Print Thread
Hop To
R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I have ordered 3 pair of Russell boots over the years. They are guaranteed not to leak. My 1st pair were their High Country Sheep Hunter boots ordered in 1994 I believe. Those boots leaked at the bottom of the tongue. My second pair were ordered in 1998 I think. Those were basically the same boot except 10" tall with no insulation instead of 14" tall with insulation. The 2nd pair also had some upgrades but they still leaked in the same area. Last July I ordered their Grand Slam Sheep Hunter boots with toe cap and poron insert and additional Water-Loc taped seams but when they arrived in December I found that they also leaked in the same area. I have long narrow feet and I pronate and have never had any luck buying off the shelf boots so I have gone the custom made to my measurement route. I like the fit and the life span of these Russell boots but sure have been disappointed in the fact that all 3 pair have leaked.

Here is my question- has anyone of you all ever had a pair of Russell Moccasin boots that have not leaked? They have offered to make me another pair but I just do not have much confidence that they can make boots that are waterproof. Thanks, Rufous.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Mine leak. I like'em, but I'd not buy another pair.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
They are old school in design and require heavy treatment with a wax type waterproofing not to leak. Obernaufs, Montana Pitch, Hubberds or straight Bees Wax. Do a search on the Bee's Wax method.

I think they offer Pittards Leather as an option which is more waterproof than some others. They might be able to re-do the tongue with this.

I have only the lighter Russell PH's and did not expect them to be waterproof. I don't expect any leather boots to be totally waterproof for long including those with GoreTex.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Every pair I've had leaked like a sieve and the moccasin toes separated from briar wear. Won't have those problems again.

R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Bloodworks- what have you done to solve the problem? Have you found another custom boot maker that makes a better boot? If so I would love to hear about it. I am hoping the addition of the toe-cap on this 3rd pair will prevent the stitching in the toe are from coming undone.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I wear LaSportivas a good bit and have 3 years on a pair of Danner snake boots now that are still waterproof. For custom boots I still have Whites and Wescos.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If one wants a durable boot that will not leak over long term exposure it will have to be solid rubber or plastic. Then one gets wet from the inside.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/21/11.

1Minute
R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
A buddy of mine as well as my brother are able to buy off the shelf boots with Gore-tex liners and they have dry feet despite being in wet conditions. I sure wish my feet were a more average size. I am guessing Whites and Wesco boots also give wet feet in wet conditions?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Unless a boot has a Gore-Tex liner they will leak.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Try www.craryshoes.com. His father started Danner boots. Expensive but I suspect he knows how to build boots. I have a pair by www.esatto.biz and they so far are waterproof with a light beeswax treatment. One piece mountainering boots with as few seams as possible reduce the needle holes. For true wet you need rubber or plastic and then have to live with the sweat factor. Gortex liners eventually abrade at the creases and die. If you really like to spend money and can wait Peter Limmer and sons build great boots.

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Meindl for the win!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've ordered/owned seven or eight pairs of Russell footwear over the years, have their catalog, etc. I've never seen it said anywhere that they're "guaranteed not to leak". Even if someone told me that about moccasin-construction footwear, I'd think they were lying.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Mesabi
I've ordered/owned seven or eight pairs of Russell footwear over the years, have their catalog, etc. I've never seen it said anywhere that they're "guaranteed not to leak". Even if someone told me that about moccasin-construction footwear, I'd think they were lying.

+1

Rufous,

If the tongue area is the only area that leaks, I'd beeswax the heck out of it. I doubt it would leak then! My Sheep Hunters, to date, have yet to leak after being beeswaxed.

I think Sitka is the resident expert on beeswaxing.

Alan

Last edited by GSSP; 04/23/11.
R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I am sure that liberal useage of Obenaufs will help but the problem is there is simply an open (small no doubt) path for water to enter the boot at the bottom corners of the tongue. Their literature states that a trimple vamp boot should be waterproof so I am hoping that they can del

Here are their comments regarding their double vamp boot construction: "The main reason for a double vamp is to keep out water. No moccasin leather boot does a better job of this than Russell. Silicone treatments fall far short because a needle hole is still a hole � and water will get through. Russell�s double vamp construction blocks water passage through all needle holes and seams."

And here they discuss the further benefits of their triple vamp construction (all of the boots they have made me are from the triple vamp method): "The cut away Triple Vamp clearly illustrates the foot surrounded by three layers of leather with no two seams facing one another. Water penetration is completely blocked. Before the outer molded sole is sewn on a rubber or leather midsole is attached but the stitching to attach it is blocked by the smooth inner vamp. Various outersoles (depending upon the style) are then attached."

They talk as if they have faith that due to the nature of their construction methods their boots should not leak. I am still waiting and hoping to find that a reality. I know water can eventually saturate leather, especially if untreated, but that is not the issue I have been dealing with.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 53 invisible), 2,575 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,241
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.