Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
My sister in law decided to take up hunting and was given a sporterized mauser 98 in 8x57. The factory ammo availability was pretty poor and the factory loads are extremely mild. I really had my doubts about its performance on moose and bears.

I got a set of dies and some 200gr Speer hotcore bullets. The speer book says this bullet was designed for the 8mm Rem mag so they should be plenty tough enough at 8x57 velosities. A stout load of ramshot Tac gets those 200gr speers going 2457fps and the accuracy was pretty good.

It was a pretty fun little cartridge to play around with. So much so that I could'nt handle having a set of dies without a rifle to shoot them in. I picked up a little brno that somebody had sporterized with a williams peep online for a pretty good price and set it up as a truck gun. A xs white line front blade combined with the williams peep really worked out well. The gun I got doesn't shoot nearly as good as my sister inlaws but will get the job done, 6 shots in about a 3.5" group at 100 yards.

I have been having some trouble finding data for heavier bullets in the 8x57. There are some really interesting bullets out there from 200-250gr that I think would be pretty nice for moose and bears. I will mainly use this rifle for targets of opportunity, its always a good idea to have a rifle in the truck, and would keep shots under 150 yards. Maybe 200 on moose. I would think that at these ranges a good 220-250gr bullet might be just the ticket.

Anybody have any expereince with the heavier 8mm bullts out of the 8x57? Or any experience with the cartridge on big game. Some of the specific bullets I have been looking at are the 220 and 250gr woodliegh RN, the Hawk 220 and 250gr RN, and 220gr sierra GK. Any load data for heavier 8x57 loads would be really appreciated.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The 8x57 is an excellent cartridge and capable enough for elk in these parts. Never used one on a big bear. I've tried IMR 4350 (of course grin) and 200 gr. nosler partitions in my 8mm mauser and it was surprisingly accurate. I always thought it would be the cats meowe on elk, but never had the chance to use it on elk. I did however load up some 175 gr. sierra gamekings for my friend to use on a mule deer hunt and it was very lethal on a nice muley buck. DRT with no tracking at all. If it were me though and big bears were in the picture, I'd stick with a well constructed bullet like the nosler partition and load it up to where the rifle shoots the best without giving up much in the way of velocity (load up close to max if you can, always start off lower and work up of course). The Nosler manual lists the load I used:

200 gr. partition bullet
52 gr. IMR4350 (max book load and also compressed)
CCI 200 (what I used)
R-P brass

Velocity for this load out of a 24" barrel around 2700 fps.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
bsa...I was shooting these with good results out of my VZ242601fps, never killed anything with it as it was sold from my hands before I got a chance to prove the round.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
If a 180 gr in '06 is considered sufficient for big bears, why wouldn't a 200 gr .323" at 2600 also work? I'd think that you could get better velocities from a slower powder like Big Game perhaps? Here is what their manual lists:

Big Game 200 NOS A-BOND 45.0 2,330 50.0 2,550 54,000 3.115

When I picked up a .325 WSM I was told by several people that the 195 gr Interlock is a really tough bullet and a great length for an 8x57. Also, if you look at the rating on the 180 gr NBT it is built pretty tough as well, plenty for elk, but bears I'd do as you're looking to w/ a heavier bullet.

The 220 Sierra is REALLY long and built for the 8 RM so unless you have a super long throat I wouldn't think you'd get enough umph behind it to make it expand fully, although the Hodgdon site suggests you can get about 2400 w/ H 4895. That'd be a heckofa thumper!

Good luck! I'd love to hear about your results. This is a severely under rated cartridge and I think it'd be great for the applications you're seeking.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yep. Pretty much what everyone else says...a 200 gr. NPT or Accubomb, or a 195 gr. Hornady and you'll be golden....

I used an 8x57 on my first safari, before these better bullets were available and it killed elk sized Kudu and such just fine... grin The one next to my desk as I write this is an 8x57 Kudu..

[Linked Image]

grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Chandalar Jack
bsa...I was shooting these with good results out of my VZ24@2601fps, never killed anything with it as it was sold from my hands before I got a chance to prove the round.

Yep, its a great load and has worked in 3 different rifles I've owned (actually one was my dads bone stock VZ24) and they shot very well. I wouldn't hesitate one bit when it comes to the 8x57. I'm kicking myself in the azz for selling one to a buddy that couldn't live without it blush. These rifles are puzzycats to shoot and can be very accurate. This rifle shoots this load into 1 - 1.25 moa (3 shot groups blush) very consistently:

[Linked Image]
This is a sporterized GEW98 (I think that's right??). Anyway I gave it to my dad to go along with his full military VZ24 and the other day when he was visiting he was bragging about it being just as accurate as my rifles grin. It shoots good but not as good as my pre-64 and others I have. He shot my pre-64 OFFHAND at 100 yds and made a very impressive 2.5" group (damnit now he wants it too blush).

