Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Local shops cater to the gun enthusiast, who also peruses the used gun rack (often the ONLY reason to stop in). Wal-Mart caters to the guy who wants to spend $300 on the best rifle in the whole world, with a Hubble scope and the cheapest green box ammo he can find.
I'm no fan of Wal-Fart, but when these "local shops" where I live don't have basic items, like component primers or reloading manuals with their reloading gear -- and the local Wal-Fart does -- there's something wrong. And then the "local shop's" attitude is "take it or leave it," then F*CK THEM.

Most of my gun buying is going to be via my local FFL and the internet; here, Gunbroker, Gunsamerica, etc. Most of my reloading buying is going to be Powder Valley, Graf's, and what have you. If I NEED something right now, I'd just as soon give Wal-Fart a shot as opposed to some of these DICKHEAD shops in Oklahoma City.

Walmart usually has a great selection of reloading components. Maybe you could make us a list, seeing it's the first of the month and all.

Is that your local FFL or your local gunshops FFL?

Damn, I guess Wally does your GB transfers too??

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stxhunter
no but i did get a nice 629 and a colt AR

How did you get the AR The ww's I talked to said no can do not even special orders which leads one to think yor spinning yarns

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
this was back in 92 would you like to see a picture of it i have no reason to be spinning yarns.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have never bought a gun through Walmart though I did buy an Ithaca 36 from K-mart in 1979. My Remington 581 came from J.C. Penneys in 1968. I bought a number of guns through U.S. Rod and Gun Clubs in Europe, a few through a dealer who worked from his living room on word of mouth. My last 5 came from online auctions (Manufactured between 1921 and 1953). Two came from local dealers (One a genuine customer guy, one a turd) and a few from individuals.

I have visited local dealers and left with bad tastes in the mouth for the reasons I outlined in my first post in this thread. May they wither and die as far as I am concerned.

If I want a new rifle I will go to Academy or similiar big box store. Older rifles (I have not bought a newly manufactured gun since 1991) I will search the auctions.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stxhunter
this was back in 92 would you like to see a picture of it i have no reason to be spinning yarns.

92 was different times in the gun sales and things have changed sinse then. I was thinking in the now. My first and only 22 WM is a J.C. Higgins I saved up 40 bucks in 1960 and mail ordered it from sears and it came with a 2x6 power scope. Still shoots good today

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ConradCA said:
The reason they stopped selling guns is that their employees were not capable of handling the paperwork and legal requirements. The Feds fined Walmart for failing to follow the correct procedures.

I hate to say it but Conrad is on to something. I agree with the statement. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 16bore
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Local shops cater to the gun enthusiast, who also peruses the used gun rack (often the ONLY reason to stop in). Wal-Mart caters to the guy who wants to spend $300 on the best rifle in the whole world, with a Hubble scope and the cheapest green box ammo he can find.
I'm no fan of Wal-Fart, but when these "local shops" where I live don't have basic items, like component primers or reloading manuals with their reloading gear -- and the local Wal-Fart does -- there's something wrong. And then the "local shop's" attitude is "take it or leave it," then F*CK THEM.

Most of my gun buying is going to be via my local FFL and the internet; here, Gunbroker, Gunsamerica, etc. Most of my reloading buying is going to be Powder Valley, Graf's, and what have you. If I NEED something right now, I'd just as soon give Wal-Fart a shot as opposed to some of these DICKHEAD shops in Oklahoma City.
Walmart usually has a great selection of reloading components. Maybe you could make us a list, seeing it's the first of the month and all.

Is that your local FFL or your local gunshops FFL?

Damn, I guess Wally does your GB transfers too??
I don't know why I'm explaining myself to a stupid [bleep]*cker like you, but I guess I will.

When I state "my local FFL," I'm referring to a friend of mine who lives here locally and also possesses a federal firearms license.

Let me give you a few examples that spring to mind immediately of Wal-Fart's competition:

I was in Oklahoma City's "Outdoor America Store/Fred Baker Firearms" buying some Vihtavouri N110 not long after it became available in the U.S. Because OAS/FBF has such a high regard for its customers, they kept all components behind the counter out of the public's reach. I asked the nearest counter [bleep] for a canister of N110. The guy handed it to me and began to tell me how [bleep] Vihtavouri powder was, how misleading their loading data was that it was overly optimistic, and so on and so forth. So I asked, "You've used it quite a bit?" To which he replied, "Oh no, I've never used it, that's just what I heard."

