Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I just bought a used boat trailer from a co-worker. He threw his 14' aluminum boat in for free because it had been beaten pretty badly by being trailered too many miles on very rough roads. He had most of the structural damage repaired by having some welding done on it, but there are a lot of rivets that are leaking. He tried to tighten them up by peening them a little which helped some, but didn't completely fix the problem.

I'm wondering what suggestions the brain trust here at the Campfire might have. I've already heard suggestions that I should try JB weld or something similar. As stated earlier, the boat was free, so if I can't fix it it's not a big deal, I'll just sell it for what I can with full disclosure and pick up a better boat.

So, any suggestions? Thanks.

(Work keeps me from being able to spend much time here these days, so I'll check in from time to time each day.)

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
How much is aluminum scrap going for these days?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Replace the rivets or have them welded. A leaky boat is nothing but a pain, and nothing else will fix it without more of the same.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
...or that.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
How much is aluminum scrap going for these days?

That though has crossed my mind, too. smile

IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
There are ways of tightening up the rivets by peening them with a hammer.

I have an old aluminum jon boat that had the same problem. I used "roof patch" in a caulking tube to cover the rivets on the bottom side so it wouldn't leak. It doesn't look pretty but sure does work great. Cost was less than $2.00 and it took less than 15 minutes to apply.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NeBassman
There are ways of tightening up the rivets by peening them with a hammer.

I have an old aluminum jon boat with that had the same problem. I used "roof patch" in a caulking tube to cover the rivets on the bottom side so it wouldn't leak. It doesn't look pretty but sure does work great. Cost was less than $2.00 and it took less than 15 minutes to apply.

I did just what you describe on an old 10' flat bottom boat that I have. Worked good, but I had to reapply the stuff every year. Not a big deal, but I'm hoping to find a longer lasting solution.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
JB weld and trade out the bunks on the trailer so they support the entire boat lenghtwise.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have heard good things from several different people about this stuff.

http://www.cabelas.com/boat-care-appearance-cabelas-aluminum-boat-patch-1.shtml

Cabela's Aluminum Boat Patch

Repairs Leaks in Aluminum Boats. This fusion bondage epoxy will repair and waterproof aluminum boat rivets, minor cracks and small holes without welding. Easy to apply; no solvents or mixing. All you need is a standard torch and fine sandpaper or a wire brush. Instructions included. Large size sticks will handle twice the repairs of other kits.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
That cabelas epoxy works well. It held up on my dad's little $50 jonboat for a few years. This spring, he's having all the rivets replaced with larger ones and having a bunch of welding done. A friend of mine from high school is doing it for free, so I have no idea what it would cost to get done.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Be sure to "back-up" the rivet when you try peening it.

There are auto body tools that work for that (there is a name for it, but can't recall at the moment). You can also use a sledge. when you hit the rivet, try to do so in a way that will round over the edges of the head - don't just smack it flat.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
before you glue anything, realize if you glue anything you may never be able to weld them shut ever due to contamination.

I'd find an AL welder and have em all welded personally. Shouldn't be all that much cost.

OF course we have a similar one for the back pond, it never leaves the farm, it has epoxy on them and easy enough to repair again. But it doesn't take a beating either.

Only way for sure if its going to be used, weld.

You can also check with local schools with ag programs... sometimes they'll weld for the experience with a tig or spool gun, just for cost of supplies basically...

BTW a small welding job is usually not as small as you think.. gas for AL isn't cheap, could be give or take 100-200 bucks depending. could be more.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Replace the rivets or have them welded. A leaky boat is nothing but a pain, and nothing else will fix it without more of the same.

+1

To do it right, you have to remove the loose rivets and put in oversize ones. Someone has to hold a buck on one side while you peen them from the other.

Welding doesn't work very well on a riveted boat. The rivets have to hold the layers together tightly.

Jerry

Last edited by Jerryv; 04/27/11. Reason: added info

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The family farm had in possession an old 12' or 14' jon boat when I was growing up, not sure who really owned it, it just got passed around and used by whoever. Most of the rivets were pulled through or totally missing.

My buddy and I one day bought some new pop rivets and a bucket of washers. Used the washers because the holes that had pulled through were larger than the rivets we could come up with. Riveted/washered it all back together as tight as we could, then gave a good dose of silicone caulking everywhere we could squirt it. Sea-worthy it wasn't, but we didn't get too wet while fishing for channel cat in some farm ponds.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
take it in and have bedliner installed - or do it yourself - it will easily seal the bottom- after you tighten loose rivets - or bondo/epoxy each one along the seams -- adds minimal weight

AZCOUES___Border Rat Clan
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NeBassman
I have heard good things from several different people about this stuff.

http://www.cabelas.com/boat-care-appearance-cabelas-aluminum-boat-patch-1.shtml

Cabela's Aluminum Boat Patch

Repairs Leaks in Aluminum Boats. This fusion bondage epoxy will repair and waterproof aluminum boat rivets, minor cracks and small holes without welding. Easy to apply; no solvents or mixing. All you need is a standard torch and fine sandpaper or a wire brush. Instructions included. Large size sticks will handle twice the repairs of other kits.

I read the first few pages of reviews for this stuff. Looks like about 90% of the people are having great luck with it. Thanks for the link!

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
take a kid along with you and hand him a rusty bail can to bail with

That is how I was introduced to fishin'

I sluffed off on the job until I noticed how fast the old rotten wood row boat leaked, and how far we were from the shore of that ice cold Michagan lake...
back to bailin!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Long term fix- Two-man crew with a rivet gun and a bucking bar, tightening the ones that you can, and replacing the ones you can't.

Short term fix- any of the good quality epoxies, including the one from Cabela's. I've always gone with 3M ; they make very high quality products. Their 5200 is good stuff.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never seen it done but I always thought that truck bedliner goop would great way to seal a leaky boat. Tighten up the rivets as best you can and then cover the inside with a thin layer. It would add some weight though.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Bed liner is HEAVY....

Welding has solved many of the problems in boats here locally that were riveted so it does work. And seems to be much more permanent than re-riveting.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

379 members (1lesfox, 10ring1, 160user, 06hunter59, 16penny, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 1,744 guests, and 938 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,178
Posts18,465,565
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.