Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
There has never been an offical cartrdige by the name of 45 Long Colt.It is 45 Colt.I watched entire episode of Cowboys on RFDTV an the guy, a cowboy action shooter, was doing a program on 45 Colts. In all instances he kept referring to 45 Long Colt and how accurate he was in all his historical information.Then he went on to brag on his 45 "Long Colt" rifle and how that cartridge was used thru out the west in earlier times. When in fact the chambering of 45 Colts in rifles is only a fairly new thing with the advent of Cowboy Action matches. It was unheard of back in the days of 73 ,32 Winchesters and such.

44-40 was the most prevalent cartridge for those who chose to have the same round for thier hamdgun and rifle. 38 WCF,32-20 and other smaller cartridges were also popular. The 45 colt was only very popular in the handgun.

So if all you Cowboy shooters want to be historically correct,please start referring to it as the 45 Colt.

Just one of my pet peaves like those who ask what caliber did you shoot the elk with.Heck that would could stretch from a 30 carbine to 300mag and above with dozens of "cartridges in between.

Rant over!!!!!

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
BP-B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I imagine it came into usage shortly after introduction of the 45ACP.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Called long because of the S&W Schofield top breaks in 45 used a shorter cartridge and were in us by the army as well Russ

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
There is no short colt either ,but if you had a calvery unit using the top break Schofield and you were sent 45colt ammo you
would damn well be telling them to send you the short colt!

But if you had a 45colt revolver you could use either!

So yes there at the time in question a long Colt and a short colt
round was made!

Of course the longer colt round was just the 45Colt!

Bob

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by saddlesore
There has never been an offical cartrdige by the name of 45 Long Colt.It is 45 Colt.I watched entire episode of Cowboys on RFDTV an the guy, a cowboy action shooter, was doing a program on 45 Colts. In all instances he kept referring to 45 Long Colt and how accurate he was in all his historical information.Then he went on to brag on his 45 "Long Colt" rifle and how that cartridge was used thru out the west in earlier times. When in fact the chambering of 45 Colts in rifles is only a fairly new thing with the advent of Cowboy Action matches. It was unheard of back in the days of 73 ,32 Winchesters and such.

44-40 was the most prevalent cartridge for those who chose to have the same round for thier hamdgun and rifle. 38 WCF,32-20 and other smaller cartridges were also popular. The 45 colt was only very popular in the handgun.

So if all you Cowboy shooters want to be historically correct,please start referring to it as the 45 Colt.

Just one of my pet peaves like those who ask what caliber did you shoot the elk with.Heck that would could stretch from a 30 carbine to 300mag and above with dozens of "cartridges in between.

Rant over!!!!!

Prob'ly 90-95% of the Cowboy shooters know that and choose to ignore it... since many shoot either the Schofield or the .45 "Cowboy Special" (.45 ACP case length, with a rim) and are usually trying to differentiate quickly between case lengths all being used in guns chambered for .45 Colt.

OTOH, many of the newer CAS folks don't always know the .45 in a rifle isn't authentic... but most choose to ignore that, too, since using a single cartridge in all three cartridge guns simplifies loading (especially loading on the clock), handloading, supplies, etc.

(Many newer folks don't realize the Henry Big Boy isn't really a historical Henry replica, either.)

FWIW, most Cowboy shooters under SASS rules don't care all that much about being so historically accurate as to get in the way of fun... and there's a degree of "coulda been" fantasy involved all the time smile

NCOWS guys are much more atuned to historal accuracy, but I suspect they attract more historian/shooters than pure shooters.

-R44

Last edited by Ranger4444; 04/26/11.
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
You are exactly right. I have no idea why so called experts on TV say the things they do.

They refer to a caliber as a cartridge all the time.

I watched a 30 minute show on long range shooting on TV the other night. There were a couple of so called experts on the show. The first thing they did was to describe MOA. And the first thing he said was that 1 MOA is exactly one inch at 100 yards and 2 inches at 200 yards?? How can this guy be an expert??

I watch these guys on TV who should know-but they don't know. I am not sure why they don't think a bit about what they say. They definitely do not know handgun nomenclature.

I am sure the "long" was just added at some point by someone who was just trying to differentiate it from the "short" cartridges. But that still does not make it right. Tom.