Yep, great example of how "knowledgeable" the "local shop's" counter help was.

Same store, about a year or two later, I asked about getting a Ruger No. 1 in .257 Roberts. It was a currently cataloged item at the time and the store had half-a-dozen or so No. 1s in 1H and 1S configuration. I was told in response to my request -- for which I had cash money to spend -- "NOPE. WHAT YOU SEE IS IT. THAT'S ALL WE CARRY." I asked, "Can't you order one?" To which I received a simple "NOPE." (I located one in Gun List and had my local FFL -- that's a friend of mine who lives here locally and holds a valid federal firearms license, you understand -- receive it for me.)

Yeah, real f*cking accommodating to the customer.

I was trying to buy some small rifle primers in April of 2003. Southwest Shooter's Supply was closed, but Outdoor America Store/Fred Baker Firearms was open. The only primers they had were Federal 215M and an assortment of 209 shotgun primers. The counter [bleep] actually asked me "Why won't any of these work for you?"

Yep, very knowledgeable AND accommodating.

On the return trip home I stopped in the old Wal-Fart at 33rd and Broadway in Edmond to buy some motor oil for my pickup and lo and behold, there at the sporting goods counter just a few aisles over from the motor oil is a large display of CCI and Winchester primers, about a dozen or so 1-lb. canisters of various IMR, Winchester, and Alliant powders, along with a small assortment of bullets and a small selection of RCBS tools, a few bags of shot, and couple of MEC reloaders.

Yeah, Wal-Fart sure sucked that day, didn't they?

Dumbass.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Wow, I really feel sorry for you guys that have lousy local shops. The shop I frequent is more like family. Been going there for years, went to the owners 50th wedding anniversary, along with about 10 other customers. We all attended his grand-daughter's wedding, etc.
Most saturday mornings we meet at the store for coffee, donuts, stretching the truth and checking out what used goodies came in during the week.
I will gladly pay a small premium in exchange for the friendship and fun we've had over the years. However, most of the time there is no premium and I have yet to find a better deal on gunbroker when you add in shipping and FFL fees.

Wal-Mart would be a last resort kind of thing for me.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven
I will gladly pay a small premium in exchange for the friendship and fun we've had over the years. However, most of the time there is no premium and I have yet to find a better deal on gunbroker when you add in shipping and FFL fees.

Wal-Mart would be a last resort kind of thing for me.
I feel the same way, but if I'm going to put up with BULLSHIT, I might as well save some money.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have some great gunshops around here, shops I have spent thousands of dollars at over the years. During the Obama induced ammo hysteria a year back I found basic (hard ball) handgun ammo was up to double, triple and quadruple the normal pricing - only at Wal-Mart did the basic 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP stay at the "before hysteria" price. Wal-Mart has earned that part of my business by not gouging me more than the actual manufacturers increase during that time period. The gunshops still get their 90%, but Wal-Mart has earned their 10%.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow, I really feel sorry for you guys that have lousy local shops. The shop I frequent is more like family. Been going there for years, went to the owners 50th wedding anniversary, along with about 10 other customers. We all attended his grand-daughter's wedding, etc.
Most saturday mornings we meet at the store for coffee, donuts, stretching the truth and checking out what used goodies came in during the week.

My experiences included IN, NC, AZ, AL and Texas. If you read my first post the coffee and donuts thiong is exactly what I spoke of. I suspect I would hate to be from outside that circle and a newbie in town seeking assistance in your store. To busy with the coffee, donuts and who shot johns I am sure.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Altjaeger

My experiences included IN, NC, AZ, AL and Texas. If you read my first post the coffee and donuts thiong is exactly what I spoke of. I suspect I would hate to be from outside that circle and a newbie in town seeking assistance in your store. To busy with the coffee, donuts and who shot johns I am sure.

Nah, they are never too busy with us to ignore a customer and we know when to get out of the way. On saturdays he has two to three grandkids helping out and those youngsters get bored with us old farts and are eager to engage any walk-ins. smile

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Like I said I have been in a few good ones, but that has not been my general experience. To those I wish all the best but will stick to my sources.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

421 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 49 invisible), 2,543 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,982
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.