-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
S
My experience with after market Weatherby Vanguard gun stocks.
2 Weatherby Vanguard Sub-Moa's unchanged B&C pillar beds
1 7mm Rem Mag changed to BlackHawk Knox Composite
1 300 Win Mag changed to BlackHawk Knox Composite
1 270 Win Mag changed to B&C Medalist

1 SYN. factory stock (crap) for sale. Usable for a short canoe paddle. The good news Weatherby is adding a new model called the S2 whickh will have a new designed palm swell stock. This new stock will be available for after market consumption. Also available will be a new trigger for the S2, but I have switched to Timney's on all my Vanguards except one. It took my gunsmith 3 hours to fix it. Weatherby will do it for free if you have the patience.

No more Vanguards for me until I see the S2. My newer rifles are the Thompson Center Venture. With a little work they are outstanding rifles. The Thompsons have a total of 11 upgrades not avaiable on the standard Vanguard. They are a little more money but they are pure winners. I own two and have put together 4 others. For an entry level rifle there is no equal. There are no after market upgrades (stocks) only Talley's light weight single piece mounts which I use to build friends rifles.

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm not sure if the Vanguard is still the Howa action or not but years ago I got a 1500 cheap and had my local gun guru bed it (with trigger job) in a Boyd's thumbhole laminate stock. Other than being a bit on the heavy side it shoots great.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
BIG TIME +1 on the Venture..I have two and love them..mine were shooters right out of the box. I like my vanguards,b ut they took enough work to buy a near custom.

Originally Posted by ssineden
My experience with after market Weatherby Vanguard gun stocks.
2 Weatherby Vanguard Sub-Moa's unchanged B&C pillar beds
1 7mm Rem Mag changed to BlackHawk Knox Composite
1 300 Win Mag changed to BlackHawk Knox Composite
1 270 Win Mag changed to B&C Medalist

1 SYN. factory stock (crap) for sale. Usable for a short canoe paddle. The good news Weatherby is adding a new model called the S2 whickh will have a new designed palm swell stock. This new stock will be available for after market consumption. Also available will be a new trigger for the S2, but I have switched to Timney's on all my Vanguards except one. It took my gunsmith 3 hours to fix it. Weatherby will do it for free if you have the patience.

No more Vanguards for me until I see the S2. My newer rifles are the Thompson Center Venture. With a little work they are outstanding rifles. The Thompsons have a total of 11 upgrades not avaiable on the standard Vanguard. They are a little more money but they are pure winners. I own two and have put together 4 others. For an entry level rifle there is no equal. There are no after market upgrades (stocks) only Talley's light weight single piece mounts which I use to build friends rifles.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
There are a lot of experts out there when it comes to stock design and most are wrong becuase the select stock based on what is pleasing to their eye, favors a particular brand or the yhave limited experience.

Ask yourself this question, would you rather shoot a ruger #1 in .458 or a Weatherby .460 loaded back a bit to say LOTT spec's?

Classic stock shape is fine for most usual deer cartridges but turns into a pile driver in heavy chamberings. There ain't not no roll to it.

All the traditional heavy recoiling rifles of decades past, had either sloping combs to initiate roll, and in thelast 50 years, Monte Carlo design to emulate the same effect. You won't see a "straght" classic stock at all, and there is a reason.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Ask yourself this question, would you rather shoot a ruger #1 in .458 or a Weatherby .460 loaded back a bit to say LOTT spec's?

John:

Funny, you should pick these two as examples.

About 25-30 years ago, I had the opportunity to shoot a Ruger #1 in .458 together with a Weatherby .460 with factory Weatherby ammo. Both rifles wore the original factory stocks with original pads.

That Ruger hurt! Two rounds. After shooting those, I fired two rounds of full-bore .460 through the Weatherby. (Both rifles, offhand.)

Much, much LESS hurt. And that was with a shoulder already tenderized by the Ruger.

The owner of the rifles did it that way to educate me about stocks. Lesson learned.

- Tom

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by CLB
If you can't or don't want to drop the loot for a McMillan, go get the B&C Medalist. It's a great option in my opinion and they handle recoil very well.

I like this option. Check on line with Stocky. It may require some work. Glass bedding is a good idea, great idea if you can do it yourself.

DF

M
mlg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a synthetic/molychrome Vanguard in 270 win and changed the stock for a pillar bedded Hogue and all that changed slightly was the point of impact.

It still shoots .3" groups!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i have a (heaven forbid) butler creek synthetic stock on my 257 vanguard.
it sure chnged the way it felt, to the better.

all i did was bed the action and made sure the barrel was well floated the whole way.

it's an awesome shooter.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
nice looking rifle!

A lion does not concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

607 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 160user, 1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 70 invisible), 2,111 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,277
Posts18,448,462
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.