Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I acquired a McMillan std fill stock and it does not look like it is pillar bedded. I do plan to have the action bedded later, but do you suggest it be pillar bedded as well?

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have ordered them both with, and without, pillars. I've never noticed any kind of stock compression issues without pillars in my McM's so I don't use them anymore.

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I just pillar bedded one this weekend. I owned one without pillars in a Remington Custom KS about a decade ago and it did just fine. I just skim bedded it and left the escutcheon in place for the front action screw. All the rest were blanks that I've used pillars in.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always do the pillars at the same time as bedding. Here is one my 14 y/o nephew did under my direction just a few days ago. It is a simple job. I use my mill and lathe, but most could be done with a drill and a hacksaw.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Eddy, have you guys seen problems that would make you run pillars? Or is it more like "why not"? Thanks, Brad.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BradArnett
Eddy, have you guys seen problems that would make you run pillars? Or is it more like "why not"? Thanks, Brad.

If done right, pillars will definately give a good, solid, and stressfree platform for the action to rest on. Also, it will eliminate any chance of the stock, whatever the material, from being crushed from tightening or over-tightening of the guard screws.

All of the above are desirable if you are wanting an accurate rifle, and in my opinion, a rifle that will range from a little to a lot more accurate than a rifle with conventional bedding.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've ordered them both ways, but if you want/believe in the insurance value of pillars, McM's factory installed pillars are pretty inexpensive, at least they are compared to the prices that I generally see 'smiths advertising for the installation of pillars.

JEff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1234567

If done right, pillars will definately give a good, solid, and stressfree platform for the action to rest on. Also, it will eliminate any chance of the stock, whatever the material, from being crushed from tightening or over-tightening of the guard screws.

All of the above are desirable if you are wanting an accurate rifle, and in my opinion, a rifle that will range from a little to a lot more accurate than a rifle with conventional bedding.

123, So you've crushed McM's without pillars? I go TIGHT with bottom metal and haven't seen any compression with any of mine, ADL's/BDL's/and various mag systems.

I've not seen an accuracy issue stemming from a stock not having pillars....not yet anyways.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
More a why not when dealing with Mcmillan stocks. I have a couple that have no pillars that are fine.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Having a custom McMillan stock without being pillar bedded is like having a mail order bride with no boob's....you just got to have them to make thing's right!!!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is NO arguing with that kind of logic! case closed!

That's TFF!

I can't spell... Deal with it...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by boatanchor

Having a custom McMillan stock without being pillar bedded is like having a mail order bride with no boob's....you just got to have them to make thing's right!!!

Alright, you win! LOL.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Greenbrier
.....do you suggest it be pillar bedded as well?

Yep. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On a solid fill, the stock will withstand action screw torque without movement. McMillan confirmed this long ago in their testing. They install pillars in their bedding jobs on the solid fill stocks for technique only as it adds no additional strength.

Best smile

Last edited by GaryVA; 03/31/11.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I pillar bed everything; on the ones I do I just enjoy the process, and having all my stocks (not many really) pillar bedded gives me piece of mind and confidence in my equipment.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
All of the really experienced stock people I've talked to says it simply isn't necessary. I've got two that work fine w/o them. Had a 3rd which I sold for other reasons. Simply not necessary with a well built synthetic.
Barsness, in one of his latest books, discusses this at lenth. It seems tha the old military Mausers had pillar bedding. Apparently necessary because their stocks were made from indifferent wood that often became oil soaked. E

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
JB also uses the term "farmer tight." I believe there are people who could compress any stock material by cranking down on the action screws/bolts. I use a torque wrench on all my action screws even though I don't need to since they're pillar bedded. Again, it makes me happy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looking at a McMillan for a Ruger Mk II. Gift for a buddy who has done a ton of favors for me over the years. Never owned a McMillan before. His Ruger is bone stock. Any ever problem with the factory installed pillars not lining up correctly? (I'm assuming the answer is "no," but thought I'd ask before blowing five Benjamins.)

Murphy was a grunt.
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
McMillan's pillars are little more than tubing and hardly qualify as pillars in my mind.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If you are a guy who installs the stock, torques it down and leaves it alone, you probably don't need pillars. What I like about them is that it relieves you of the necessity of a torque wrench and when you take the barreled action out and put it back in, the zero is maintained. I used SS pillars and tight is tight. I travel with the barreled action and stock side-by-side in an aluminum shotgun take-down case inside a duffel. When I arrive at my destination, I reassemble and the rifle is still sighted in. I didn't have good luck with this before I went to SS pillars.

No matter what anyone tells you, a metal pillar is NOT going to compress as much as any fill that McMillan uses.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
722 members (16penny, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 65 invisible), 3,134 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,745
Posts18,401,279
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.