Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by RDFinn
How much of a price difference is there between the Burris FF and a closeout deal on a 4200 3-9. If it wasn't much or it is feasable, that is the direction I would go. I've heard of people getting these closeout deals between $200 and $250.
I think I could probably sell this Burris to a buddy and get enough, well probably a tad more than it would cost for a Elite 4200 3-9x40 from Cabela's for $200. The only reason I don't want to do this is I came from having a decent 3-9x40 on this rifle and it just wasn't working for me. I never found myself using anything under 5 power, and I often found myself wishing I had more power. I'd like the glass of the Bushnell Elite 4200, but it seems like once I get into the higher magnification ones the price increase is huge. I really want something with a minimum of 14x on the top end, and the higher the better. I also want a max of 5 or maybe 6x on the low end. That way it will fit all of my needs in every situation. Both of these seem to fit that category pretty well, but it seems like to step up to much better glass you have to pay 2 or 3x the price, and you don't seem to get 2 or 3x the glass quality.

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Burris scopes have been tough as nails for me.
Same here for my Burris FFII.

B
B
I agree with the 4200. Save your $$ and go with the 4200 4-16x50mm. I have two of the old side focus versions and they are super clear and plenty of power for the ranges I shoot at. I also have a few of the pentax pioneer original model 4.5-14x42 scopes, from what I hear they are very similar to the burris fullfield II line. They have been pretty excellent on clarity etc. The reticle is a little fine for right at dark, but its a nice built scope for what I paid for them. The fit is super tight on them as well.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Bearwolf32
I agree with the 4200. Save your $$ and go with the 4200 4-16x50mm. I have two of the old side focus versions and they are super clear and plenty of power for the ranges I shoot at. I also have a few of the pentax pioneer original model 4.5-14x42 scopes, from what I hear they are very similar to the burris fullfield II line. They have been pretty excellent on clarity etc. The reticle is a little fine for right at dark, but its a nice built scope for what I paid for them. The fit is super tight on them as well.
I really like that 4200 4-16x50, but I see they sell for around $420 and I'm just wondering if I'm really going to see that much difference between it and the Burris or 3200 to make it be worth the extra cost. To be honest, that's more than I paid for both of these scopes and I feel like for my needs the glass in the Burris is more than enough, and the 3200 so far seems decent. I'd like to test it out more in the field, but so far seems decent.

Last edited by slowr1der; 04/22/11.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've got both and would opt for the Burris for a couple of reasons. The first, is the crappy service I recieved from Bushnell in regards to the 4200 I sent in to them to have fixed. The second reason is the FFII is a very good scope for the money. I've got 4 of them on different rifles and have never had a single problem with them. I do really like the clarity of the elite series though (3200 and 4200). I feel your frustration in choosing which one to pick as they are so close in comparison. However, I'd have to reiterate my feelings from my previous post and go with the one with the better CS. I believe you mentioned the eye piece on the Burris being a drawback and I'd have to agree with you there: You can't put a flip-up type scope cover on it to help keep moisture and dust out which is a drawback for me, but I still continue to buy and use the FFII's. My last 3-9x40's (Burris FFII) were less than $150.00 shipped (new) from ebay and the 4.5-14x42's were selling for $242.00.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm always glad when you RH bastiges can't use the Butler Creek scope covers since I can't use them on any scope since they don't make a LH version! grin laugh grin

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
B
B
The only 3200 Ive looked through is the 5-15x50 model and the clarity to my eyes wasnt the best. Out of the two models you list I would go for the burris ff II if I had to chose between only those two models I would have a 4.5-14x42 burris on the way smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by nsaqam
I'm always glad when you RH bastiges can't use the Butler Creek scope covers since I can't use them on any scope since they don't make a LH version! grin laugh grin

It's funny the amount of times we've talked and you still don't remember who's left handed on this forum. I use them and they work just fine, just not on the burris FFII's where the whole eye piece rotates when you crank up the power. When you turn the power up it places the flip-up in the way of the bolt, making it a hindrance to say the least...... I think we need to start a thread on "who's left handed in this damn forum" just so you don't feel out of place nsaqam laugh. How about here's some I know of:

1. LBP
2. nsaqam
3. Redneck
4. Bea175
5. bsa1917hunter
6. utah lefty
7. War eagle
8. Jim in idaho
9. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you are not alone in this forum nsaqam.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like I said in another thread, I think that lefties are disproportionately represented on this site.

