Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You can't do that anymore. You need a permit in advance to hunt cats. It's N5000 or something like that, and there are a limited number of them.

I made the cover of the outfitters brochure this year with a 42" Gemsbok I shot in Namibia.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by paul375
just booked my flights for a 15 day trip to Namibia in August.
Its gonna be a long wait.

What is your route for getting there? We flew through Frankfurt. Had a 12 hour layover. Had the option to get a day room, but declined. Thought we would see the town and the sites. I thought that was a mistake. I would much have rather slept my tired azz all day, then to have went down town to the nasty, dirty filth that I seen there for 12 hours. It was neat for about an hour, but after that was very boring.
Maybe I should have done a little more research, but I wasnt much impressed with Frankfurt. It was nasty, and very expensive.

Toby Joe

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
My Uncle used to deliver steel to Frankfurt.......in the belly of a Lancaster Bomber, he flatten the place. Thats proberly why its so boring.
I'm flying from London to Munich with Luftwaffa (2hr wait)then South African to Jo'berg (5hr wait)then over to Windyhoek.
Then going back the same route.
Come to think of it Uncle Arthur flatted Munich as well...... and Dresden and Berlin and Cologne...and the rest of the place.
I think his "tour de force" of the Fatherland has made it a very dull place.
A mate of mine flew to Windy last year via Frankfurt and had a load of greef from the krauts over his .308. They said it was a very large calibre and very dangerous and also a military round and he shouldn't be allowed it.......the morons fially let him take it but he nearly missed his flight.

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Air Namibia flies direct Frankfurt to Windhoek; they cancelled their London Frankfurt flight in 2009. GRF

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P

Lufhansa fly London-Frankfurt-j'berg-Windy.or the same via Munich.
You can fly london-frnkfrt-(lufthansa)Frnkfrt-Windhoek air Namibia which tends to be more expensive.

Last edited by paul375; 02/18/11.
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by pinotguy
Originally Posted by JimD
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Me two...maybe a good place for a CF get together... wink

Dober

I can make it happen -just say the word!! The more hunters, the better the rate!

Jim

Jim,

Would you mind giving a general outline on something like this? Where (part of Namibia), outfitter, Includes/Excludes, hunting basis (1x1, 2x1 - I'm sure this would depend on number of hunters), Daily Rates, and Trophy Fees?

I know it's early but this might be something to try and organize for 2012.

Just thinking out loud . . .

Thanks for any info.

We could do a group hunt at Omalanga Safaris, located near Otavi and about forty minutes from the East gate of Etosha.

The rate for eight hunters would be $255 per hunter per day, hunting 2/1. With eight hunters in camp, there would be no room for observers.
http://www.omalangasafaris.net/

Pm me for more details.

Jim

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I met some grand people there. I would recommend extra time and visit Etosha Nat'l Park in the north; we're still in contact with our guide to and in Etosha.

The country along with the RSA is relatively modern, perhaps like Mexico (but without the gangland shootouts), so is very comfortable for a spouse or kids.

The high fences were an aesthetic drawback for me but such large areas are typically included that they make practically no difference while hunting in my limited experience.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better PG destination than Namibia.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
What is the weather like in mid to late September in Namibia? How is the hunting then or does the time of year matter? My wife and I are trying to put together a PG trip then.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That would be the commencement of their spring (reverse for southern hemisphere considerations) and temps would warm into the 80s with a commensurate green up. Howthat would affect the hunting I won't say but would expect it to still be good. Perhaps water would be more accessible and you wouldn't hunt water holes like in winter but I was there in late winter and didn't hunt water holes then anyway.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
For those of you that have been to Namibia more than once, what are your recommendations as to the best airline & best route to Windhoek, cheapest would be a plus also.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Best would be Lufthansa to Frankfurt then Windhoek on Air Namibia.

Cheapest would probably out of New York or DC on SAA through Johannesburg.

Jim

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Have only been once but the first option JimD mentions is was what Gracys sent us on and it was as painless as could be--better than some of our domestic flights.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Look at Air Berlin too. They fly direct from Munich to Windhoek, so you'd still have to transit through Germany. I haven't flown them before but I've started to look at them for future travel as they have some very reasonable rates.

I keep hoping that one of the U.S.-based airlines will offer a direct flight from the States to Windhoek (think Delta: ATL - WDH). Should be doable with 777-ER's as it's closer than RSA.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Not sure if Air Berlin will carry firearms. German wings wont.
Luftwaffa will so will Air Namibia and South African Airways will.
If you can fly N.Y. to J'berg then Windy go for it . When you are taking firearms cheapest isn't always the best.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Air Berlin will accept firearms.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Had a look at Air Berlins price to Windy. Seems a bit expensive.
I went through www.skyscanner.com amd booked my Lufthansa flight.
If you use skyscanner you can get prices for the whole month or even year and plan your trip around price.And get a good deal if you are flexy with your dates.

Last edited by paul375; 03/13/11.
A
A
If you want to hunt in Namibia for 5 years all expenses paid and get all your trophies. Contact Jack de Waal at +264 81 220 6644 or at dewaalhuntingtradersgmail.com

A
A
If you want to hunt in Namibia for 5 years all expenses paid and get all your trophies, contact Jack de Waal at +264 81 220 6644 or at dewaalhuntingtradersgmail.com at any time

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
If you want to advertise on this site contact Rick Bin...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I realize that it is all inclusive, but just in case I want to add a few days on to my 5 years. What is the day rate?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

582 members (19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 16penny, 160user, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 1,969 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,234
Posts18,447,787
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.