Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
hntnnut Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm ready to retire my 20+ year old 9x35 Wind river binoculars, and am in the market for new binos. I've been giving a serious look at the Zeiss Conquest 10x40 B T ABK Binoculars, but can't seem to find much user imput on them. And am lookin to spend 1000-1200 no more
How do they stack up to others like the Swaro SLCs, Vortex Razer XDs,Zen Ray ED2s, minox, and higher end steiners? How does their warranty compare to others, has anyone delt with their customer service? How was your experiance?

Richard

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My opinion....wait for a deal on SLCneu in the classifieds here. I sold a set of Conquests to buy a 12 year old set of SLCs....Sent them in to Swaro and they rebuilt them for free.

The difference before the rebuild was dramatic....the difference after was astounding.

My $.02

Bruz

Bruz
"You can't scare me.........I have kids"

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I just recently went through getting a couple of new binoculars. I wound up with a new Razor HD. That is a hell of a good instrument. I actually came down to it and a deal each I had found on a Zeiss FL or a Swaro EL (non Swarovision) for about the same money actually. That may tip some over, but the Razor HD is that good. Besides that, it was new and didn't have to be sent off anywhere. Vortex has outstanding warranty and service too. I suppose what made the deal was the fact the Razor is as close to a US high end optic as there is, engineered, designed, and developed here. Made in Japan, but sold and serviced here. The devil made me do it I guess, but I don't think binoculars need to speak German to be excellent.

However Bruzer's suggestion is really a pretty good one as there are deals actually available on bonafide alphas (not deals on 20 year old way outdated Zeiss Classics or Leica Trinovids that were state of the art way back then) but good Swaro SLCneu, EL, Zeiss FL, and Leica Ultravid at or close to your price range. The older Swaros really don't give up much if anything in the realm of practical difference to the new Swarovision or the SLC-HD. WHen you buy used and if it is sight unseen, pe prepared for the possibility it may need to be serviced, if for no other reason for a "see if anything's wrong factory checkup".

If you get right down to it, anything you mentioned in your post will kick butt on your 20+ year old Wind Rivers. Whatever glass you get will make you wonder why you waited so long.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You might want to try out the Cabelas Euro binocular. It's a rebadged Meopta Meostar, with a C-note discount being a store brand.

"Alpha" type FOV, big sweet spot and built like a tank.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Also ones not talked alot here on the fire is the upper end Steiners. The C5 predators and the XPs, whether the Nighthunters or the Peregrins are great glass and you can get some good deals on them. The XPs in my mind having owned Leicas, Zeiss, Swaro and Leupold HDs, can run with the best of them. Their 30 warranty is great as well. Spence

PS They are also lighter than most.

Last edited by spence1875; 04/21/11.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Great points on the Cabelas euro and the overlooked Steiner Preregrine. The Preregrine in particular ranks right up there with the Zeiss FL, Swaro's, Leica UV, etc. Fantastic stuff and very, very tough.

I'd also take the gold ring HD's over the conquest every time.

Last edited by JGRaider; 04/21/11.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The Steiner is very good. I had both Peregrines from Doug for a review. They are out of the OP price range, but might be found used. I didn't find any when I was looking. The XP gives up nothing.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
hntnnut Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the replies, I was seriously considering the euros but a close review of their warranty and other changes Cabelas has made to their other warranty polices hap put them out of favor.

Richard

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Good price on a set of SLCs in classifieds now. Had to pass because my Minox 10x43 HGs came from Doug yesterday. Quite a step up from my Leupold Pinnacles.

Last edited by boomhand; 04/21/11.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
+1 on the Minox. Check out Doug's current demo/open box specials. Last December I have purchased a BV arctic hunter 8X42 for $120. Used it on a 6 weeks European hunt as an inexpensive beater to save my Zeiss classic 10X40. Guess what... roles have reversed. The old Zeiss became the truck bino and the Minox was used as the low light stand optic. Technology keeps improving faster than you can wear your optics down. Spending $2000+ on alfas is hard to rationalise-at least for me- when in 10-15 years it becomes obsolete.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
IMO the difference between the top binoculars and the "upper middle" grade binoculars is getting less and less every year. Those slightly lower grade glasses like the Minox and Vortex is getting better and better. Although I stil do not believe they are their yet. Close yes, but not quit there.

And for the ones that have achieved that pinnacle. Time still needs to pass to see how well they stack up.

Alot of guys speak greatly about the Razor's. And I believe they are good glass. But they just don't have a track record yet. You know if you want to sell a set of Swaro's or Leica or Zeiss that there wil be people standing in line to buy them. That has yet to be proven on the other models like the Razor.

And Vortex has proven that they will blow out product when they change their lines around. So I would hesitate before I put Swaro. money in the Japanese glass that has not proven itself in after markets. Just an opinion. Tom.

West By God Virginia
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
IMHO you may want to consider 8x binoculars. What you gain in optical quality over your 20 YO binocular will make up for less magnification and 8x is a good all around magnification. A really good 8x32mm is a good choice.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
pigster, plus 2 on minox. I bought a pair for Doug @ cameraland. I got the 10x43 HG's (germany) as a demo pair. They are top shelf. I just emailed him with what I was looking for and within a few days he had a pair. The are awesome! High speed ,low drag. I bought them as a present for my wife. She is a birder. mb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My friend has been looking at them for our trip to Kansas. I'm looking at Swarovski 8X30 SLC's. I have compared them side by side at the Bass Pro and it's a toss up. The SLC's have been discontinued except for the 8X30 and they're $899. The had 2 pairs the last member appreciation night and both were gone before I got there. I can get 10% more off a pair at the next one and I'm thinking about it.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
My opinion....wait for a deal on SLCneu in the classifieds here. I sold a set of Conquests to buy a 12 year old set of SLCs....Sent them in to Swaro and they rebuilt them for free.

The difference before the rebuild was dramatic....the difference after was astounding.

My same result with a pair of 20 year old 8X30 SLCs, I will only own Swarovski. The view speaks volumes.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The conquest is not a good choice-its not a slightly less good Zeiss FL, it is a middle of the road optic but its in a higher price tier.

Much better choices for around $1000

Minox APO German HG (cameraland demos)
Minox German HG (cameraland demos)

Steiner perigrine XP

Used leica ultravid

Used Swarovski NEU SLC

Its even possible to get a used Zeiss FL for around $1200 in good shape. Would be the best choice.

I have not looked through the Vortex Razor HD but I would spend my money on German optics if I was spending that much.

Last edited by Timberbuck; 04/23/11.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Eurooptics has a factory rebuilt 10x42 Zeiss Victory FL for 900 dollars. Check it out

http://www.eurooptic.com

Good luck in your search.

hntnnut Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for all the input, I think I need to make the 5 hour run to Reno and put my eyes on some of this glass before I decide, and then pay closer attention to the cameraland demos and eurooptic.coms used section (never herd of them untill a couple of days ago)

Richard

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (2500HD, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,652
Posts18,455,514
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.