the .338, and are easier to hit with because they recoil less.

They also penetrate plenty, except possibly on rear-end shots. I've only shot one animal up the rear with a .338, a blue wildebeest that was already wounded. It worked, but took a while, despite the 250 Nosler Partition ending up in the front of the chest.

The 200 Ballistic Tip has always penetrated plenty. Some people object when any bullet is found in an animal, but my experience is that the 200 BT either exits or ends up under the skin on the far side of the animal, after doing a lot of damage. The most penetration I've seen was on a bull gemsbok of around 450 pounds, shot quartering toward me at about 150-175 yards. The bullet broke the shoulder and the spine (the spine drops down between the shoulders on a gemsbok) and ended up under the hide on the rump on the far side, at least 3-1/2 feet of penetration, some of it through heavy bone. That is one of the few I've recovered, and I've seen the 225-grain Nosler Partition and AccuBond recovered just as often on the same size animals.

Oh, and all the friends I gave 200 Ballistic Tips to 20 years ago reported fine results on elk. My most trusted friend shot a big cow at 300 yards. The bullet got part of one shoulder and the bottom of the spine, and exited.

I should also point out, however, that I've shot more elk with .30 calibers than any other bore size, the cartridges ranging from the .30-06 up to the .300 Weatherby, including my three biggest bulls. None have gone more than 25 yards, and my biggest bull went only 20 feet after being shot with a 180-grain bullet at 250 yards--from a .30-06. So I'm also a natural skeptic when people start proclaiming something "the best" on any kind of game, partly from having seen so much game shot with various cartridges and bullets.

With the .338 and elk part of my skepticism comes from a survey on the Campfire several years ago--after yet another post proclaiming the greatness of the .338. Turned out he had shot one elk with the .338.

So I asked everybody else to post their experience with the .338. It turned out that very few had taken more than a dozen animals with the cartridge, and the average was between 4 and 5. In my experience, a dozen animals is a start on learning what a cartridge will do, but several dozen is a much better number. Four or five doesn't tell us much at all.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I guess a measly 17 elk, 14 deer, mountain goat, moose, black bear, and sheep with a 338 isnt enough to form an opinion.

However, other than 1994, I've shot 250 gr. partitions exclusively and they performed much better than 200 BT's, no question and no debate about it.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I don't know why you seem to be getting upset. You have plenty of experience and you have a firm opinion. I have a different opinion, and so have several other people who've posted on this thread, who also have a lot of experience with the .338.

I'm always interested in input, and would be very grateful to to know in what ways the 250 Partition performed better. Reading your description of the animals taken makes it sound like none went over than 50 yards after being hit.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I guess I sit in the outer here having generally settled on Sierra's 215grain gameking. It's cheaper than the noslers, not as funky and given I shoot most of my stuff inside 250 yards the BC is not super critical.

Does this make me old school...

Experience is something you get, just after you needed it.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Anybody ever blast a big bodied animal with a 225 Accubond out of a 338 Rum, at under 200 yards? Seems like it's got a ton of energy. I'm don't think I should be concerned about zooking the 'bond?

BTW, I'm a 1%'r too.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like the 225-gn Accubond a bunch from my .338. It's accurate as hell, has a very good BC which largely irons out any trajectory advantages that lighter/faster bullets might otherwise have, and the few times I've seen it work on elk, it was perfect- elk that were essentially DRT with an exit wound. I guess my other experiences with Accubonds factor in too, as I've only seen them work about exactly how I like to see bullets work.

Flinch I think you are overstating your case against .338's just a "bit". It's a very shootable cartridge and many guys can and do shoot it well. I do.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Originally Posted by Flinch
I cringe when guys show up packing .338's or ultra mags, because 99% of the time, they can't shoot them well at all. Flinch
....................Whew! Glad I`m in the 1% minority!
bigsqueeze I'm still laughing. Man that is a good one. Whew! Glad I'm in the 1% minority! Love it!

