-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nikon Monarchs 3-9 are excellent scopes. I have 1 and wish I had more. I compared it to a VXIII 2.5-8 in a darkly lit Gander MT. The difference was quite evident. The Nikon was better. Not sure if the loopy had bad glass, but the difference was obvious.

The Nikon was also head and shoulders brighter and sharper than the new 2-8 and 3-12 Nikon Monarchs.

To MY EYES the Nikon doesn't lag behind the Zeiss Conquest by much.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Now, if you'd consider a 2-7 scope, the Vortex Viper has (again, IMO) the best bang/buck of any scope on the market today: "almost" Conquest glass, for $175. The Viper has a pretty significant size & weight advantage over the 4200, but either way you're getting really great glass. It's up to you whether or not 7x would cut it for your purposes, or if you'd really prefer a 9x on the top end.

FC

Absolutely +1 on the Viper (I now have three). I've also had good results with two Burris FFII's: a 4-14x42 and a 3-9x40. I've gone toward irons and smaller scopes so the 4-14 is going bye-bye; however, the 3-9 is still on my Ruger 10/22 in .17 HM2. Definitely decent bang for the buck but I'd still go Viperm - a phenomenal value.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Big_Bullseye
Originally Posted by old_willys
Local store had new Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40's for $299, hard to beat that.

Um - does that local store sell online? Give me their name because I am sure they ship right?

I just ordered a Zeiss 3X9X40 conquest. Shipped from PA to me total was $380. I would be curious to see who is selling brand new Zeiss conquests for $299

Turners have a chain of 15 or so stores out here and each week email out a "Wednesday off the hook special" all sales are one day in store only.

This weeks special is a CZ 455 American for $299

Ted
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Local store had new Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40's for $299, hard to beat that.

Um - does that local store sell online? Give me their name because I am sure they ship right?

I just ordered a Zeiss 3X9X40 conquest. Shipped from PA to me total was $380. I would be curious to see who is selling brand new Zeiss conquests for $299

Turners have a chain of 15 or so stores out here and each week email out a "Wednesday off the hook special" all sales are one day in store only.

This weeks special is a CZ 455 American for $299

Well thanks for the reply, sounds like a great little store. I would probably be in there every Wednesday buying stuff I don't need.

Doveryai no Proveryai

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
For $200 or less I'd say an FFII. I own a couple and I'm very happy with them. I have a few Leupolds and until you get to VX-II, the FFII's are the way to go and better than the VX-I IMHO.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Used Leupold 6x42.
Originally Posted by czech1022
I need a quality, but low cost scope for a .270 do-it-all rifle.

So far, the best quality/performance I've seen for $200 or below is the Bushnell Elite 3-9x40 for $199.

Anyone have any suggestions for a better price scope that can compare to the 4200? Or a better scope for the same price?

Thanks,
Czech1022

B.C. don't matter.............Laffin!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I put the Burris FF II 3x9x40 on my 257 wby as a temporary and that is where it has stayed for years. I used to have a conquest and they are great also. I just like the Burris and am used to it I guess. It ain't nothing fancy but it gets the job done for me. I have been amazed at how tough that scope is. If it dies tomorrow it won't owe me anything.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by crow_sniper
Originally Posted by KDK
I must be the only guy on the planet that doesn't like Burris.
Im not crazy about them either.

Art: this is your time! grin

My bang/buck leader is the 3-9 Conquest, especially on a long-action rifle. Just a killer scope. $350 ain't $200 though.......

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Just a tip, a lot of shops that handle used guns can sell you a good brand of used scope very cheap. Many people buy the rifles and want it priced without the used scope that is on it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MojoHand

Now, if you'd consider a 2-7 scope, the Vortex Viper has (again, IMO) the best bang/buck of any scope on the market today: "almost" Conquest glass, for $175. The Viper has a pretty significant size & weight advantage over the 4200, but either way you're getting really great glass. It's up to you whether or not 7x would cut it for your purposes, or if you'd really prefer a 9x on the top end.

FC

Absolutely +1 on the Viper (I now have three). I've also had good results with two Burris FFII's: a 4-14x42 and a 3-9x40. I've gone toward irons and smaller scopes so the 4-14 is going bye-bye; however, the 3-9 is still on my Ruger 10/22 in .17 HM2. Definitely decent bang for the buck but I'd still go Viperm - a phenomenal value.

no offense to either of you guys but the Vortex Viper ain't any where near "almost Conquest". I checked one out and the eye relief was terrible and the glass was not up to par with any of the mid range scopes that I have. To say that these scopes are anywhere near in the same ballpark as a Zeiss is a joke. But to each their own.

Doveryai no Proveryai

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hello! I have two of the 2x7x32 Vortex scopes. I also think that they may be the the best bang for the buck delivered for $175 scope out there.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

FC

no offense to either of you guys but the Vortex Viper ain't any where near "almost Conquest". I checked one out and the eye relief was terrible and the glass was not up to par with any of the mid range scopes that I have. To say that these scopes are anywhere near in the same ballpark as a Zeiss is a joke. But to each their own.

Must... resist... starting... "How-to-focus-a-Vortex" thread...

Seriously, though, we're all different. A shooter's gotta use his or her own eyes. From a practical standpoint, the OP can't go wrong with any of the suggestions so far: there's not a dog in the bunch.

The only thing more subjective than asking, "which is best", is asking, "what's best for the $.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For a sub $200 3-9 scope, there are many decent alternatives, I like the Nikon Buckmasters, Burris FFII, and the Weaver V9, and a used Leupold would be another viable option. I have had a pair of Burris FFII with Ballistic Plex reticle for about 6 years and both have served me well. I have no experience with the Bushnell 3200's that are being closed out. I guess the best one is the one you like the best, as it seems like personal preference is the real difference maker. I would certainly take a hard look at the Redfield Revolution as well. From what I have heard, they are quite comparable to the others listed and run about 20% less money. If you want to save even more, natchezss.com has the Burris 2-7x35 in realtree camo for just $109.95 plus shipping. I am trying to resist the temptation to order one "just to have on hand".

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

Seriously, though, we're all different. A shooter's gotta use his or her own eyes. From a practical standpoint, the OP can't go wrong with any of the suggestions so far: there's not a dog in the bunch.

The only thing more subjective than asking, "which is best", is asking, "what's best for the $.

FC

I assure you that it was focused properly. This ain't my first rodeo boss.... smile

In any case like I said, I was unimpressed but we all have to get what makes us happy. I for one would never just order a scope that I hadn't checked out somewhere in person. Gotta go check em out so you know what you like....

Last edited by Big_Bullseye; 04/20/11.

Doveryai no Proveryai

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
For me... best 3-9X for $200 and under = Bushnell Elite 4200.

For $400 and under = Zeiss Conquest w/ Z-Plex reticle.

Both damn near impossible to beat at their respective price points.

Ted
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
3-9 4200s are very good. I picked up a couple in Browning trim on closeout and are a couple of my favorites.

I love Monarch quality glass and eye relief as much or better than VX-3
The 3-9x40 Nikon Monarch is top gun Monarch glass in trim and lightweight (12.5oz) Prostaff body and current sale price at a few places is now $199.00

$199 with free shipping too:
http://dealspl.us/product/nikon-monarch-ucc-3-9-x-40-mm-rifle-scope

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

FC

FC

That's a great post, FC.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,661
Posts18,455,712
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.