A few others I can think of offhand are
Moosemuncher, srwshooter, and MontanaMarine.
There are many others though.

As to the use of BC scope covers I can't use them on any scope because when I place the flip up tab so it clears the bolt handle the damn cover flips directly in front of my right eye and blocks all my peripheral vision.
How hard would it be for BC to make a mold for a LH version?

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I purchased a Burris FF II 3-9 with the BallisticPlex reticle to experiment with three years ago. It ended up on my Hart-barreled Ruger .280AI and has given me great service. Has held zero for the last 2 seasons of riding in pickups and on ATVs and delivered one-shot kills on a mule deer buck and a nice 14" antelope. After 30 years of using Leupold scopes I am impressed with the Burris.

OTOH, my son bought a Bushnell 3200 3-9 last year and asked me to mount and sight in the scope for him. I was VERY disappointed with the inaccurate windage and elevation adjustments on that scope. After every adjustment I had to tap the turrets with the handle of a screwdriver to get any movement of zero. Even so, the first shot after the adjustment always caused additional movement as evidenced by the shift in impact of the second and third shots from the first shot. I hate scopes that do not accurately shift zero on the first shot. It's one of my demands from any scope. The Burris does it, the Bushnell doesn't. Sell the Bushnell.

BTW, I never had a Leupold "hang up" on adjustment either. From about 1968-9 until October 24, 2009, I never shot at any game animal with any scope other than a Leupold and I have never been disappointed with the performance of those scopes. Never had to send one in for repair either. I just bought my 10th one from slowr1der today, a used 2-7X33 VX-IIc. It will end up on a Browning BLR in .358 Win. Whitetails, black bears and Newfoundland moose better beware.

Also, count me in as another lefty. I remember when only Weatherby and Savage made LH bolt guns. Thankfully Remington 760s, Marlin 336s and Savage 99s allowed us to experience scope-sighted accuracy in a hunting rifle.

Last edited by RaystownRon; 04/23/11. Reason: additional comment

NRA Endowment member and proud of it.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RaystownRon
I purchased a Burris FF II 3-9 with the BallisticPlex reticle to experiment with three years ago. It ended up on my Hart-barreled Ruger .280AI and has given me great service. Has held zero for the last 2 seasons of riding in pickups and on ATVs and delivered one-shot kills on a mule deer buck and a nice 14" antelope. After 30 years of using Leupold scopes I am impressed with the Burris.

OTOH, my son bought a Bushnell 3200 3-9 last year and asked me to mount and sight in the scope for him. I was VERY disappointed with the inaccurate windage and elevation adjustments on that scope. After every adjustment I had to tap the turrets with the handle of a screwdriver to get any movement of zero. Even so, the first shot after the adjustment always caused additional movement as evidenced by the shift in impact of the second and third shots from the first shot. I hate scopes that do not accurately shift zero on the first shot. It's one of my demands from any scope. The Burris does it, the Bushnell doesn't. Sell the Bushnell.

BTW, I never had a Leupold "hang up" on adjustment either. From about 1968-9 until October 24, 2009, I never shot at any game animal with any scope other than a Leupold and I have never been disappointed with the performance of those scopes. Never had to send one in for repair either. I just bought my 10th one from slowr1der today, a used 2-7X33 VX-IIc. It will end up on a Browning BLR in .358 Win. Whitetails, black bears and Newfoundland moose better beware.

Also, count me in as another lefty. I remember when only Weatherby and Savage made LH bolt guns. Thankfully Remington 760s, Marlin 336s and Savage 99s allowed us to experience scope-sighted accuracy in a hunting rifle.

Great post raystown...

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Agree that the 4200 is a big bump over the 3200. I think Nikons are better than 3200's, at least the Japanese ones, probably not those from the Philippines. I have a VX-3 3.5-10x40 CDS. I think It's a big notch above a 3200. Check out the SWFA scope comparisons on line and see where they rank them. They have the VX-3 right up there near the Conquest. I personally don't think they're quite up to the Conquest, but they're pretty darn good. Save up for a 4200 if you're going Bushnell. There are some great deals out there right now on the Conquest 3-9x40, in the $350+ range. IMHO, that can't be topped, quality for the buck, period.

