Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hi Guys:

I just got off the phone with Brent at Feathered Friends.

For those that don't know, Feathered Friends is one of the premier manufacturers of goose down products in the world. Their sleeping bags are creme de la creme. I know, because I've had a Feathered Friends Ibis since 1998, and it is STILL going super strong. It gets used an easy 50 nights a year, between me and my family. It is primo!

Anyway, so after drawing Montana deer and elk tags (YA!), and with the memory of 18-below zero temps last year, I decided I'm in need of a good (OK, GREAT), goose down jacket. Off-the-shelf stuff typically leaves my 37-inch sleeves unhappy, and since I know FF does custom work, I called today to inquire.

Turns out Brent frequents 24hourcampfire and did his rifle research here. He hunts deer, and says a lot of the guys at Feathered Friends are hunters. He says staffing is an issue during hunting season. grin

WHO KNEW? In my ignorance, I saw Made in Seattle, lumped them with the backpacking/green crowd, and made assumptions that don't hold water. And so this post is meant to clarify that issue to the extent I can, and hopefully, turn some folks on to a pro-hunting company!

Feathered Friends had my business before, and let me tell you, they have my business now. Made in the USA! Absolutely top-tier stuff! And they're hunters!

This is the type of company I think deserves our support. So I'm buying a jacket to go with my sleeping bag.

And here's a link to their website:

http://www.featheredfriends.com.

Don't expect Made In China (or Vietnam ... you listening Patagonia?) products or prices. Expect world-class stuff at prices that reflect it.

Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Thanks for the "guiding light". When I need another down product, I'll look at them first.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
just goes to show, you never can tell. laugh

Sam......

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by RickBin

It gets used an easy 50 nights a year, between me It is primo!

OK Rick, so what your trying to say here is your wife kicks you outta the house 50 nights a year? grin

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Good stuff, thanks for posting this. I have two FF bags. Rock Wren and Winter Wren.

IC B2

S
S
Thanks for the review Rick.

I've been a lurker on this site for a while now.

If anyone ever wants to talk about gear I'm more than happy to discuss. We've been making some of the best down jackets, sleeping bags and bedding (what do you sleep under the other 315 nights a year) in Seattle for the past nearly 40 years.

We specialize in down but have a full store of nearly anything that you would need for an enjoyable trip in the outdoors.

I'm the director of operations for this company and myself as well as Max (retail store manager) are avid hunters. Last year we hunted Mulies, Elk, black tails, and Caribou here in the mountains of the NW and Alaska.

Give us a call anytime - 206-292-2210

Thanks!

Brent Zwiers
Feathered Friends
119 Yale Ave. N.
Seattle, WA 98109
206-292-2210

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Rick just gave you the best reccomendation ever..I too will look your way when in the market...
Thanks!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I've set foot in the Big 'Attle retail store. Just a block or two from the downtown REI. Ive got one of their stickers on my fatty skis.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been looking at FF for my hunting bag. I had a Cabela's Alaskan Hunter but took it back when I saw the made in China label. I do some backpacking too and everything I've seen or heard of FF is top notch.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I will keep them in mind if I ever lose my mind and leave FL in the winter again.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For those that don't know, Feathered Friends is one of the premier manufacturers of goose down products in the world. Their sleeping bags are creme de la creme. I know, because I've had a Feathered Friends Ibis since 1998, and it is STILL going super strong. It gets used an easy 50 nights a year, between me and my family. It is primo!

Rick,

Did you check with this sites owner before posting an ad? grin

Looks good folks and we need another goosedown comforter for the camp.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Well i'm guilty of ignorantly thinking Feathered Friends was a greeny outfit after seeing Seattle as their location.
Have two western mountaineering bags -i'll be looking at FF and will recommend you guys to my friends !

It's great that FF can make custom garments for guys like Rick Bin -standing 8'8" tall makes them hard to find off the rack. laf.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
wish i would have known bout this in January when we were in Seattle.....gonna have to let the wife know cause she needs a warmer winter coat....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
D
D
Brent,
I was in your store last month looking at your jackets. I noticed that they seemed to be made in Canada now. Being it was determined in would need a custom sleeve length, I was wondering if the custom jackets are made in Seattle? I am sure the Canadian jackets are top quality, but I still like to support local when I can.
Darob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
Rick just gave you the best reccomendation ever..I too will look your way when in the market...
Thanks!

And I just bookmarked your site for the next time I need gear. Looks like you guys just made a lot of friends. grin Bear

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Off-the-shelf stuff typically leaves my 37-inch sleeves unhappy,

How are your knuckles holding up? grin

Thanks for the tip!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
WHO KNEW? In my ignorance, I saw Made in Seattle, lumped them with the backpacking/green crowd, and made assumptions that don't hold water. And so this post is meant to clarify that issue to the extent I can, and hopefully, turn some folks on to a pro-hunting company!

Well, you're from LA we could lump you into a lot of crowds. wink

I have frequented FF for many years, and each trip back to my homeland they are near the top of my list for a visit, even if just to wander around. They make damn good gear, have a damn good staff and don't care whether you snort granola or eat fresh liver and onions, they just want you to be outfitted in the best gear no matter how you enjoy the pine needles.

I need to figure out how to spend more money here next time I'm in Sea-Town.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been buying FF gear since around '90 or so. Three sleeping bags, good from 40 above down to 40 below, plus a honkin' big parka. All good, good stuff.

Scott

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'll recommend to my brother. He's big into winter camping.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Not for nothing, and made in USA is great by me, but then why do they use Egyptian cotton? Just curious, and not looking to bash; their stuff looks nice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 10Glocks, 808outdoors, 21, 1973cb450, 12 invisible), 1,547 guests, and 690 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.