Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
I found a used .30-'06 Winchester Ranger in very good condition today in a local pawn shop.
It is complete with an unknown make (possibly a Weaver 3 x 9) scope in Weaver rings

I am not familiar with the "Ranger" model. I am assuming ( I know, assuming causes bruises ) that it was a lower priceed version of the Winchester Model 70, but I don't know if they put decent barrels on them or as much care in assembly as the regular Mod 70.

This rifle appears to have had the stock refinished and carried a bit, but not shot very much at all, and has been cared for.

Any input on quality and what it might be worth?

Thanks,

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

BP-B6

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Same as the others produced at the time. Stock was a cheapo of course. If the price is right, schnaaagggg it.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Buddy of mine hunted with one for years. Never gave him a bit of trouble, was extremely accurate and kicked like a jack mule.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
dunno about value, but they were just an economy version of the M70. some were made "ADL style" without floor plates but the main cost saving cuts were in wood quality and metal finishing. barrels and all else was the same as the standard M70 AFIK. had one in .243 when i was a kid.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I bought one for my dad when i was in high school back in the 80's. He still hunts iwth it today.... Like described, kind of like the ADL of the model 70. It is the only gun my dad has hunted with since I bought it for him all those years ago and have killed a pile of deer. Very good shooting gun and he has never had a bit of problem out of it. Hunt with it, clean it at the end of the season put it up, repeat for almost 30 years.

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Blue Book, 30th Edition:

Model 70A (economy version) is worth $450 at 100%.

The Model 70 Ranger is $475 at 100%, $350 at 95%, $300 at 90%.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've had a couple go through my hands and they were both solid rifles that shot well (bedded in aftermarket stocks). On one the action was nicely blued as was the barrel. On the second, the action was matte while the barrel was nicely blued though the blueing was warn. Both were push feeds and feed very smoothly.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I agree that the action and barrel are std. M-70 and the lower cost due to cheaper stock and less time spent with finish. With a good aftermarket stock and some good glass, it should run with the fast dogs...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I bought one (chambered in 308 win) back in 97 for my wife and I didn't like the plastic follower (it didn't feed real smooth, would hang up on occasion). Never had any extraction issues. Stock was very cheap and plain looking. It shot 1 1/2" groups, which isn't very good with my "worked up" handloads. It kicked like a mule, but was nice and light to carry. In all, I thought it was a neat little rifle but would probably never buy another one just from the experience I had with that one. I only paid $275.00 for it brand new, which I thought was a good deal blush

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
APDDSN0864;
While I've only worked on a couple of them over the years, they seemed to be very serviceable firearms from what I saw.

One in particular stands out in my memory. A coworker picked up one of the "ADL" Rangers in .300WM for a song because the birch stock was so beat up.

I epoxy bedded it for him and then he brought it to work where we sprayed it with some cabinet stain and a few coats of the same conversion varnish we used on kitchens.

As he was just beginning with reloading, I helped him put together some loads, as memory serves an accuracy load out of either an older Lyman or Hornady manual using H-4831 or perhaps IMR-4831 and 180gr Hornay Spires.

So we scoped it with an ancient Scope Chief, sighted it in and then the first 3 shots he takes at 100yds go into a nice 3/4" triangle!

He turns to me after the third shot and asks, "If we play with this thing a little bit it should shoot better don't you think Dwayne?"

Bless him, he figured they all should land in the same hole. laugh

That particular Ranger shot at least that well any time I was around it, which was as good or better than many, many that I had in the safe at the time. grin

Hopefully that was some use to you APDDSN and good luck whichever way you decide. All the best to you and yours this weekend.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Karnis,

Does $250.00 sound like a good price? grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Dwayn,
I was looking for a good used rifle for my BIL to begin hunting something other than tiny NC whitetails with.

I found this one and a used western Field 720A built by Heym on a Mauser action wearing an older Weaver 3 x 9 scope.
Both are in good-very good condition, both have been well cared for and not abused.

The wood-to-metal fit on the Ranger is excellent, far better than the Model 70 XTR I had in the 70's.
So, now I get to make a decision. Buy them both and then decide which one to give him, or just buy the Ranger...

Thanks for the input!

Ed

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
APDDSN0864;
Well that is a bit of a pleasant dilemma for choice is it not?

The Heym on a Mauser should be a pretty decent arm as well, so it might be a toss up?

That said, I've played with an older Voere 7Mag that was built on a Mauser and was disappointed in the results with the bullets we tried, so just because it's built by European craftsmen on my beloved Mauser actions doesn't always mean success I suppose?

While I fully realize that Voere and Heym are two different entities from two different European countries, up until I played with that rifle I'd had 100% success with old school European rifles. Now I can only claim 99%. wink

Anyway Ed, I'd make an semi educated guess that both would do yeoman duty for a whitetail rifle for your BIL.

Again, good luck with your family rifle project whichever way you decide and all the best to you and yours this weekend.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They sound equally good to me. If he (the BIL) is available he could choose the one he prefers. If he is not, pick the one that feels best to you. Then if he doesn't like it later, or wants to upgrade to something else, tell him you want first crack at it, at the original price.

Or buy both. Test them, and keep the best one for youself. (ha).

Oh, and if $250 is the price, that is a good deal for a solid gun. From the pawn shop, especially, always tell them you are interested in a particular gun, but what is their best price. They will usually knock off about ten percent. If they don't offer to knock anything off immediately, tell them you only have so much to spend, and you want to know what the "out-the-door" price will be with tax and any fees. Sometimes they will eat the tax, or throw in a box of ammo. Pawn shops usually only pay about a quarter of what something is worth, so they have a lot of room to play with. Have fun.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have one in .270. Shoots well, no problems.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Karnis,

Does $250.00 sound like a good price? grin

Ed
That IS a good price.. Offer 'em $200 in greenbacks on the counter and see what happens.. Even if they won't budge and you pay the $250 you're in good shape.. As others have said, the Ranger version just had a stained, hardwood stock - not walnut..

Hard to go wrong there..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I still kick myself for trading off one in 223 that was junk straight out of the box for accuracy....

What I should have done was put that 6 x 47 barrel on I was always thinking of....

of course that is when I was younger and stupider..

Model 70 actions are still my favorite..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Weren't the barrels on most of those FWT contoured? IIRC, my .223 Ranger had the stepped-down barrel of the FWTs.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
The barrels have the same contour. I took my sons' .243 Ranger and dropped it in a FWT stock.Can't tell it from the real thing unless you read the "Ranger" on the barrel.

Neil

Dong Ha Vietnam '67
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Weren't the barrels on most of those FWT contoured? IIRC, my .223 Ranger had the stepped-down barrel of the FWTs.

The one I had was NOT a featherweight contour...

Bought it at Walmart.... the Barrel was crap from the start sadly... still sorry I traded it off tho... I'd love the action and the stock..

I do have a Model 70 Featherweight in 223, which is on the pristine side..the ranger, I could bounce around in the field and not worry about it....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
676 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 219DW, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 81 invisible), 2,903 guests, and 1,437 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,478
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.