Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
handsup Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Been years since I worked up loads for a new rifle and was shocked at my nephews Weatherby Vanguard with that tupperware monte carlo. Off the bench with 180 gr it kicks worse that a 300 mag with 200 gr or 375 h&h with 300s. What rubbish. Checked with McMillan and they have discontinued Howa/Vanguard, anyone got a recommendation? Found a 3/4 inch (N160 and Hornady IB) load after changing out one of the worst factory triggers I have ever felt so it's worth getting some stability in the stock. Gonna have enough $ in this thing to have bought a real rifle.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get a walnut Vanguard stock. They work fine and they don't suck. My buddy put his in a Hogue but it still isn't accurate.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
$50.00 saddle on a $10.00 horse.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The Vanguard MOAs come with a Bell & Carlson synthetic stock. I've only heard good things about them.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Swampman700

Nevermind

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glass bed a factoy wood stock

Or

http://www.accurateinnovations.com/weatherby/weatherby-rifle-stock.html

Or

McMillan Sako Classic
McMillan Sako Hunter

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Just put a Mcmillan Edge on a Howa. Now my horse and saddle are worth $60. I used the Sako style and am very happy. Lost nearly a full pound over the factory plastic.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a Vanguard Back Country and I couldn't be happier. It wears a Bell & Carlson stock that doesn't look too bad.

[Linked Image]

All stainless, 24" fluted barrel, weighs 6 1/2 pounds sans scope (Leupold FX3 6x), crisp light trigger, shoots little bitty groups.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm pretty happy with my $10 horse.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I put my .300 Wby Vanguard in a Rimrock stock (before Jim quit selling them to the public). I would still recommend that you send the barreled action to Jim and let him bed one for you...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Swampman700

The same could be said for a quality scope on an inexpensive rifle, but if the combo does what you want it to do, you just saved a few bucks.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Swampy loves talking [bleep].It's not smoke unless it comes out his chimney.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
handsup,

I've been down the road with Vanguards and the el cheapo stocks, including the B & C Medalist.
I finally ditched the B & C, bought a McMillan Edge Sako Hunter, had it bedded, and turned the Vanguard barrelled action into a super shooter. (Also added a Timney trigger, and Pac Nor barrel).

A lot of folks seem to like the B & C, but if you ever get the chance to compare one side by side with a McMillan, you'll see the difference in rigidity between them. I don't think floppy forends contribute to accuracy.

In other words, I bought a Vanguard for the action, and custom-built it from there.

Once all said and done, if I want to build up another custom job, I would just buy a cheap Vanguard for the action, and go all-in with barrel, stock, trigger, etc. from day one, instead of doing it a step at a time. I do really like the action.

Yeah, I could have bought a 'real' rifle (read factory), but where's the fun in that?

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I agree with changing the stock and trigger but I'd shoot it before changing the barrel. Some of the Vanguard barrels shoot as well as the custom you'll replace it with.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. Save up enough $$$ to buy a rifle with a real wood stock.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John Barsness aka Mule deer around here has written some TERRIFIC treatise on stock fit and stock styles for different body shapes including the best cover on custom rifles I have ever read, whish I could remeber which gun rag it was in but the point was, and it made sense when I read it is this: "Classic" and similar stock styles make sense for some peoples builds but will be painful for others to shoot and the same is true with the Weatherby or Calif look stocks. For some builds this stock style rocks it and for others it is a torture device. The most interesting part of one of his stories, to me, was when he pointed out that todays "tacticool" stocks really are not much different in design and shape from some of the more radical Weatherby or Calif look + designs of the 60's. Seen side by side it made sense! A real eye opener for me. If the WBY style stock hurts the rifle owner, change it out for him but no hard and fast rules apply to all stocks for all folks. The Classic style is not THE best for handling recoil for all people at all times even though I like the looks of it. I also like the looks of a Mk V and Lazermark. Pretty in a different way like a Lamborghini vs a Cadillac STS-V. (Jap cars all look like a Mossberg 4x4 stock to me.... smile )

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If you can't or don't want to drop the loot for a McMillan, go get the B&C Medalist. It's a great option in my opinion and they handle recoil very well.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
The article Safariman referenced about stock design appeared in the January-February 2008 issue of Rifle magazine. It is a great article. I wish I had discovered 20 years ago that a Weatherby stock fits me better than a classic stock, but I wasn't wild about the Weatherby look so I never tried one until 5 years ago. The Weatherby or Remington BDL style stocks are far more comfortable for me to shoot than a classic design due to the difference in contact area with my shoulder pocket between the two designs. There is definitely a reason that both of these styles evolved.

C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Much of the same information in the article mentioned by bberg7794 and Safariman is contained in JB's book "Obsessions of a Rifle Loony" in Chapter 6. (The entire book is a very good read and I recommend it highly.) CKW

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 51 invisible), 2,627 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,225
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.