West By God Virginia
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It makes as much sense as calling the 270 WSM a short magnum. The nomenclature suggests there should be a long one. At least with the 300 WSM there is a Winchester longer mag, and, while the 7mm doesn't have a Winchester long partner in the line-up, it probably can get a pass since the Rem Mag version is often simply called the "Seven Mag". But what's up with calling the 350 Remington a Magnum? The only thing magnum there is the belt. Since that is the case, simply saying 350 Remington belted would suffice. And "38" for a cartridge that uses bullets not even 36 caliber? Give me a break!

Actually, I don't sweat the names of cartridges. On the contrary, when things seem off somehow, usually there's a clue that a story of some kind exists, and that's never a bad thing if you like history.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Actually, there was an article a few years ago in handloader about this very topic. The author referenced 19th century sources of the term "Long Colt" including original cartridge boxes. As I recall, it was his conclusion that the Army was responsible for the terminology due to the confusion of .45 Colt vs. .45 Schofield in issue ammunition.

Maybe someone with the Rifle/Handloader CDs could do a search for the article.

The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Rant over!!!!!

My pet peeve (OK one of) Is the people who talk of the non existing 41 special. For those here that do not know there was not a 41 special, short or S&W or Colt or whatever before the 41 magnum. It was designed and brought out as the 41 magnum not a lengthened version of a 41 whatever.

Yes I am nit picking but some nits need picked

8mmwapiti

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Slightly off topic, but I remember watching cowboy movies
when I was a kid and seeing indians using Winchester 94s.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jericho

I hate that.
I also hate seeing Colt SAA's being used in movies supposedly set before '73.
I also hate seeing saddles with Association trees being used in movies.

Thankfully most of the newer generation of producers and directors are more concerned with getting details right than some before them were.

The original international turd
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They were probably '92s, which are pretty difficult to distinguish from '94s, especially at a glance. The 1892 Winchester was exceedingly popular in films due to its ability to ingest the popular "Five-in-One blanks" that were used on the sets. Same with the Colt SAA.

One of the most infamous cases was The Commancheros, a John Wayne offering set in 1836.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
They were probably '92s, which are pretty difficult to distinguish from '94s, especially at a glance. The 1892 Winchester was exceedingly popular in films due to its ability to ingest the popular "Five-in-One blanks" that were used on the sets. Same with the Colt SAA.

One of the most infamous cases was The Commancheros, a John Wayne offering set in 1836.

I heard a rumour once that right up till just before filming began the rifle to be used in the film "Winchester '73" was a '92. Not sure how true that is.

The original international turd
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Common usage in language, even though 'wrong', often persists and eventually becomes 'acceptable', and recognised as so in the very publication of new dictionaries. English usage just evolves and people can understand.

I am no longer irritated by hearing a reference to the "45 Long Colt" for the correct term "45 Colt" ... I am sometimes more irritated by hearing someone sternly correcting the misusage of the term ... ... Peace.

I have become SO liberal, that I don't even mind hearing the term "CLIP!" instead of "MAGAZINE!"

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Compromiser! grin

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Still, common useage don't make it right.I lump it into the same category as all the ones who ask what caliber you hunting with when they mean cartrdige.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by maarty

I hate that.
I also hate seeing Colt SAA's being used in movies supposedly set before '73.
I also hate seeing saddles with Association trees being used in movies.

Thankfully most of the newer generation of producers and directors are more concerned with getting details right than some before them were.

How about inner-tube wrapped saddle horns set in 1880's?
Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 8mmwapiti

Rant over!!!!!

My pet peeve (OK one of) Is the people who talk of the non existing 41 special. For those here that do not know there was not a 41 special, short or S&W or Colt or whatever before the 41 magnum. It was designed and brought out as the 41 magnum not a lengthened version of a 41 whatever.

Yes I am nit picking but some nits need picked

8mmwapiti

The .41 Long Colt cartridge was created in 1877 for Colt's double-action "Thunderer" revolver.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
The 41 Colt,blackpowder round has been around since the 1870s.It also was loaded with a Heeled bullet,similar to our beloved 22 s,l,and lr,cartridges.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by colt45
The 41 Colt,blackpowder round has been around since the 1870s.It also was loaded with a Heeled bullet,similar to our beloved 22 s,l,and lr,cartridges.

And as such had various case lengths thru its evolution to final offering. Ole Elmer liked it, saying it was a heap better than a .38 Spec. for personal defense. But Elmer always liked bigger...

DF

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
468 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 48 invisible), 2,109 guests, and 991 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,160
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.