Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I had questions on a post in one of the sniper's forums and got comments from another forum. What are your thoughts.
http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?74550-Another-50Millionths-Man
Read all of the posts.

Butch

Last edited by butchlambert1; 05/04/11.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Interesting read. Answers where about what I figured.

Hell Fulton Armory still sells guns to the unknowing too...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I am guessing he must charge a lot for his rifles as the tools required to read the tolerances and surface finishes are not cheap. Also neither are machine tools that hold those tolerances.

By the way for a good lapping machine 50 millionths is a easy to obtain tolerance yet this person is down on lapping.

ENorton

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And if bullschitt were music they'd have a brass band..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
to hold .00005 = Bullshit

1 degree of temperature = .000006 per inch

We fight temperature in my shop constantly (No A/C) trying to hold 2 tenths .0002

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B2

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The thing that made me go hmmmmm was the Beverly Hills CA address.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have seen and put my hands on parts that were lapped to a tolerence of 70 millionths.

A gentleman that I knew long ago was an engineer at Catepillar that designed the mechanical fuel injectors for Cat's diesel engines. It was a barrel and piston assembly that relied solely on the precision fit of the components to act as a seal.

The barrel and piston were lapped to almost a mirror finish. The coolest thing about it was if you seperated the piston from the barrel it was a struggle to reinsert the piston. You could fiddle with it for minutes trying to get it perfectly aligned. Once you aligned it would slip in with ABSOLUTELY no play - even with piston only minimally inserted.

This was all accomplished with ultra high dollar state of the art machining and lapping processes at Catepillar.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I wonder if there are any machinists who rough out the chambers with a boring bar on a CNC lathe and then EDM to finish the chamber? I think that would give good results.
It would be interesting to see this guy check concentricity
because the tolerances on the rifled bore aren't nearly that close.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We talked about this topic during our first break Friday morning.

Many laughs, a couple bullshits, and one "who cares what they say they can do" from the toolmakers at Revere Plastic.

You can hold a 2" part in your hand for a couple minutes and change it's size up to .0004

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by ENorton
I am guessing he must charge a lot for his rifles as the tools required to read the tolerances and surface finishes are not cheap. Also neither are machine tools that hold those tolerances.

By the way for a good lapping machine 50 millionths is a easy to obtain tolerance yet this person is down on lapping.

ENorton

He does.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have and operate three Waidia Jigbore and Jiggrinding machines at our shop. They are in their own room with climate control. We keep it at 70 degrees +/- 1 degree at all times. So I know alittle bit about holding close tolerances.
I think they are full of [bleep] even talking about holding 50 millionths tolerances. Holding true position of a hole to .0005" and diameter to .00001" ,your doing something. Let alone .00005". I was working on a part one time that was 36" dia with a .500" wall thickness. I was having trouble holding true position of a series of hole on the face of this dang part. A engineer from the company that we were make the part for happened to be there watching the part being machined. He said the reason we were having trouble holding the tolerance was because the work light on the machine was heating the part enough to throw the tolerance out once the part was taken off the machine. Oh and by the way I wasn't trying to hold .00005" tolerance.

Last edited by Hunter333; 05/08/11.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I worked in a place once where the parts had to sit in an air conditioned room for eight hours prior to machining.
Then they had to sit for another hours after machining before they could be checked. There were two machinists ready to fight over who was making the parts with the oversize bores. Luckily they were working 12 hour shifts so there were only two people involved. My manager wanted me to check the part and I could hardly get the air gauge in the bore it was such a tight fit.
I think the total tolerance was 20 microns or something like that. They went out of business eventually. Good times!

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Butch,

We routinely hold everything to an absolute zero. We decided to go this route so no one could ever make a better rifle.

Half a tenth is for pikers.

First liar never stands a chance!!! laugh laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
John,
You are a piece of work!
Butch

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
John,

Now that's funny!

But why don't all the bullets from your rifles go in the same hole at a mile?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Butch,

We routinely hold everything to an absolute zero. We decided to go this route so no one could ever make a better rifle.

Half a tenth is for pikers.

First liar never stands a chance!!! laugh laugh

'Splains it all now!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The one up game is always fun. You killed a 6 pt bull I killed a 7. You caught a dozen steelhead I caught 13. Your rifle shoots quarters mine shoots in the tens. It's all good...

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I just loved John's response. I hope no one took it differently.
Butch

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
..anyone can work to a tenth of a thou.......the hard part is hitting the right tenth...:-)

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
As a being a grinder/machinest for 25 years,it's been my experence that most people in the trade who like to "say" they work in the world of the micron have little to NO experence actually cutting metal...

Usually it's engineers and paper shuffler's who are the culpruts..

Where I work we grind and hand lap bores and diameters to +/- 1 micron match fit clearences..

The amount of hoops we have to jump through to acually accomplish this is mind blowing!

If this is the ONLY tolerence you work with,"absolute zero"..
The costs of doing so will eventually eat your lunch!

That's is what our challenge is where I work..Everything is so ridiculously tolerenced that once we are ready to take something to production,venders that we solicite to have work quoted usually take one look at the prints and refuse to quote...

This is the only work we do here and I feel as a result we are never a "stable" place to work and are always on the brink of closing the doors...

The bottom line is, talk is cheap and actually doing it is another thing all together! IMO

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 7 invisible), 1,583 guests, and 734 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,547
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.