Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Speaking of Deer Bullets..My all time favorite Deer bullet is the 130 grain Sierra out of my 270 Win...Talk about slam dunks...

Kinda the VLD Ultra of old... grin

Jayco

BP-B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by logcutter
Speaking of Deer Bullets..My all time favorite Deer bullet is the 130 grain Sierra out of my 270 Win...Talk about slam dunks...

Kinda the VLD Ultra of old... grin

Jayco

I'm hearing you Jayco. I've had great luck on Minnesota Whitetail with 140 gr. Sierra Gamekings in my 270 Win. Extremely accurate bullets with great terminal performance. Can't beat it with a stick.

Jason

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Don't get me wrong here, because I shoot lots of premium bullets, but deer just aren't all that hard to kill when their ticket is properly punched. I've killed a fair number with plane-Jane Winchester power points, for example, and have never noted much difference in the "degree of dead."

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have killed a lot of deer with Corelokts. My dad and brother in law use them from their 7mm Rem. mags. I use them sometimes in my 7mm-08 and .30-06. About half of my family use nothing but the Corelokt. I have tried various bullet designs and I find that as far as performance on deer size game, it is very hard to beat. I have used the more expensive bullets in the past and in my opinion, I rather have the cheaper soft point style bullets such as the Corelokt, Power Point, Power Shok, or Interlokt.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Hi Motorist

Sorry about that, but Oryx are different from Corelokt because they are bonded core bullets, made to expand without loosing much weight and also to do less meat damage (bloodshot meat) because in Scandinavia where they are made meat is sold in shops and marts.
What they have in common is cup and core.
Here in France most of the Core lokt shot are 35 Whelen on wild boars in driven hunt. Even if they are not NPT, TSX, A-frame they do their job if the hunter do its own.
The Oryx also and a very good bullet it is. With it i shot around 130 pieces of game including swedish and finnish moose, red deer and wild boars. Nothing bad about it except maybe that is not a flashy spectacular bullet.

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by idahostalker
So i was thinking this morning about bullets and how big of a difference each bullet really has on game. Now dont get me wrong, I LOVE TTSX's, partitions, accubonds, etc.. and thats all i really ever use in my rifles, but do you think they are actually worth the extra $$$?

Most of the time they are not necessary. Occasionally a situation is encountered where a premium might succeed where a C&C might not. All the shooter will never know is that the bullet they chose performed well or did not.

For myself, I don�t worry about bullet cost when hunting big game. The only Cup & Core bullets use are in the handguns and levers in .44 Mag, .30-30 and .375 Win.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
IMHO for deer and game <500 lbs I would think premium bullets are not required and doubt there would be any statistical difference in either provided adequate caliber/ bullet weight used. However statistical data is very hard to collect in field conditions. If you feel better with premium bullets killing too dead is not a problem so have at it if you want but it really isn't necessary as decades of std bullet use has pretty much proven.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
a piece of road gravel at 2800 fps will kill a deer.

but Cor-Lokt is the LAST bullet i'd take after a 450# bear

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I've seen a lot of large game taken with Core-Lokt's, and in my opinion they work very efficiently.

Although I prefer Nosler Partitions I wouldn't have any concerns about taking the largest North American game using heavy for caliber Core-Lokts.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
'Nam Vet '67, '68, '69
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some of the best performing bullets and deepest penetrating I've ever tested have been .270 150 grain Core-Lokts. I'd shoot anything in North america with that bullet if I had the opportunity.

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Well it hardly seems fair to have a corelokt discussion without hearing from the other side. If this guy could talk he'd tell you he absolutely hates them.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[Linked Image]

Core-lockts are fine but I've observed larger wound channels with WINCHESTER Power Points.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have only 1 kill with a core lokt. A caribou in NFLD in 2001. About a 50 yard shot with a 150 gr out of a 308. Bullet broke a rib on the way in and on the way out. Animal was down after a 30 yard death run.

"I am at heart a meat hunter."
John Barsness, The Life of the Hunt
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
hi Marseille
You probably right about Oryx...for my 30-06 I have used for year Lapua Mega what is similar to Oryx. And pleasant with results.
About selling game meet in shops don't know but Finns nearly never sell out game what they have shot. Have been in Finland for hunting several times over years and shoot there 6 mooses. The hunting club normally share all game meat among members.
Why use such strong caliber for wild boars as 35 Whelen??? I have also 9,3x64 brenneke in "collection" and shot just to try 3 wild boars with that...results are terrifying from meat point of view...
normally use 30-06 Blazer or Krieghoff drilling 7x57 for wild boars. If you hit properly they do not run long.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
731 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 84 invisible), 2,736 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,700
Posts18,399,968
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.