24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice collection of hardware Jeff, kudos to you sir. That should shut ole Flinch up. wink

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

BP-B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Calvin
I've shopped at walmart, does that make me poor, low class, and lacking in nice things? TFF..
[bleep], I Don't know. Post was not directed at you anyway Calvin unless your a continous whiner that keeps harping on JB's rifle amount.

Rost, upset about my carpet remark huh(sorry)..... Gimme credit, I refrained from mentioning the wall paneling. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The price is just one part of why John catches crap. The "not willing to talk specifics" gets him a few giggles.

Calvin,

A small group of loud whiners hardly constitutes catching much crap. grin

Funny how none of the gigglers/whiners showed up for the shoot.

Come to think of it there were a few, shall we say, �knowing smiles� if someone said something about Paradise Alaska (wherever that is) or something called a �Montucky� (whatever that is). cool

Say weren�t you working on a 270 WSM for LR shooting? shocked

You were gonna order some VLDs and kinda stretch it out, if I remember correctly. Post some pics for us if you get the chance as I am sure you were not just runnin your mouth and trying to stir up schit. grin grin

Rost495,

Shooting highpower matches is not hunting. You may or may not be a holy terror on the KD range in Texas, with an ar-15, but that doesn�t buy expertise in the field.

My point was and still is you have dicked around with your �Cheaper� 7 MM for a hell of a long time and it won�t shoot 180 VLDs worth beans.

You have a right to an opinion but I for one will file that opinion where it belongs. cool

As a side note I am glad you found a thread in which to post all of your Trophy pictures.

My day is now complete. laugh laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Ya don't have a clue how much I have not dicked around with the 7mm actually... no clue at all. Lets just say not more than about 36 projectiles of the 180s fired at this point. Less than 50 of 140s and 150s. Probably around 75 of the 160s. Trying to find the groove of an unproven round. Had I simply wanted the most accurate round out there in a more or less LR rifle, I certainly would not have played or started with this one. I'd have gone the 6.5 route to start with. Or the .338 route. 7mms are known for throwing flier issues the faster you drive them. 7WSM seems to be an exception for some reason... short and fat possibly following the ppc route?

Hell at the time I didn't know I'd have to be building a gun to entertain John Burns, I thought I could play with calibers I wanted to for grins.

But thank GOD I have a place to post photos now. I've been waiting on that since we transitioned from Shooters some years ago that you may not have even been aware of. For that I thank you. I actually had my computer set on search begging for someone to beg me for photos of some medals and such.

Of course since I don't have that much time to mess around with loads and shooting anymore, the obvious answer is greybull. I"m well aware of that.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HuntKY
curious......did John Burns let anyone else shoot his rifles?

Yes he did. He let everyone that was there shoot them.

Went through a LOT of ammo, too.

Very impressive results.

For a guy that did not enjoy messing around with all the minutia of working up a LR gun themselves(the time AND the money), John's guns are a high quality alternative.

Just because it might not be for YOU doesn't mean it doesn't work, or it's not on the level. Believe me ,John's guns are hammers!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by oldslowdog; 05/04/11.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Whew..!

But does the carpet match the drapes?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by oldslowdog

[Linked Image]

I like everyone in this thread, but if I could photoshop, I'd place a little teeny human next to that target, to imply that it was huge... grin

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
The price is just one part of why John catches crap. The "not willing to talk specifics" gets him a few giggles.

Calvin,

A small group of loud whiners hardly constitutes catching much crap. grin

Funny how none of the gigglers/whiners showed up for the shoot.

