Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Brian.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WheelchairBandit
Originally Posted by 163bc
Ray Leonard won / stole a couple fights he should not have won. Hearns was certainly one of em and so was his fight with Hagler.

I still get insanely upset anytime someone says Ray Leonard "beat" Marvin Hagler. One of the most disgraceful things I've ever seen in combat sports. I don't blame Marvin for retiring after that.

Brian.

Looks like you saw the same fight I saw. Complete sham..... black eye for boxing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
I remember watching that fight live with a couple of Navy friends and our girl friends. It was a very active fight but I was left disappointed as well. Ray landed more light shots but every one of Marvin's was twice the power. I was always a fan of the Marvelous one and was sad to see him go out that way.

Leonard would spend 2 minutes and 30 seconds of each round running away, and in the last thirty seconds would flurry with pitter patter punches that didn't even get Marvin's attention. To the idiot judges, that rendered Marvin's work each round as irrelvant, as Leonard "finnished strong".

Makes my head hurt just to think about it. Brian.

Mine too.... I've watched that fight start to finish several times and went over it round by round. It was a great fight no mistaking that but IMO Hagler clearly was the better fighter and won the fight. The only thing Leonard won that night was the judges. He did it exactly as wheelchair described it above which was the only way he could have won. 163bc

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
1st round Jerry Quarry vs Joe Frasier...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ali , Norton was action too.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Keep the fights coming WCB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 163bc
Mine too.... I've watched that fight start to finish several times and went over it round by round. It was a great fight no mistaking that but IMO Hagler clearly was the better fighter and won the fight. The only thing Leonard won that night was the judges. He did it exactly as wheelchair described it above which was the only way he could have won. 163bc

Ali vs. Norton 3 is right up there when it comes to decisions that bore no resemblance to reality. Norton won no less than 9 rounds of that fight.

Brian.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Brian.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Brian.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Brian.

I think if Mike Tyson could have mastered Fraizer's upper body and head movement, he could have done great things. I'll never know exactly why Tyson thought he could just walk straight in. He either got lazy or too much confidence.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Frazier's style totally centered around the fact that he couldn't straighten out his left arm, due to badly breaking it as a child and having it heal funny. He could throw nothing but a hook with that hand. This, along with the fact that he wasn't particularly tall, forced him into the style we all know him for.

Tyson normally fought from a peekaboo stance, and relied on a combonation of parrying and head movement to avoid punches. In his prime, he was far harder to hit than Frazier, who was never particularly hard to hit. Frazier could get away with it because he was insanely durable - the only person who ever put him down for the count was George Foreman, without a doubt the most powerful puncher of his generation.

Tyson fought with a very traditional style, due to the fact that Cus D'Mato was an old school guy. Remember, Cus was always annoyed by Ali's style as he felt that Ali wasn't using proper defense.

Tyson's problems weren't his style of fighting, but rather that he became very complacent in his training. He did literally no training whatsoever for the Buster Douglas fight. The closest thing he got to training for that fight was doing a little light sparring for the press. Tyson was so out of shape that his sparring partner knocked him down. Later in his career, after he served time in jail, he just slowed down. He always relied on being a lot quicker than his opponents, but when he slowed down he never adjusted for it. Somewhat simmilar to what happened to Roy Jones, although when Roy hit the wall he hit it hard and fast.

Brian.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I will never respect any victory by Ali due to the lack of any referee forcing Ali to let go of the back of the neck of his opponent. All you saw was a constant removal of his hand, never a point taken away. Now, this takes nothing away from my respect for Ali. When you constantly have your opponent in a half muy ti clinch, you are going to get in some free shots. It's just another example of how crooked boxing was and has always been connected. Ali is the champ, but he's also a cheater.

This is God's universe, and he has a plan. You might think that you have aa better plan, but you don't have a universe.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A few fights that stand out in my memory:

Holyfield beating Tyson. I believe it was 1997? My father in law and i both had money on Evander. Tyson was outclassed by a counter puncher who was not afraid of him in the least.

Ali vs. Ernie Shavers. I'm guessing it was 1977. Shavers kicked Ali's ass. Ali got the decision.

Pernell Whitaker vs. Julio Cesar Chavez. 1993. I had money on this fight. it was called a draw. Whitaker easily won 8, and probably 9, of the 12 rounds.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Manny vs. Floyd is about the only fight I'd happily lay money down to see right now........

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by goose2044
I will never respect any victory by Ali due to the lack of any referee forcing Ali to let go of the back of the neck of his opponent. All you saw was a constant removal of his hand, never a point taken away. Now, this takes nothing away from my respect for Ali. When you constantly have your opponent in a half muy ti clinch, you are going to get in some free shots. It's just another example of how crooked boxing was and has always been connected. Ali is the champ, but he's also a cheater.

The only fight I ever noticed him doing it blatantly and getting away with it was the second fight with Frazier. That directly impacted the outcome of the fight. The other times I've seen him do it, it never amounted to much.

Brian.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Holyfield beating Tyson. I believe it was 1997? My father in law and i both had money on Evander. Tyson was outclassed by a counter puncher who was not afraid of him in the least.

The only reason people thought Tyson was going to win that fight was due to Holyfield having some really off performances, specificly the third fight with Riddick Bowe. People just didn't apprechiate what an awesome fighter Bowe was, and thought Holyfield was washed up. Didn't change the fact that Holyfield was a far superior technician than Tyson though, which is why he took Tyson to the cleaners.

Brian.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The only reason people thought Tyson was going to win that fight was due to Holyfield having some really off performances, specificly the third fight with Riddick Bowe. People just didn't apprechiate what an awesome fighter Bowe was, and thought Holyfield was washed up. Didn't change the fact that Holyfield was a far superior technician than Tyson though, which is why he took Tyson to the cleaners.

Ali vs. Ernie Shavers. I'm guessing it was 1977. Shavers kicked Ali's ass. Ali got the decision.

That's one of my all time favorite fights. I thought Ali edged out Shavers, but barely. Shavers could have knocked out Ali early in the fight, but he thought Ali was just goofing around and didn't realize how badly he had him hurt until he went back and watched the tape.

Brian.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Manny vs. Floyd is about the only fight I'd happily lay money down to see right now........

Don't hold your breath. Floyd wants no part of that fight, and has done everything in his power to make sure it never happens.

Brian.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

425 members (10gaugeman, 22kHornet, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 36 invisible), 1,910 guests, and 1,074 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,390
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.