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
There is no best caliber or bullet for elk/moose. Dozens of calibers and bullets make this job perfectly if you hit on right place from right distance.
Do not have experience with 338. Was once close to buy for Africa but end up with 9,3x64 brenneke (293gr bullet). Familiar also with blood on eyebrow (twice) using high recoil guns. Main reason for that is too close scoop and wrong body position. Using 9,3x64 caliber for Africa hunting and reason is simple. If you pay 500$ or more for trophy there is no room for mistake and big caliber give some advantage. But to be honest largest Kudu bull take down with 30-06 Norsler AccuBond from 100yrs and it drop down same place where I hit it...
Newer used 9,3x64 caliber for moose/elk as in my opinion too large. Twice used for wild boar. They drop down is same place and both time damage was huge...
Therefore my favorite for moose/elk hunting is 30-06 Balzer93, bullet 185-200gr Lapua Mega as reasonable caliber and mild recoil. Have also 308 and 7x57 and also this calibers work well. Important is how gun suits in your hand and how familiar you are with that...

Every man like gun and caliber what they have...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Calvin
Anybody ever blast a big bodied animal with a 225 Accubond out of a 338 Rum, at under 200 yards? Seems like it's got a ton of energy. I'm don't think I should be concerned about zooking the 'bond?

BTW, I'm a 1%'r too.

Haven't from an Ultra but I've shot quite a few 300+lb pigs within 10 yards without so called bullet failure. MV was around 2885. Recovered one bullet after a Texas Heart Shot. Bullet was resting next to the pig's jawbone that showed textbook expansion.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I did a survey at an SCI SHOT show once and the .338 handloaded with 250gn Nosler was far and away the most preferred combo with international hunters. What was interesting was hunters are similar to benchrest shooters, in that if they hear of a combo that works, they tend to follow that line.

The downside, or enlightening side, is that these same people who settle on a combo exclusively, tend not to experiment and are seldom open to other options.

As an example, one member was a bear hunter. didn't matter what kind of bear, if he was hunting overseas, he was hunting bear. His combo was a .338 handloaded with 230gn Failsafe's. He was happy with that.

Regarding the .338 for general use, no-one likes recoil and the fact is that "everyone" will shoot better and more confidently if the recoil is reduced as much as possible. One way it can be done is with lighter bullets. Because of the demands of mondern hunters, bullets have improved to the point where they are trustworthy, particularly in .338 caliber.

I know I handloaded some 200gn Nosler BT's for a hunter going after Reds and he reported excessive bullet blow up. but that was around 20 years ago and modern BT's are not the same bullet, just as the bad experiences from the mid 80's with Bt's when first introduced, are no longer representative of what is available today.

The .338 with any Nosler Partition is a good elk combo for any hunter who can handle it. Fact is, it is adequate for any non dangerous game on the planet, no point picking out a single species.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by bloodworks

BTW, I'm a 1%'r too.

Haven't from an Ultra but I've shot quite a few 300+lb pigs within 10 yards without so called bullet failure. MV was around 2885. Recovered one bullet after a Texas Heart Shot. Bullet was resting next to the pig's jawbone that showed textbook expansion.

Your RUM only gets 2885 FPS with the 225 AB?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by DayPacker
After looking at a lot of different forums I believe the 338 win mag with 225 nosler partion is the best Elk round. True or false?

Define "best". In my 338 Win I use 225 TSX bullets in my 338 Lapua I use 300 grain SMK, but it is for long range shots not normal hunting ranges. I normal hunting ranges the TSX bullets do what I want done and put everything that I have shot or seen shot on the ground pronto

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by bloodworks

BTW, I'm a 1%'r too.

Your RUM only gets 2885 FPS with the 225 AB?

No, I said I haven't with an RUM. Those were WM velocities.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

My bad.......

