Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
AJD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Who has tried this and how did it work out? Use on WT.

Hornady states a velocity range of 1800 to 3000fps for this one.

I'm looking for a longer lighter bullet to use, I'm trying to reach the lands on a long throated rifle. I'm thinking the flat base will help to keep it in the case.

Thanks,
AJD

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
HR IC

AJD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Oh well it was a thought, some are good, some not so much.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Hornady spire points and round nose are flat base too. Don't know what the BC is on the flex tips, but it can't be that high and prolly on par with the 200 gr spire points. Impact velocity should also be same/same.

I don't think you will gain much on length via ogive geometry with the tipped vs. the spire point.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

AJD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sakoluvr- I have some of the 200gr spire point and rn hornady's as well as the 200 gr psp remingtons. I can't reach the lands and stay in the case with those. About a 1/4" jump.

I thought about using the tsx or the partition, but can't quite make myself go to a premium for this. I may have to, or just jump to the lands.

The 225 Sierra would work if it were a flatbase; the bt makes it iffy and a jump to the lands. Or perhaps one one of the 250's would work, or the Speer 220.

I doonoo it just seems like a longggg throat.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What rifle? I assume there are no magazine constraints. Also assuming you have already tried load development with bullets that are "far" from the lands, and you did not get acceptable accuracy?

I have been surprised before. Sometime you don't need to kiss. Your best bet may be TSX's or TTSX if your mag can handle the COAL.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B2

AJD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
No magazine constraints, it's a single shot.

I generally always start by "kissing the lands", I do have one rifle, a browning, that seems to work better by jumping. I can't reach the lands with that one and stay in the mag. It is accurate jumping to the lands.

I need to do more work up those bullets, when I first tried them, I didn't get the accuracy I was seeking. I put the rifle aside and now I have time to get it ready.

I did load some of the Sierra's and will give them a try, they will be jumping. With the Sierra's touching, I get a COAL of 3.455, and I don't think I have enough base inside the case at that length.

I'm going to try jumping a few and see how it goes, if it doesn't do what I think it should, I'll consider sending it back. I did talk to the manufacturer and they told me to send it back. I want to make sure before I do. They also said they set that rifle up for 250's.

AJD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I tried the 225 Sierra's today, loaded to a COAL of 3.380 which is .075 off the lands, good groups of about an inch.

I did have primers backing out, with those and with the 200gr Hornady SP...

What would cause the primers to back out. These are FL sized cases then run through a trim die.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I am loading for a Rem 700 CDL with a 24 inch barrel. I load the 200 gr Hornady SP with IMR 4064 at 58.5 gr and a Fed 210 primer and crimped with a Lee Factory Crimp Die. In my gun, this bullet kisses the lands at an overall length of 3.366 inches. The Hornady manual recommends an overall length of 3.110 inches, or as you stated, a 1/4 inch jump. The accuracy with this load is sub MOA at 100 yards. Looking to get closer to the lands, I next tried the 200 gr Barnes TSX FB. The initial load was with RL15 at 57.5 gr and a Fed 210M primer, also crimped. Overall length was 3.330 in. placing it 0.038 in off the lands. The inaccuracy with this load produced +2 MOA with pronounced vertical stringing. The next attempt with this bullet kept everything consistent except the load was increased to 58.0 grains and it wasn't crimped. With this load the inaccuracy didn't improve and the primers started to back out. The Barnes loads produced max velocity spreads of 156 fps with both loads. This suprised me because I figured the crimp on tht Barnes bullet was the culprit! The Hornady loads gave max spreads of 36 fps for an overall average velocity of 2654 fps.

[Linked Image]
AJD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I guess I'm going to break down and buy a box of factory, if it happens with that(primers backing out), I'm sending it back.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My cousin's husband uses the FTX in his 350Rem magnum and has had good results and accuracy.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
514 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 51 invisible), 2,254 guests, and 1,030 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.