Print Thread
Hop To
B
BWalker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Does anyone have any load data for the above. there is non listed in the manuals I have.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Load them light, not only because there's very little case space left with the capsule seated, but you don't want high velocity anyway. Faster means a worse pattern.

Try 5.0 Unique or Universal, or 3.5 Bullseye or RedDot.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The Speer manuals have a section on loading shot capsules, I assume your using their stuff. Data is very specific on what powders that have worked well and they all seem to be at the 1000fps level. Patterns at 15ft are going to be in the 15in dia range, so smallest shot is probably best.

My own experience with the 45colt is that the case shouldnt be sized to tightly, or the capsules will deform on seating, and a substantial roll crimp is recommended. OAL at 1.5in or as long as you can get in the cylinder.

I havent chronographed any of mine, so I cant say what my loads are doing, but I dont think they are as hot as the Speer #12 recommends.

Hey Rocky,, Nice to have met you at the SHOT show(at Gilberts, talkin to Jay)..

NRA Benefactor
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You too, pard!

BTW, I've worked a lot with shot capsules, and learned a thing or three. One is that the recommended loads are far too hot, giving "doughnut" patterns because the capsule spins up in the rifling. Milder loads allow it to slide a ways before it spins - which is why short barrels are best.

Two, a roll crimp is a mistake because it can and does cut the capsule. A pocket full of loose shot is the usual result. Instead, crimp just barely enough to remove any belling of the mouth and then run a wisp of superglue around the junction of brass to capsule. Let dry completely.

Third, your pattern will grow at the rate of one inch per foot of range. Past 10' or so the pattern will have holes in it large enough to start letting critters through. With more velocity and/or longer barrels, the spread is even worse than that.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I agree, the shot cups if they are old, will crack if the crimp is over done, and most of my stock on hand is Really Old. If loaded as I load, meaning the case is sized in an Old Lyman die, or not at all, then the crimp is needed to stop the inevitable bullet pull on firing. The super glue probably would be as good, just never tried it, yet..

NRA Benefactor
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
A few years ago I loaded up a batch using 7.0 gr of Unique and #9 shot. The pattern from my 5.5" Bisley averaged 0.63 pellets per square inch at 10 feet, a bit sparse. Didn't notice any significant donut effect in the pattern. I had the same problem RockyRaab mentioned with respect to the crimp. Don't make them too tight or you will break the capsule.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rocky has it exactly right. The old Speer #9 manual recommended 7.5 grains Unique for .44 Mag. with a caution that patterns, such as they are, expand if loaded hotter. Of course I had to see for myself, more powder, less powder. The 7.5 grains turned out to be just about ideal.

Right on the crimping part too, except I used glue that was pretty much the same as model airplane glue. And I got about the same on pattern growth. Did manage to knock dust off of clay birds, standing right behind the trap. Maybe an Impossible Shot guy can get a shot off before the range gets too great to break one but I can't. Now that was a hoot!

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
There is the sweet spot load for each barrel length / caliber.
I've never loaded for the .45 LC so I cannot help.
But for the .357 and .44 I have lots of data.

It is a mild load tho the .357 has a real kick to it.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

430 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10ring1, 163bc, 34 invisible), 2,432 guests, and 1,031 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.