Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Horseman
There may be a factory load it would shoot 1". But for $1900 I would like it to shoot better than just one load hovering at 1".

Which Sako M-85 did you have to pay $1900 for??....................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
BP-B6

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
New 85 Classic from Alex Roy @ Europtic. And that was cutting me a break. Many listed on GB for over $2000.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The hunters are quite a bit less but as far as the "Classics" from EuroOptic he was cutting you a break.

What mounts were you using?

I've had enough Sako's to be convinced that if the rifle isn't shooting MOA it's something other than the rifle. They have shot at least 1 5 shot MOA group before they leave the factory, if the one I'm shooting isn't doing as well I always wonder is it me, the mounts, the scope, the ammo or what? I KNOW the rifle is an MOA gun. At least that's the way I think with Sako's. With other brands there's usually a few things that need to be done before you can be sure it's not the rifle itself............................DJ

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I was using Optilock 1 pc ringmounts on this particular rifle and there was no sign of movement and no change in POI after removing and reinstalling. Scope was a proven VX3 from another gun. If I had to guess I'd say sloppy chamber is the problem on this gun. Noticeable stretch above the web on fired cases and the fired cases don't even come close to chambering in other 270's. Neck sizing helped a bit.

I'm not saying all 85's are junk. I'm sure yours are accurate as you say they are. I just haven't had good luck with them. This is why I keep going back for more but I think I'm done after this one.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Sako 75 Finnlight 270 Win. and it's a gret rifle.

I'm not a fan of Chuck Hawks.

Last edited by 25-06 Lilja; 04/19/11.
IC B2

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
My .223 Sako 75 Hunter has been an amazing rifle since day one. It has the habit of shooting several loads and bullet weights to the same point of impact, something I find quite pleasing. The action feeds cartridges so smoothly I almost have to look to see if I really put any in the magazine. It is the most accurate bolt gun I own and many local coyotes have been on the receiving end of mine.

My only complaint (a major one) is that I don't think the bluing process on the barrel was properly 'stopped.' I tried every rust preventive known to man during my first few years with the rifle and after a month or so a rag would come off red when wiped on the barrel. Finally tried paste wax and the problem, for some reason, totally disappeared. The action and bottom metal did not have this problem. Years ago I had a Rugar 77 with the same issue. These are the only two rifles I have ever had rust issues with in 50 years of gun ownership.

I also have a Sako AV 30-06 with a Classic stock that I enjoy greatly.

Last edited by InTheWoods; 04/20/11.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I havent read any reviews on sako rifles, but from what I know from shooting others rifles, I cant see them being over-rated in any way.

Gunner

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My Model 85 Stainless Synthetic 375 H&H is - without a doubt - the finest non-custom rifle I have owned in almost four decades of buying rifles.

Other than selling it for less - I don't know how it could be improved upon.[Linked Image]

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Pigster, count me in as a SAKO fan, I have a 75 and two Model 85's. I am very interested in the Classic Deluxe model as well. Do you have any idea on a time frame that they will hit these shores?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Me too. They are one of the first rifles I recommend when my clients ask what new rifle to buy.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by 458Win
Me too. They are one of the first rifles I recommend when my clients ask what new rifle to buy.

Phil, your endorsement says a lot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Horseman
I was using Optilock 1 pc ringmounts on this particular rifle and there was no sign of movement and no change in POI after removing and reinstalling. Scope was a proven VX3 from another gun. If I had to guess I'd say sloppy chamber is the problem on this gun. Noticeable stretch above the web on fired cases and the fired cases don't even come close to chambering in other 270's. Neck sizing helped a bit.

What you've described is pretty much completely out of character for Sako's. I've got to think that somehow yours was messed with or ??? ............................dj

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I have no idea whether it will be imported by Beretta-USA. Someone who carries more clout with the upper brass should give them a call.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
They had to wait for this replacement rifle to be shipped from Beretta. I cut the factory tape at my FFL. This came from Sako f'ed up. As did the first one that needed to be replaced because of uneven beadblasting on the barrel. I wanted for it to be my new favorite rifle but the whole experience soured me on them. I know my experience is not typical, but I didn't get what I paid for.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
I had a M75 Sako in 25-06 which had been re-barreled. I got rid of it because it didn't perform to my satisfaction. (Note: It had been re-barreled before I bought it.)