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
I used an 8x57 on my first safari, before these better bullets were available and it killed elk sized Kudu and such just fine... grin The one next to my desk as I write this is an 8x57 Kudu..

Cool mount. Love the light tips....

Murphy was a grunt.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yep. Pretty much what everyone else says...a 200 gr. NPT or Accubomb, or a 195 gr. Hornady and you'll be golden....

[Linked Image]

grin

Ingwe, I'd have to agree that is very nice.

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Been a LOT of schit, all over the globe, killed with the 8x57mm.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd like to have a 700 Classic in 8X57.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not much I'd be afraid to hunt with the old 8x57.

Never could see what all the hype about the 338 Federal was about when we already had the 8x57 around confused - Just more good marketing I suppose.
When loaded to similar pressure the old mauser is a better round in my experience.

I've got one built on an old Argentine Mauser action from way back when that used to play hell on hogs.
Any of the standard cup an core bullets work well at 8x57 velocities and the Nosler Partitions are gold...............

RL15 loads well with the lighter bullets & the same powders that load well in the 30.06 do the same in the 8x57 with heavier bullets.

Ted

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is nothing In North America that I would not shoot with a 8 x 57. I have limited shooting of one years ago. I can get an 8 x 57 barrel for my blaser. Its a good cartridge, just American Loadings are a little on the moderate side. Not bad but you can do a whole lot better with some good handloads, 200 gr Nosler Partitions is were I would start.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Another 8x57 question. In order to get this rifle zeroed with the peep sight I ran out of adjustment on the peep and had to shim the appature sight base .045" to the right to get it zeroed. Im guessing that the front sight might be slightly off center causing this, also the crown is pretty ugly. I'm thinking of cutting it down to 20".

Anyone else ever play with a shorty 8x57? What kind of velosity loss did you have??

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fremont

Cool mount. Love the light tips....

The lite tips are a part of what makes those horns so great. White tips come on old bulls because they are worn down and polished. Young bulls do not show thw ivory.

Ingwe you gots all the goodies.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Swampman700
I'd like to have a 700 Classic in 8X57.

So would I, I'd love a nice 8x57 hunting rifle. I started hunting with an old 98 Mauser in 8x57. The 8 had every bit as much thump as the 30-06 that replaced it.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 8x57 was the German comparison to the US .30-06 when it came to taking big game like stag or bear in the respective countries.

I have several excellent surplus Mauser models in 8x57. Life is good.

Last edited by croldfort; 04/10/11.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Can't think of much I'd not hunt with an 8x57. I run 180gr TSX and 196 Norma Oryx mostly. I do have 5 boxes of 220gr Woodleighs, but haven't killed with them yet.

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never owned or shot one so my .02 cents ain't even worth that much but whenever the 8x57 Mauser is mentioned the first thing I think of is the write up in Nosler manual #3 by Al Miller (1st paragraph):

"Among other things, terror can beget respect--that's why I always think of the old 8x57 with mental cap in hand. We were introduced the hard way, that round and I, one hot July day in 1943, just off the Sicilian coast. An ME-110 knifed over the ship I was on, and as it thundered past, the rear gunner cut loose, raking the deck behind me as I sprinted for a nearby gun tub. Luckily, he missed--but anybody who thinks an 8mm is a popgun never dodged bullets from one!"

He might have been refering to pompous Col. Askins who in the same manual said (writing about the 8mm Rem Mag) that "any comparison between this modern number and the antiquated 8x57mm is sorta laughable". I don't know of anyone who would compare the two but maybe it made the old Col. feel more manly.

Anyway, I remember reading those quotes as a kid and they always stuck with me. I wouldn't mind a 8x57 Mauser one bit, but truth be told, I'd rather have the Ruger 77 RSI in .338 Federal over on the .338 Federal thread. Besides, I already have a Whelen so I can't lose!

Use that Mauser and keep us posted on game results (complete with pics, of course).

BTW, sweet Mauser Kudu, Ingwe--very classic!

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe that the 8X57 has been used for years in Namibia (large German population) on all manner of plains game. No reason it shouldn't work equally as well on what you plan to hunt.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used the 195 gr. Hornady with IMR4064 for deer and bear with excellent results. The Speer 170 worked on deer also without complaints. If you clean up the crown it might tighten up considerably.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (1lessdog, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,922 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,454,007
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.