Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Seeking a good compact has been a difficult task. I am turning my attention to monoculars.

Any experience with monoculars appreciated, and specifically the vortex solo 8x36 compared to the smaller cheaper 8x25's and the larger ZR 8x42.

Use is varied from birding during hiking, fishing, and other activities where even small yosemites are a bit large, to occassional deer hunting when/if the binocs get left home.

Daytime use, though darker shadowy deep woods is likely too.

Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I looked at the vortex units and have to say definatly 8x is the way to go over 10x. I was very surprised at how good the view was through one. and believe it or not the FOV is just as wide as a binocular. I want to get one to clip to the visor on my truck or some other easily accessable area. to me the advantage is they are easy to wip out and take a quick look at something. beyond that some small binoculars are the ticket. I like the redfield rebel 8x32's

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To me the Zen-Ray's look like they might be better, but I have no actual experience with either.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You may wish to consider the Minox MD 8x42 CWP Monocular Part# 62208

(Minox description)

For adventurers and discoverers, travelers and nature enthusiasts � MINOX now presents an essential companion for all outdoor activities: the MINOX MD 8x42 CWP monocular with integrated compass. Boasting a field of view of 123 m by 1,000 m, 8-fold magnification and an accurate compass this new MINOX MD 8x42 CWP is the perfect constant companion for all those who enjoy outdoor life.

Besides its high optical performance features the MINOX monocular has an integrated compass as well as a fine reticle for the range determination of targeted objects. These technical features make the MINOX MD 8x42 CWP a reliable navigator, not only for those interested in water sports, but also for every outdoor enthusiast who likes to venture into the unknown and unexplored terrain.

The MINOX MD 8x42 CWP is particularly robust and watertight to a depth of 3 m. With extremely compact dimensions 65 x 61 x 143 mm and a weight of just 370 g, the new MINOX MD 8x42 CWP has an exceptionally good grip and is easy to handle. The convenient single-handed operation enables a comfortable and reliable use, while the sturdy metal body offers optimum protection against external influences for the brilliant optics.

The scope of delivery of the new MINOX MD 8x42 CWP includes a practical wrist strap as well as a soft case.

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
S
S
CameraLand has a salesman's sample of the Minox 8X25 miniscope listed in a previous post for $89; the regular price is $179.

I purchased one from CameraLand a few weeks ago and am quite satisfied with it. The image is very sharp and bright and compares favorably to that of my Zeiss Victory 8X20, but it is a little harder to hold steady. One of the features I really like is that it has a close focus of about 1 foot (measured by me) and is very handy for looking at plants, bugs, rocks, photos, paintings, etc. It also has an adaptor that allows it to be attached to the top of a walking/shooting stick or monopod; I might find it of some use.

It is smaller than my folded Zeiss compacts, but not by much. However it was 1/6 the cost. The Zen Ray monocular sounds very interesting, but was a little larger than the pocket I wanted it to fit in and doesn't have quite the close focus capability of the Minox miniscope (or is it macroscope?). It might be worth checking out to see if it meets your requirements.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 73 invisible), 2,722 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,163
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.