Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Recently acquired this nicely preserved S&W Model 586 Distinguished Combat Magnum, it's a dash-4 so a mid-1990s gun with the hammer mounted firing pin and no internal lock. These revolvers are wonderfully balanced and the action on this particular specimen is very smooth. As much as I like Colt Python's, if I'm going to be shooting thousands of rounds of .357 Magnum (and I plan on doing just that with this gun over the summer) I prefer the S&W grin

[Linked Image]

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I like them better, too, except for that S&W red ramp fetish. I do better with all black sights, never did like the red ramps (or any other color than black).
Ks & Ls fit my hand, the Colts, not so much.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is always the Python's better, the S&W model 27. However, your 586 is a very nice looking revolver!

Last edited by Condition Yellow; 04/30/11.
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Yeah, but I'd prefer not to beat the heck out of my Model 27. It's older than my Dad whistle

[Linked Image]

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
For a gun that will be shot and used a lot I would pick the 586 over the Python, regardless of price.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image] [/quote]

Beautiful! I'd go 586 as well for a high volume shooter. The older I get, the more I warm toward revolvers, and stag grips are the answer to any question!

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Those grips were made from Elk by Patrick Grashorn, who posts here under the screen name "Executioner."

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The various L Frame S&W revolvers are fine shooting, well made, and durable 357 Magnum handguns. They are among my favorite double action revolvers.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The whole thing about Python's being fragile is complete BS, they're VERY strong revolvers. The frame and cylinder are larger and stronger than even the L frame S&W. But, I have to admit, I prefer the S&W also. The DA pull on a Python is nice, but I prefer the constant pressure of the S&W over the stacking pressure of the Python. Python's generally have an edge in accuracy since they have about the best quality barrel you can put on a revolver, but I've never found the L frame S&W's to be far enough behind the Python to really matter.

Even though they made a bunch of 586's, you just don't see a ton of them these days. I'm betting because people tend to hang on to them, rather than letting them go.

Enjoy your 586, that's a GREAT revolver there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
The whole thing about Python's being fragile is complete BS, they're VERY strong revolvers. The frame and cylinder are larger and stronger than even the L frame S&W.

Very true, Kevin, but I do think Colt's are more prone to getting out of time than S&W's.

I'd love to have a Python, but the prices are still too steep unless you luck up on a real deal.

I do really like the 586 though almost as well, but the rib just add a special touch on the Python.

MM

IC B3

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Older Smiths for "go", Python for show. I've had several Pythons over the years, never found one that I could consistently shoot as well as the Smiths. The additional accuracy potential of the Python is an academic discussion to me. My 5" M27 that I bought new in 1981 has stayed, while several Pythons were temporary boarders. And by the way, you can't wear it out...I've tried.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Man that's a good lookin' revolver! I think that blued revolver looks better than its stainless steel counterpart.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There was a photo in Shooting Times in the early 80's, I've got it in a box somewhere in storage, that was the first page of an article called something like, "Smith & Wesson's Longest L-Frames" that was just awesome. It showed two 8 3/8's barreled guns, one a 586 and the other a 686. I drooled about those for years as a teenager.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never could warm up to the L-frames. The full length barrel lug of the Python looks natural there - not so to my eye on the S&W. I had a Python and sold it because the grip was too large for my smallish hands and grip options were too few for me back in the pre-Internet days in my rural Ozark neighborhood. I also had a bit of trouble getting accustomed to the long Colt action as opposed to my more familiar S&W guns. I tried the L-frames when they first came out and even packed one on duty for awhile. No doubt they are beefier than the K-frames, but they just didn't seem to point as well for me and I went back home to my old friends in the K-frame family.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A poor man's python would more likely be a original Model Trooper; it too is an I frame with Python action, and they cost a lot less than a Python. I know a spendy gun shop here that has a mint 6" model, and only wants $650 for it.

I inherited a 4" from Dad, at some point I'll try to get some photos of it.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MOGC
I never could warm up to the L-frames. The full length barrel lug of the Python looks natural there - not so to my eye on the S&W. I had a Python and sold it because the grip was too large for my smallish hands and grip options were too few for me back in the pre-Internet days in my rural Ozark neighborhood. I also had a bit of trouble getting accustomed to the long Colt action as opposed to my more familiar S&W guns. I tried the L-frames when they first came out and even packed one on duty for awhile. No doubt they are beefier than the K-frames, but they just didn't seem to point as well for me and I went back home to my old friends in the K-frame family.

That's my take on it as well. To top it off, I knew the introduction of the L-frame signaled the demise of the K-frame, and I've held that against the L's ever since. Yep, I'm a vindictive bastid. smirk

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
The K-frames are great guns, and I own several of them, but I prefer those made before 1965 or so and, consequently, limit the number of rounds I put through them, particularly jacketed loads at high velocity. I have no similar compunctions with regard to this 586 grin

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't worry about it. If the day comes when I shoot a K-frame loose I'll cough up the $75 to have it tuned.

Although, I do stay away from light bullets. Part of that is the K-frame's forcing cone, but mostly because I don't have a reason to.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

103 members (Akpilot, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, akpls, 14 invisible), 1,630 guests, and 856 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,516
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.