IMHO,

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 4200 is a much better optical comparison to the FFII than is the 3200, IME. So I would say "no", you won't see a big enough difference between the FFII and the 4200 to warrant the additional cost.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Well, I've had a fair bit of experience with my Burris Fullfield 3-9x40 and some experience with the 4.5-14x42. So I decided to mount the Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15x40 and give it a shot. I took it to the range today. My initial impressions when looking through it were pretty good. Optically, it would do 100% of what I wanted it to do. Was it as nice as a Zeiss Conquest? No, but it wasn't bad at all and was a fair bit better than the Nikon Prostaff I had on this rifle previously, and the Leupold VX-I I've got. I don't think it's quite as good as the Burris, but I didn't have them today to do a side by side comparison, but when I did one at shorter ranges earlier in the week the Burris seemed to have a very slight edge.

Now onto sighting it in. I shot it at 25 yards to see where it hit. I made a few adjustments. It needed a ton of adjustment as it was about 6" low and 6" left. I adjust it by just turning it and not even counting the clicks. I took another shot and hit about 1" high and 1" left. I adjusted it 16" clicks down and 16" clicks left and hit right in the bullseye. So then I moved on out to 100 yards. I shot a few shots and it seemed to be hitting about 1" high and 1" left at 100 yards. I moved it 4 clicks down and 4 clicks right. For some reason it now hit about 1" low and 1" right instead of in the bullseye like it should. So then I made some more adjustments and got it centered. The problem I had is that the adjustments didn't seem to be very accurate. I didn't do a box test, and kind of wish I had, but I wanted to do some other shooting too, so I decided to hold off on the box test. However, I'd be willing to bet it wouldn't pass just because the adjustments seemed to be geared towards someone who will zero the rifle and leave it set. Once set it seemed to work perfectly, but the adjustments just didn't seem all that accurate. This is the only Bushnell Elite 3200 with regular turrets I've had to compare this on. It could have also been me pulling on those two shots, but I kind of doubt it as when I moved it back it got pretty close. I had a 10x Elite 3200 Tactical a while back and it did seem to track pretty close.

So I like everything about this scope quite a bit except for the tracking. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't perfect either. However, since I do set the scope on this rifle and leave it alone I'm not sure it would bother me. That being said, I'm still undecided on which I'm going to keep. I think I'm going to use this one a bit longer to do some tests and see how much I like it, before making my decision. I think so far the Burris has the edge in glass(Slightly) and in tracking, but there are several other features I like better about this Elite 3200.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Burris really shines in low light. I've often been out hunting with my buddy, and right at last light (twilight) we like to compare our rifles scopes for clarity, resolution, etc. He's got a Zeiss Conquest on his rifle, and I take my Tikka deer hunting quite a bit, which has a Burris FFII on it. Both scopes are 3-9x40. On equal power settings it's hard to see a difference during those twilight moments. My buddy has said to me before that he thinks he can see a bit more detail with my Burris, and that it's a bit brighter. They seem to be about equal to me.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's good to know, Jordan!

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slowr1der
How much of a price difference is there between the Burris FF and a closeout deal on a 4200 3-9. If it wasn't much or it is feasable, that is the direction I would go. I've heard of people getting these closeout deals between $200 and $250.
I think I could probably sell this Burris to a buddy and get enough, well probably a tad more than it would cost for a Elite 4200 3-9x40 from Cabela's for $200. The only reason I don't want to do this is I came from having a decent 3-9x40 on this rifle and it just wasn't working for me. I never found myself using anything under 5 power, and I often found myself wishing I had more power. I'd like the glass of the Bushnell Elite 4200, but it seems like once I get into the higher magnification ones the price increase is huge. I really want something with a minimum of 14x on the top end, and the higher the better. I also want a max of 5 or maybe 6x on the low end. That way it will fit all of my needs in every situation. Both of these seem to fit that category pretty well, but it seems like to step up to much better glass you have to pay 2 or 3x the price, and you don't seem to get 2 or 3x the glass quality.

I will say, 5x on a 3x9 can be a very different thing than 5x on a "big" scope like a 4.5-14 or 6-18 or the like.

Just an observation.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slowr1der

I will say, 5x on a 3x9 can be a very different thing than 5x on a "big" scope like a 4.5-14 or the like.

Just an observation.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Wouldn't 5x be 5x no matter what the scope is? I'm learning more and more everyday. I appreciate all the posts guys.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Depends. Some manufacturers claim 5x magnification, when the true mag is something like 4.6x, etc.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (35, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 13 invisible), 1,369 guests, and 838 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,059
Posts18,463,249
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.