Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Coyote_Hunter: I do not disagree with you on any particular point. You provide sound logic on the economics of the matter.

Truth sounds like hate to those who hate truth.
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Some years ago, I saw the 180 Interlock SP kill a cow elk at nearly 300 yards from a friend's 30-06. I do not recall his load, but over the chronograph, my notes show that it ran right at 2547 fps at 15 feet from the muzzle on average. My friend was always concerned with accuracy first and loaded his ammo that way.

Broadside shot. The bullet hit a rib going in, clipped the top of the heart, and exited. Not a lot of damage, but a dead elk. We were in the mountains north of Challis, Idaho, but I do not remember the elevation.

One cow elk is not much to go on, but I would expect your 2510 fps load would perform similarly under the same conditions.

Got it covered with the 22 LR, 30-06, and 12 gauge.
The rest are just for fun.
NRA Life Member
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it [bleep] thru a meat azz.......a .308 with a 180 will seal the deal.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
shot a mule deer with a 165 gr sierra HP a few years ago and he went down right in his tracks...its theonly time that has happened for me. That bullet is wicked on deer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by no experience
shot a mule deer with a 165 gr sierra HP a few years ago and he went down right in his tracks...its theonly time that has happened for me. That bullet is wicked on deer.

x2......Deadly and accurate

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Gunnut308, you'll be happy I bought another 308 grin. I have to make the 308 brotherhood proud of me somehow blush. It's a neat little winchester model 100 (pre-64) in great shape. I was even happier I bought it after I shot it grin.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sweet Lil' rifles. Had one bout 20 yrs ago and traded it off frown.....NOW I've got the wants for a Hawkeye or SC M70 in .308. Love to find one with really nice wood. If not stainless-synthetic will be just fine. Gonna look around tomorrow

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunnut308
Sweet Lil' rifles. Had one bout 20 yrs ago and traded it off frown.....NOW I've got the wants for a Hawkeye or SC M70 in .308. Love to find one with really nice wood. If not stainless-synthetic will be just fine. Gonna look around tomorrow

Good luck with your search. I honestly couldn't tell you which rifle I like the best out of the ruger and winchester blush. They're both extremely well built rifles and they both shoot very well with the hunting loads I've worked up for them.

Funny, I've got the hawkeye all weather rifle and love it. Recently bought a FN made model 70 fwt and that thing is growing on me (even with the moa trigger whistle). Here's the 3 I've got now:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I'm suspecting I'll use one of them for deer hunting this year grin

Here's a better pic of the ruger and fwt:
[Linked Image]

I've settled on 47 gr. of RE-15 and the hornady 150 gr. sp flat base interlock for the 2 bolt guns, but haven't worked on loads for the 100 yet. Here's how the ruger and win fwt shoot with the same load:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Damn......Now that makes me want to buy both. Nice pair of freezer fillers. Which one you gonna bloody first?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunnut308
Damn......Now that makes me want to buy both. Nice pair of freezer fillers. Which one you gonna bloody first?

eni meni mini mo I guess laugh. Maybe I'll take both and if it's a nice day I'll take the winny out and if it's like it was last time I deer hunted (blizzard damn near crazy) I'll take the allweather hawkeye.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bsa, You must have the twin to my Ruger, right down to the group size. That is just about average group size for mine, which is going about .770". Only outward difference is that it wears a Leupold VX-II, and has Leupold low rings.

I tried a Laminate stock for it, but it just felt too "clubby", so the factory tupperware went back on.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey Vic, I actually like the factory synthetic (plastic) stock on the hawkeye. It fits me very well and doesn't have that "clubby" feel. I also like the fwt design on the model 70 too, but it is a little more "clubby" than the ruger. From what everyone is saying the hawkeyes are great shooters. I have had to glass bed mine though to get the consistency out of it blush. I've also installed a lighter trigger spring and polished up the sear engagement area of the trigger. They're great little rifles.

BSA MAGA
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Redbeard - I have a .30-06 "carbine" (was once a full-sized Ruger 77) with 17 inch barrel. I have no idea what it's MV is and don't care. It is accurate and yes, drops pretty fast when it get on out there. i've taken a number of moose to 100 yards with it, a sheep at 330 yards, and a caribou at 356 long, open coundtry paces.

I'd take your outfit hunting with whatever bullet weight it shoots well and never give it a second thought.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[Linked Image]

One shot knocked down this large bodied muley.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Shot placement, shot placement and shot placement. Too many think they NEED the biggest, newest, whiz bang magnum. The 308 with a good bullet and good shot placement will kill anything on the American continent, providing the shooter does his part.....did I mention shot placement?

Have to be OUT THERE!
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 37 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,509
Posts18,452,629
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.