Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
McM's factory installed pillars are pretty inexpensive, at least they are compared to the prices that I generally see 'smiths advertising for the installation of pillars.

JEff

+1 McMillan only charges $26 installed.......

GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by BradArnett
I have ordered them both with, and without, pillars. I've never noticed any kind of stock compression issues without pillars in my McM's so I don't use them anymore.

I have quite a few varmint rifles with custom barrels and match chambers in McM stocks, they all shoot very tiny groups...it would take good wind flags and good conditions to tell the difference between any of them.

My conclustion that the individual barrel quality means more than pillar bedding McM stocks unless you are talking a benchrest rifle where you are not going to glue in the action and shooting registered matches are your hobby.

Of course, I had to put a halter on my excessive compulsive traits so I could own more guns. I even did tests on McM stocks, bedded and unbedded with custom 223's and 6 PPC's, there were about 3/8" difference in the group size. Then I did tests on non trued Rem 700's vs trued Rem 700's in bedded and non bedded McM stocks, still about 3/8 difference in groups. Next, I did a test on Rem 700 hart barrels (12" twists) in 243 AI in trued 700 actions comparing Ruger and Mauser actions fitted with same make barrels pillar bedded in McM Hunter class stock fitted with leupold 36 x scopes. Ruger and Rem gave same size groups, mauser was only about .065 larger groups which could attribute to many things including difference in how one particular barrel will shoot slightly better than others(which benchrest shooters are very familiar with). Next I started comparing the tricked out and non tricked out Rem 700's in 6 PPC to custom benchrest rifles with Hall M actions and Stolle panda actions. Again, there was very little difference, and the conclusion of which were best was determined by what rifle I was shooting on the day with the best wind conditions.

All actions were fitted with Hart Max Heavy varmint barrel contours that were 26"-29" long on varmint rifles and 22 and 24" long on the benchrest rifles(light varminit class and heavy varmint class).

There is a hell of a lot of BS out there that plays on our weakness of having everything perfect, which my also be a point on ownership pride....choose your poison.

The most accurate rifle I have ever owned was a trued 700 in a pillar bedded 40x wood stock with a 28" Pac Nor super match barrel(13" twist) chambered with a short leade 6PPC reamer shooting 60g Bergers..no one would believe the accuracy of this rifle and I burned the barrel out shooting p. dogs. I shot more "zero's" with this rifle than all my other rifle's combined. This rifle defies all logic on which platorm a super accurate rifle should be built, of course by this time I was out of Benchrest competition and into shoot'en critters.

Last edited by keith; 04/29/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Keith, re: "excessive compulsive traits," I feel ya, man.

Murphy was a grunt.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by fremont
Keith, re: "excessive compulsive traits," I feel ya, man.

It must have hit him when he was trying to spell conclusion.

"My conclustion that the individual barrel quality means...."

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by keith
I have ordered them both with, and without, pillars. I've never noticed any kind of stock compression issues without pillars in my McM's so I don't use them anymore.

I have quite a few varmint rifles with custom barrels and match chambers in McM stocks, they all shoot very tiny groups...it would take good wind flags and good conditions to tell the difference between any of them.

My conclustion that the individual barrel quality means more than pillar bedding McM stocks unless you are talking a benchrest rifle where you are not going to glue in the action and shooting registered matches are your hobby.

Of course, I had to put a halter on my excessive compulsive traits so I could own more guns. I even did tests on McM stocks, bedded and unbedded with custom 223's and 6 PPC's, there were about 3/8" difference in the group size. Then I did tests on non trued Rem 700's vs trued Rem 700's in bedded and non bedded McM stocks, still about 3/8 difference in groups. Next, I did a test on Rem 700 hart barrels (12" twists) in 243 AI in trued 700 actions comparing Ruger and Mauser actions fitted with same make barrels pillar bedded in McM Hunter class stock fitted with leupold 36 x scopes. Ruger and Rem gave same size groups, mauser was only about .065 larger groups which could attribute to many things including difference in how one particular barrel will shoot slightly better than others(which benchrest shooters are very familiar with). Next I started comparing the tricked out and non tricked out Rem 700's in 6 PPC to custom benchrest rifles with Hall M actions and Stolle panda actions. Again, there was very little difference, and the conclusion of which were best was determined by what rifle I was shooting on the day with the best wind conditions.

All actions were fitted with Hart Max Heavy varmint barrel contours that were 26"-29" long on varmint rifles and 22 and 24" long on the benchrest rifles(light varminit class and heavy varmint class).

There is a hell of a lot of BS out there that plays on our weakness of having everything perfect, which my also be a point on ownership pride....choose your poison.

The most accurate rifle I have ever owned was a trued 700 in a pillar bedded 40x wood stock with a 28" Pac Nor super match barrel(13" twist) chambered with a short leade 6PPC reamer shooting 60g Bergers..no one would believe the accuracy of this rifle and I burned the barrel out shooting p. dogs. I shot more "zero's" with this rifle than all my other rifle's combined. This rifle defies all logic on which platorm a super accurate rifle should be built, of course by this time I was out of Benchrest competition and into shoot'en critters.

You really have to try hard to get a 6mm ppc to not shoot small groups!

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I'm not good at proof reading either.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1234567
Eddy, have you guys seen problems that would make you run pillars? Or is it more like "why not"? Thanks, Brad.

If done right, pillars will definately give a good, solid, and stressfree platform for the action to rest on. Also, it will eliminate any chance of the stock, whatever the material, from being crushed from tightening or over-tightening of the guard screws.

All of the above are desirable if you are wanting an accurate rifle, and in my opinion, a rifle that will range from a little to a lot more accurate than a rifle with conventional bedding.

123, So you've crushed McM's without pillars? I go TIGHT with bottom metal and haven't seen any compression with any of mine, ADL's/BDL's/and various mag systems.

I've not seen an accuracy issue stemming from a stock not having pillars....not yet anyways.

Regardless of the stock material "If done right, pillars will definately give a good, solid, and stressfree platform for the action to rest on."

This is the point I was trying to make, and in my opinion, pillars are the only consistant way to get that precise of a fit. And I have seen accuracy issues stemming from a stock not having pillars.

You don't know if you were having accuracy issues until after you pillar bed. If accuracy improves, then, yes, you were having accuracy issues.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've got four rifles with synthetic stocks that don't have them. I've had the stocks off of three of them. Two of those have had their stocks removed several times. All of them have always returned to zero.
I've never seen a quality synthetic that anyone has ever compressed the stock by over tightening the action screws.
That's not to say that some cheaply made synthetics or soft wood stocks can't be so done. I've owned a cheap synthetic that would shift zero after 15-20 rds. simply because the stock compressed. But I doubt that is what is being discussed here. E

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1234, 57 invisible), 3,268 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,297
Posts18,468,035
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.