24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hodgdon should reintroduce H570 to all you younger shooters out there--this was and still is a supreme powder for large capacity cases.One of the true slow burners that can't be beat for large bullets and magnum velocities.Sometimes older can be better!!!

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Fleming
Hodgdon should reintroduce H570 to all you younger shooters out there--this was and still is a supreme powder for large capacity cases.One of the true slow burners that can't be beat for large bullets and magnum velocities.Sometimes older can be better!!!

I disagree with most of your post, H570 was a dog turd then and would be even worse today compared to some of the modern powder's......why not bring back some of the true classic's like 5010 and RL21. short answer TECHNOLOGY !!! better powder's are made now than they were 25 years ago.
I do agree with your last line "Sometimes older can be better!!!" but in this case it does not apply.
RC828

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That should make some 264 win mag owners happy.

I'll have to pick up a lb and try it out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H870 was another good one, though I think it dried up due to being a surplus powder. Plenty of good old powders - which isn't to say that a person can't buy every new powder that comes along and keep working up new loads.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My opinion only here--I have worked up many loads for the 264 over the years.H-870 another good one but tends to cause throat erosion with the digestion of many pills.Tried lots of new powders/bullet combos but my gun seems to like H570 the best.Guns are like people,everyone has it's own personality--likes and dislikes.I appreciate your input but this "dog turd" powder has made many a long kill and put lots of game in the freezer!!

Woody
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
H-570 was, for a long time, one of the preferred powders used by the 1,000 yard benchrest shooters at Williamsport, Pa. I can remember ads placed in the various shooting magazines by Earl Chronister, one of the top shooters of the day, practically begging for the stuff, and offering to pay a premium price for it.

There was nothing at all wrong with its performance.

Both it and H-870 were surplus powders, probably never to be seen again.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the update,I had forgotten it was used in 1000yd competition.As I said before my gun really likes the stuff old or not it has and still shoots sub MOA at 100yds.Had a pre-64 in 264 mag that didn't like it --so Rockchuck is correct that in that gun it was a "dog turd" !! I've been around guns and reloading since I was 16 now I'm 62 and one thing I have learned over these many enjoyable years of shooting and hunting is listen to what people say --respect their views and form your own opinions later.

Woody
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You saying "H-570 a grand old powder" is like me saying "Pterodactyl a grand old bird" both have some truth to it, but in REALITY both are extinct dinosaur's from by-gone era's. neither is likely to return anytime soon.

I remember how grand my high school girlfriend was......well she has not done anything for me in the last 30years (like H-570) so I moved on to bigger and better things that are available to me today and found I am much more happy than I was getting un-easy wishing for things long gone.
Reminisce if that is your wish but it is not coming back, time to move on.
RC

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by SU35

I'll have to pick up a lb and try it out.

Please let us know how it works out for you trying to find a lb of powder that has not been manufactured for decades laugh
RC

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just want to know what experiences you have had with this "old dino" of a powder that has you so convinced of its worthlessness--you are correct it will never be back but give me some good hard evidence of something else new or not to change my thinking.You seem a little on edge over my post--so give me some examples to support your strong feelings of this subject!!Not trying to offend you here but I would appreciate some clarification. Thanks

Woody
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
RC thanks for your point of view--I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one,enjoyed the back and forth comments. "Flem"

Woody
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well I just picked up 3 lbs. at an auction that looks to be in excellent condition so Ill give the ol dog terd a light and we will see if its worth a chitt.......

broken bones broken heart stripped down an torn apart a lil rust but Im still runnin countin miles countin tears twisted roads and shiftin gears year after year its all or nothin Im not home and Im not lost just holdin on 2 what I got...God and Guns

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
669 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 74 invisible), 2,722 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,029
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.