At a later date I bought a M85 Finnlight in 06. Love it. If I were to complain about anything it would be the lack of a 24" barrel.

Jim

Jim, If you don't mind answering; What scope, rings and ring height did you use on your M85 Finnlight in 06?

Thanks smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Regardless of your feelings on Chuck Hawks his assessment of Sako 85 is correct (Some of his other articles, not so much). He states it is a good rifle but he takes exception to their advertising. He is right it is a great rifle but if you want controlled round feed or that is important to you this rifle is not for you because it is in no way shape or form a controlled round feed action. If you don't understand why it isn't a controlled round feed it will probably be a great rifle for you.

I had a Sako 85 greywolf, terrific rifle but not controlled round feed and same as some other posters all ejected rounds hit the scope and fell back in the action jamming it every time. I will not use the super high rings so had to send it down the road. I really wanted to love it after spending 1400 for my dream rifle but it left me disappointed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Could you be stock crawling and burying your line of sight? Would it be possible to post a pic of you mounting the rifle with your line of sight in relation to the scope centerline??

Also, other than having a non-traditional three lug claw extractor, that dependent on chambering, may require a bit more cartridge movement, how is it different than a current factory production rifle having a traditional full length extractor? The only Sako M85 I've owned was a 338WM, and you'd need to monkey with your bolt work a great deal in an attempt to cause any feeding issues. It's not impossible, but pretty darn near impossible to cause any jams. Never owned a Sako 338Fed with the short action stroke like the one tested by Chuck Hawks, but I have owned several new in the box short action M70s with full length extraxtors that had similar issues as described in the Chuck Hawks review which required some feed work to correct. Don't see where it is an exclusive issue to the M85.

Best smile

Last edited by GaryVA; 04/22/11.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Chucky don't know everything. I have a bunch of the old L-61 Sako rifles. I like the early ones with the Bofor barrels. Sako are the best out there

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have also owned a pile of Sako 75/85 rifles, im no Sako fanboy like many on this thread but i do love the fit, finish and feel of the rifles, i never had a problem with sako synthetic stocks, i actually liked them for their lightness and feel but im no stock snob and have no problem with injection molded stocks......on the other hand I am also under no illusion that every Sako rifle will shoot 5 shot MOA groups, yes Sako makes that claim and most of my rifles would live up to the guarantee but i also had a few that absolutely would not shoot even a 2" 3 shot group much less a 5 shot MOA group.......and almost every one Of my Sako 30-06 action length rifles had the very common ejection problems ( hitting the scope ) though none of my .308, or .300 WSM rifles had this issue, I always used low rings as I cant stand a scope that sits and a mile over the reciever, i dont see how anyone can possibly get a proper cheekweld with such high scopes......Sako rifles are overall good rifles but not the best thing since sliced bread.....Ha!........Hb

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
They are both well made rifles with some flaws.

I had a Sako 75 in 7-08 that was the most accurate factory rifle I've ever owned. Consistent .25"-.5" groups with premium factory ammo. However, the magazine dropped out of the rifle during a pig hunt and the rifle was sold after that.

Took a 75 in .300 Win on safari about 10 years ago. Had ejection problems with the empty round hitting the scope and falling back into the action. Decided to use my .416 for everything for the remainder of the safari and sold the 75 upon my return.

Now have a Black Bear Model 85 in .308. Light, handy, accurate, handles well, no ejection issues and the magazine stays put. It is not a true controlled round feed action, but for PG I don't consider that a deal breaker.

An 85 Black bear in 9.x62 Mauser should be a good pig rifle, providing it doesn't have ejection issues.

My suggestion would be either a Winchester 70, Kimber, Mauser 98 or Dakota, depending on your price point. IMO, Sako still has some work to do to perfect their rifle.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
687 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 77 invisible), 2,741 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,639
Posts18,398,984
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.