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Regarding the bloody eyebrow: I've never gotten one though I did get hit on the brow firing a ZKK 602 my dad used to have when I crawled the stock. However, as the facts bore out, the reason was poor stock fit.

I'm looking forward to the 375 Redneck is putting together for me with Charley Santoni. At normal hunting ranges it'll do what the 338 will do. and no I don't labor under the misapprehension I need it. on the contrary, i just want it. just so happens I expect it'll be more than up to the task for this fall's moose hunt. as I imagine would the 338.

The way life should be.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Never have killed any elk myself with 250's. Have killed a handful with 200, 210 and 225-grain bullets.

But one thing I learned long ago that it's much easier to gain considerable experience with bullets by giving them out to other hunters, and to go along any chance I get with other hunters. I distributed some 200 Ballistic Tips among local friends when they first came out, but only after I'd done some penetration tests and used them myself on enough game to know that they'd penetrate sufficiently. And I only gave them to people I knew would make precise evaluations of performance, not just say, "Yeah, it worked good."

I've also used the .338 on other large North American game considerably, including musk ox and Alaskan moose, and in Africa even more, where I also observed other people using it a lot. My experience is that African game of about the same size as elk (especially gemsbok, blue wildebeest and zebra) is a very similar bullet "test." The data gathered was considerable, encompassing dozens of animals and a wide variety of bullets from 200 to 275 grains, though probably the most-used bullet weight was 225 grains.

My overall observation is that on both elk and other elk-sized animals, in general 200-210 grain bullets kill at least as well or better than heavier bullets from the .338, and are easier to hit with because they recoil less.

They also penetrate plenty, except possibly on rear-end shots. I've only shot one animal up the rear with a .338, a blue wildebeest that was already wounded. It worked, but took a while, despite the 250 Nosler Partition ending up in the front of the chest.

The 200 Ballistic Tip has always penetrated plenty. Some people object when any bullet is found in an animal, but my experience is that the 200 BT either exits or ends up under the skin on the far side of the animal, after doing a lot of damage. The most penetration I've seen was on a bull gemsbok of around 450 pounds, shot quartering toward me at about 150-175 yards. The bullet broke the shoulder and the spine (the spine drops down between the shoulders on a gemsbok) and ended up under the hide on the rump on the far side, at least 3-1/2 feet of penetration, some of it through heavy bone. That is one of the few I've recovered, and I've seen the 225-grain Nosler Partition and AccuBond recovered just as often on the same size animals.

Oh, and all the friends I gave 200 Ballistic Tips to 20 years ago reported fine results on elk. My most trusted friend shot a big cow at 300 yards. The bullet got part of one shoulder and the bottom of the spine, and exited.

I should also point out, however, that I've shot more elk with .30 calibers than any other bore size, the cartridges ranging from the .30-06 up to the .300 Weatherby, including my three biggest bulls. None have gone more than 25 yards, and my biggest bull went only 20 feet after being shot with a 180-grain bullet at 250 yards--from a .30-06. So I'm also a natural skeptic when people start proclaiming something "the best" on any kind of game, partly from having seen so much game shot with various cartridges and bullets.

With the .338 and elk part of my skepticism comes from a survey on the Campfire several years ago--after yet another post proclaiming the greatness of the .338. Turned out he had shot one elk with the .338.

So I asked everybody else to post their experience with the .338. It turned out that very few had taken more than a dozen animals with the cartridge, and the average was between 4 and 5. In my experience, a dozen animals is a start on learning what a cartridge will do, but several dozen is a much better number. Four or five doesn't tell us much at all.

Thanks for the reply John.
Havent killed a dozen elk with the 338 yet, so I guess I have a few more to go before I realize what a fine elk round it is. Back to the original question I ask. How many ELK have YOU shot with a 338 win mag with all bullet weights?

Last edited by 338rcm; 04/08/11.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 42 invisible), 2,679 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,506
Posts18,452,593
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.