Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
The old (mine is 34 yrs old) SVEA 123's are awesome, I've heard nothing good about the new ones. If you are a tinkerer, score one of the old ones and rebuild it. You don't want the self cleaner, IMO.

MSR liquid fuel stoves MUST have the pump rebuilt fairly often with constant use, I'd say yearly. If not, you'll have a fireball on your hands. A friend kicked his into the creek to put it out.

I've read that the Optimus Nova is the most bulletproof stove out there currently.

I agree... I've got a 36 year old 123 that doesn't have the problematic "self cleaning" apparatus the new ones have and which apparently cause all the issues. Mine has years of use and will burn auto fuel as well. Still going strong.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by kenaiking
Jetboil rocks. I'd like to see the size of the new Zip Jetboil...

I could never get over the weight and bulk of the original but the Sol Ti is short (like the zip) and light. I think its suppose to be like 8.5oz.

Cool Eric, I'll check it out. Finally dragged my butt over to Prolite last Friday... can't believe I haven't been over there til now. What a great little storefront and good folks to visit with!

Yup its a pretty awesome store. I love how they have a digi scale right in the open so you can just weigh whatever you want smile

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I guess I'd call the Whisperlite Int'l the "30-06" of stoves and the Simmerlite the "308" of stoves.

For whitegas only, Simmerlite is awesome and is mostly what I use these days, although I still use the Svea 123... and Jetboil, and Snowpeak Giga. grin

Great analogy there!

I've never used the multi-fuel feature of the whisperlite. Nice feature but only useful if I was on a boat or ATV or vehicle based trip and ran out of white gas...but if vehicle based I probably have enough white gas. Hence my desire for the simmerlite, but with four backpacking stoves in the arsenal it's hard to justify another $100 purchase.

I bought my Pocket Rocket for a solo trip that also involved flying commerical air. Has any flown the MSR white gas stoves? It seems that if you bought fuel and fuel bottle at the destination, you'd be fine to fly the stove. However, the Denver airport has a Whisperlite in their glass showcase of "prohibited items."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Hey Eric, can you fit the stove and a small canister nested in the Sol Ti like the original?

Might not have seen the question Eric...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

MSR liquid fuel stoves MUST have the pump rebuilt fairly often with constant use, I'd say yearly. If not, you'll have a fireball on your hands. A friend kicked his into the creek to put it out.

Yep, and thats why the MSR liquid fuel stoves cannot be considered in the 30/06 class of stoves as asked by the OP.

Ours were the older "gray" pump models and my pard's failed when he needed it the most (cold and dark conditions) - one of the parts cracked and it came apart in the dark.

MtnHtr

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MtnHtr

Ours were the older "gray" pump models and my pard's failed when he needed it the most

In other words an older generation part...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Hey Eric, can you fit the stove and a small canister nested in the Sol Ti like the original?

You sure can.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

You sure can.

Great... now you got me thinking and that's a dangerous thing.

Where'd you get yours Eric?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Whelp with hours waning on my 20% discount at REI I took the plunge on the SOTO. After discount and dividend it was $43 so we'll see what I think about it. Figure I already run the SOTO canister stove.....why not complete the ensemble. laugh

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Whelp with hours waning on my 20% discount at REI I took the plunge on the SOTO. After discount and dividend it was $43 so we'll see what I think about it. Figure I already run the SOTO canister stove.....why not complete the ensemble. laugh

Slut grin

PS Luke, report back with a review if you would...

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Slut grin

PS, report back with a review AL if you would...

HAHA takes one to know one wink

Will do on the reports on how it compares to my Whisperlite.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yep, and that's why the MSR liquid fuel stoves cannot be considered in the 30/06 class of stoves as asked by the OP.

Ours were the older "gray" pump models and my pard's failed when he needed it the most (cold and dark conditions) - one of the parts cracked and it came apart in the dark.

MtnHtr

They fixed that problem years ago. The pump O ring would often fail due to improper maintenance. The new pumps actually self purge instead of leaking fuel all over like the old ones would. Also the valve that lets fuel flow is now metal so it wont crack and leak.

When I worked in bike/ski shops we often did double duty fixing stoves for people. We often could not repair Primus, Brunton, Snowpeak, Etc. The MSR and Coleman stoves were quick and easy. It's not that the other stoves are bad stoves it was just often we could not get the parts. Where as MSR and Coleman parts are plentiful and easily replaced. The whisperlite, Dragonfly and XGK can be rebuilt and cleaned in minutes.

I would not venture out on any kind of extended trip with out spare parts for any stove.

SH08
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

HAHA takes one to know one wink

Ain't that the truth... have sold 6 packs in the last 6 weeks.

I think they've been multiplying in the closet grin

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Ours were the older "gray" pump models and my pard's failed when he needed it the most

In other words an older generation part...

The newer gen pumps still have issues. I almost bought a newer pump but they are failure prone as well even with constant upkeep.

MtnHtr

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[/quote]

Great... now you got me thinking and that's a dangerous thing.

Where'd you get yours Eric?

I snagged it from jetboil. They are kinda hard to find right now. You should be able to just buy the pot if you wanted to upgrade your original.

SH08
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
So a $99 stove that requires a yearly $15 MSR "Annual" Stove Maintenance Kit to keep it going is termed the 30/06 class of stoves?

I'll pass if I were in the market for a new stove.

MtnHtr

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

The newer gen pumps still have issues. I almost bought a newer pump but they are failure prone as well even with constant upkeep.

MtnHtr

Based on what experience of your own?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

You should be able to just buy the pot if you wanted to upgrade your original.

That's kind of what I was thinking...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So a $99 stove that requires an a yearly $15 MSR "Annual" Stove Maintenance Kit to keep it going is termed the 30/06 class of stoves? I'll pass.

MtnHtr

No as long as you keep them maintained they last for years.

MSR is not alone in pump failure. I saw all stove company's pumps fail. The most common reason was not lubricating the O rings. If you think about it you need to keep the o rings lubricated weather they are rubber or leather. White gas is a solvent and often leaks into the pump assemblies. If you don't lube them often they fail.

One kit will last a really long time. The most common failure is the O rings. If you want to buy the kit it should last you a lifetime.

All you have to do to keep them running strong is clean the fuel line, clean the jet and lube the pump. It takes about 3 minutes.

SH08
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I put 2 or 3 kits in mine over the years with no issues but I did not use my MSR every year either (bought in '87). I was present when my pard's failed however. He wound up using a cheapo Peak One canister stove I brought up, and I had enough sense to cover some firewood with plastic a few weeks before. The newer MSR pump models still have check valve issues I was told so down the road it went.

It only takes one failure in the backcountry under adverse conditions to develop a sour taste, and I prefer to focus on the hunt instead of fiddling with fussy equipment.

Another reason I ditched the MSR pump was from a hunters perspective, when on the move I stored the pump assy in two HD ziplocks to keep it clean. But I know I was giving off fuel fumes though I could not smell it. And don't ever get Coleman (WG) fuel on your hunting clothing - ask me how I know. The MSR pumps are fine for the yuppie backpacker crowd.

MtnHtr

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,847
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.