Come to think of it there were a few, shall we say, �knowing smiles� if someone said something about Paradise Alaska (wherever that is) or something called a �Montucky� (whatever that is). cool

Thank you for saying what I tried to say but apparently don't have post count enough to lay out my case for some. I apologize to you John for opening up an old can of worms and letting the stink out. I guess that the mere mention of your name seems to incite some individuals. My post was never about your business. It was always about the fact that you showed up and put your reputation on the line while others choose to let the internet do their talking. Again, I applaud you and you have earned my respect (for what it's worth....not much on here, grins) for being a stand up guy. Action speaks louder than words and your action spoke volumes about character. That shoot looked like a lot of fun, even in bad weather. It almost makes me want to start long range shooting. No, not really but it did look like some cool shooting to go with the cool weather.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
John: Nice shooting, what a crappy day. The farthest I have shot is about 1700 yards. If I remember, I doped about 57 MOA in a 7WSM. I assume you were using your BDC? Your 6.5 is running about 3200 fps? giving you about 1100 ft in a single revolution of your BDC? Did you count MOA's past the single revolution using a PDA? What do you feel really comfortable w/ the BDC under really good conditions? I visited w/ Don a couple of times at your shop, he was very helpful about your stock, which I really like by the way. Congrats

Brad
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Having a little fun.
[Linked Image]

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
plus he has got to pay for the mules he has,,,

i know what good mules cost,,,,,

Originally Posted by cmg
Mr. Rost,

congratiolations on your life achievements as a rifleman.

It is clear to see, very few can match those.

There is however the point of Mr. Burns pricing -

all you are looking at is component costs.

Good business practice is to take all costs you had -

R&D
training
components
smithing
load developement
sighting in
marketing
networking

basically everything product related you have spend money, time and/or knowledge/thought on

+ your return of investment

sum it all up and divide by the # of units projected to be sold.

Then you have a price which you can then test on the market.

That considered Burns rifles (which are rifle/scope/ammo combinations) are a bargain in my eyes considering, that Mr. Burns seems to be able to pick any rifle from the "ready to be shipped rack" grab the ammo and hit targets way out there -

meaning the units are dialed in.

Sure can such a rifle be build cheaper - but only if you are willing to count the hours ezc. needed as hobby time.

I do not blame Mr. Burns for chosing not to do that in his line of business.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RugerM77270
Having a little fun.

LMAO, good one. Wish I coulda made the trip up, just to observe and learn. And take a few pokes at an even mile.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cmg
Mr. Rost,

congratiolations on your life achievements as a rifleman.

It is clear to see, very few can match those.

There is however the point of Mr. Burns pricing -

all you are looking at is component costs.

Good business practice is to take all costs you had -

R&D
training
components
smithing
load developement
sighting in
marketing
networking

basically everything product related you have spend money, time and/or knowledge/thought on

+ your return of investment

sum it all up and divide by the # of units projected to be sold.

Then you have a price which you can then test on the market.

That considered Burns rifles (which are rifle/scope/ammo combinations) are a bargain in my eyes considering, that Mr. Burns seems to be able to pick any rifle from the "ready to be shipped rack" grab the ammo and hit targets way out there -

meaning the units are dialed in.

Sure can such a rifle be build cheaper - but only if you are willing to count the hours ezc. needed as hobby time.

I do not blame Mr. Burns for chosing not to do that in his line of business.

Do not forget liability insurance.

When I lived in the 'States, my doctor filled me in on how much he had to pay for liability insurance, and I became aware that liability insurance was quite a sizable fraction of the final cost for many products & services.

I suspect that a pressure vessel which was designed to be used inches from one's face and which has to contain more than 60,000 psi would be associated with high liability costs.

John

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
YOu are correct, when I was rethinking the thing, it dawns on me, his liability could be really high working with firearms and reloaded ammo. He makes a mistake and it could be deadly. Probably not cheap at all.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Having a little fun.
[Linked Image]

That's a big chunk o'steel! What kind of vessel is that off of?
wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Having a little fun.
[Linked Image]

Well done man! laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Dat thing would hafta be the size of a Walmart for me to hit it at that range... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I wonder what angle near vertical a round from my 308 would be coming in from? grin

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Having a little fun.
[Linked Image]

Me too...

Big deal... I think I could do that at 90 yards with a Remington 700... and a Tasco scope! smile

[Linked Image]

John

Last edited by jpb; 05/05/11. Reason: typing faster than brain...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
90 yards......thats awesome! Maybe Burns should use this as an avatar.

Big deal... I think I could do that at 90 yards with a Remington 700... and a Tasco scope! smile

[Linked Image]

John

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
702 members (11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 82 invisible), 2,665 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,691
Posts18,399,843
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.