Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
John Barsness's (Mule Deer) latest exclusive column, "WIND FLAGS ," is on its way to your Inbox. If you haven't received this or previous versions, simply PM me (RickBin), and you'll be on board for future monthly columns.

Here are links to the last few columns:

"Scope Height"

"Rifle Brass"

"Getting The Most Out Of Your .30-06"

"Affordable Detachable Scope Mounts"

"Big Game Scopes"

Don't forget to check out John's (and Eileen's grin) other stuff at http://www.riflesandrecipes.com.

Many thanks, as usual, John!

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My shootin' days are long past, so my interest in range flags is altogether academic. FWIW2U, I can add very, very little from my leaky ol' memory. I suspect that these li'l nuggets will jibe neatly (pun intended) with JB's observations.

Somewhere in the middle of the midden that I live in, there's a large sheet of paper � a "wind map" that Homer Powley drew.

He stationed a bunch of helpers behind safe barricades at several in-between mid-range distances, then fired over their heads at the target beyond them.

As the bullet crackled past each mid-range observer, that fellow recorded the direction and the speed of the wind at his location, at that instant.

Homer's "map" shows that the wind was blowing every whichaway, at different speeds, between the muzzle and the target.

A wind flag fluttering at every ten to fifty yards between the muzzle and a distant target is indeed an interesting sight to see!

And an old (1950ish) photography magazine once ran a photograph of flags on opposite sides of the street rippling briskly in directly opposite directions at the same time.

So much for the assumption that a wind from 90� to the left is always and only at 90� or from the left all the way out to that far target.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's an example:

These are my flags that I use for BR competition, set up in my back yard, spaced 5 ft. apart. They are fitted with my own double roller bearing heads, so they respond instantly to any change in wind direction.

Wind speed was from 7 'oclock and approx. 8-10 mph.

First pic is as you'd expect to see..the flags showing a steady 7 o'clock condition:

[Linked Image]

This photo was taken immediately after the first, with no 'on your body' perceptible change in wind direction and/or speed.

[Linked Image]

Not only have flags 2,3,5 and 6 moved to indicate a pretty dramatic shift in wind direction....flag #4 is now indicating a near complete headwind situation.

Other than Jim Carmichael, JB is the only 'mainstream' gun writer that gives credence to the use of flags for load work, etc.

Food for thought..... smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shooting at 500�1,000 yd, I've often wondered how many invisible, dustless "dust devils" might be swirling out there between my muzzle and that "death row" prairie dog.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ask John Barsness Questions About "WIND FLAGS."

What? Ne'er yet a question for John?

Gee, John, I didn't mean to hijack your thread!

My sincerest apologies, ol' Pard!

"Good enough" isn't.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
John,
Not a question, but a big thumbs up on a job well done.
Wind is the biggest Achilles heel of precision shooting at any distance.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
xphunter,

Thanks!

Figuring the wind without flags is a really interesting process, even with one of the little electronic wind-gauges available today. Prairie dog shooting is one of the best teachers there.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ken,

Naw, you didn't hijack anything.

Evidently I covered the subject fairly well!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Agreed!
Ernie

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
xphunter,
Thanks!
Figuring the wind without flags is a really interesting process, even with one of the little electronic wind-gauges available today. Prairie dog shooting is one of the best teachers there.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Really ENJOYED the article, Se�or.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Sorry I'm slow getting to this thread. Being a BR shooter I really know the value of good windflags. I also sell the BRT windflags from Australia. They were used by the Aussie team to win the World BR Championships in South Africa. Pictured below is one of our flags in Iraq. The US Military uses them in some places to help in launching their drones.
[Linked Image]
As was mentioned above, put out 5 flags and they can all be doing something different. Al's pics are great. The wind is hardly blowing and it makes it easy to see what the wind is doing.
[Linked Image]
The BRT flags have double ball bearings in the pivot and the propeller. The propeller on the BRT flags are primarily used to tell you when the wind picks up or lets off. They are very responsive. They are not good wind velocity indicators as they move so easily. That is the purpose of the tails that are made from sail cloth. They don't flop in the wind, they just move up and down depending on wind velocity.
Thanks for listening to a sales pitch.
Butch

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Those a real nicely-designed flags!

John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Great article John...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A picture of 5 flags, telescoping stands, ground spikes, level and an aluminum carrying case. The aluminum case is 5"X11"X15". Very easy to take to the range.
[Linked Image]

Butch

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
John, I agree with the others great article. It's a must read if shooting good groups is a goal. I also agree that one seldom sees wind flags at the local ranges, even though most there are trying to shoot good groups. I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that mostly because of your article we will begin to see more talk about flags and begin to see more of them at the ranges.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like a great article, I'd love to read it!

The "Wind Flags" link in the first post goes to the December 2009 article on "Cartridge Efficiency".

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I decided I was going to shoot benchrest, I bought 6 second hand Smiley Hensley wind flags. I put out 4 on the hundred yard range at my club and marvel at how many times the wind can change in 100 yards. The guys at my club refer to them as "wind [bleep]" but I am convinced in their value and won't burn off ammunition without them.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I would love to read it myself!

Steve

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
me too !

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Try this one:

Wind Flags

I have a question related to wind drift more than wind flags. Does a bullets ballistic coefficient have much effect on wind drift? For example, will a flat base bullet drift more than a boat tail under similar conditions?

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
725 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 88 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.