Page 1 of 2 1 2
#5220430 05/08/11
E
eyeguy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
My dad hunted Alaska when I was 3 years old and I grew up watching the 8mm video of his hunt. I knew some day I to would go to Alaska for an adventure of my own.
Jake Jefferson of Black River Hunting Camps and I had talked a few times and I had been wathching his hunt reports over on the AR forum. We decided to throw my name in the hat for a Kodiak bear tag and I was lucky enough to draw on the first try. Many e-mails back and forth with Jake and help from you guys here on 24 hour and I was ready to go.
We flew out with Andrews Air on the 27th. It was a bluebird day no wind or rain. Got the tent set up and had a nice 8+ ft bear go over the snow saddle 1000 yards behind the tent. Didnt sleep much as I was dreaming of kodiak bears running all over the hillsides. About 45 min. before we were scheduled to get up a light rain started to hit the tent fly. It wasnt until the next morning that it gave up enough to let us out of the tent. During the rain delay I made it out for a few minutes towards evening and spotted a bear 1 3/4 miles away. We spent the whole next day set up on a ridge hoping to get a better look at him but he didnt show. On the way back to camp that evening we spotted the bear that would be know as "our bear".
30 TH. All of the next day we waited fo him to show himself but just like the day before this bear didnt show. We did manage to see a sow with a single cub and one othe rubbed 7 ft type bear.
May 1st. We went for a walk down the beach to a new vally and saw quite a few deer and fox and one pretty decent 8 ft bear with some minor rubbs.
May 2nd. The breeze was blowing up the valley with a little left to right in it. We decided to check a small valley behind camp that Jake had taken a 10ft + bear out of a few years back. We hugged the right side of the valley to keep our scent out of the bottom an left slope as these were the most likely area the bear would be. As soon as we sat down Jake said "Bear". This bear had caught our scent and was headed out of the valley. In 10 Min. he covered more ground than we could have in the rest of the day. He as in my opinion the biggest bear we saw on this trip. 10 ish. Rubbed some on his right side. After buggering up this valley we decided to go look for "Our Bear". Walked the ridge over and there he was same elevation and 100 yards from the first time we saw him. We decided to make a push for him as we had 4 hours before dark. 2 hours later I was within 180 yards of him. Only one problem he chose to bed in a really tough spot. They always do that. He had alders below and on both sides of him and a little ridge with devils club hiding him from the top. Even though we were above and to one side of him he was well hidden. We were not sure even if he stood if that would do it. Rather than force the issue we decided to back out and come back the next day. That was really hard for me but my guide said it was the smart thing to do. He was right.
May 3rd. 6th day of the hunt. We got up early and headed to a spot in the valley about 600 yards below where we left him beaded last night. As far as we could tell he had'nt moved. Now the waiting game was on. We needed him to make a move in any direction. About 3 in the afternoon he started to stretch and move around alot. 15 min later he was on his feet. The hunting God's must have been smiling on us for our patience because he decided to feed down the mountain. He kept working down the mountain and we kept working closer to the base of the hill. Finally we were within range and he was standing broadside. Saftey off and on my sticks only one alder branch the size of my thumb angling across his chest. Just need one step!! That when he threw his nose in the air and took a couple of long pulls. My guide said "you better shoot" but I needed one more step. As it turned out he didnt give me one more step but turned and went staight away I didnt want this shot but thought I may be forced to take it. Jake hooted at him to get him to stop. I gave him a step to see if he would but no luck. As I was following him through my scope He reached forward with his front legs to start covering some real ground. Hard quartering away the scene went into slow motion. I pulled ahead a little and squezzed off the shot. Jake later said he almost buckled but regained footing. That shot caught him on the back ribs right side and ended up in the meat of his front left shoulder. Jake gave a followup shot through the chest and as I got back on him he was headed acroos the slope. My second shot broke his spine near the hump and he tumbled into a clump of alders and was done. WOW that was a rush! My feet didnt work so good for a few steps until I settled down. We had "Our Bear"
He had better fur than we could have hoped for dark and no rubs. Nice long white claws and worn teeth. Not real old but est. at sealing to be about 10 years old. 9' 2" sq. 26 1/2 skull. Long legs fairly short body 10'+ legs meas. and 8'+ nose to tail. Also he has a split lip and the layer of extra pad tissue that they get in the den was still on his feet. Pictures to follow. Thank's for all your help. Dean

GB1

E
eyeguy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Camp
[Linked Image]

E
eyeguy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Split lip
[Linked Image]

Jake with his 100th bear
[Linked Image]

Nice white claws
[Linked Image]

Last edited by eyeguy; 05/08/11.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Very nice! I like the looks of that bear! I'm wheels up in 2 hours. Hope I bring back something in the class you did. Looks like I have the wx.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Dandy bear. Congrats.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dean....

Congrats hunting buddy!!!!! Great bear, great pics. That is sooo awesome. Nothing like cking one off of the bucket list on such a cooool hunt and successful too.

Great job.
Sean

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Nice... Got any more pics?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Beautiful Bear.

E
eyeguy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Andrews air Flew out in the beaver at the top.

[Linked Image]

You can see a little bit of the den pad covering that hasn't worn off yet.
[Linked Image]

Jake working on the bear. Just a touch over an hour and he had the whole bear done except turning the lips ears and eyes.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by eyeguy; 05/08/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CONGRATS.
An adventure to last a lifetime.
Great pics.

Proud NRA Life Member
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great story and a wonderful trophy. Thanks for sharing. There is nothing else like an Alaskan bear hunt.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
R
rjf Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Nice!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Congrats on a very nice bear!

E
eyeguy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
You asked for more photo's

Gray whale shoulder blade

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Me in my rubber mountain slippers. They sort of grow on ya.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Dean, that is a great bear! Also, very nice pic's; congratulations.

How do you like those Bushnells? Are you pleased with them optics-wise, the RF, etc?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
George....

I will tell you about the RF of them. As you know, Chris and I use the Leica Geovids and they are awesome. The optics cant be beat. BUT, when it comes to a foggy soup, the only RF that worked last deer season was Deans---yep, the bushnells. We could not get the Leicas to cut thru the fog. I am not saying i am trading them as i couldnt see thru the fog to much to shoot anyways, but when you could see a few hundred yds, it would have been nice to get a reading.

Optically...i will let Dean speak regarding that. I dont think they are on par with the Leicas....but that is not really a fair comparision. I think they are good for teh price tho from the lil time i looked thru Deans. Again...Dean can better advise, but thought i would throw my 2 cents in for you. ANd to yet again tell Dean congrats. Love all the photos. Cool whale blade pic. I bet it paid to be 6'5 with a monster stride up there in the wet country. Poor guide probably met his match. haha.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great write up and pics. Beautiful bear, are you going to do a lifesize or rug?

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
AWESOME trophy, huge congrats!!! Thanks for sharing such a great story.

E
eyeguy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
George, As Sean said the rangefinder rocks readings to 1800 and 1100-1200 on almost anything. The optics have good central resolution fair edge to edge clarity and fair at best color fidelity. The bino's have a light blue tint to them that bugs me but it doesnt seem to affect what I can find with them. Great value if looking for a great rangefinder and good bino's.
As for my mount I will have to start measuring some potential spots in the house and see if a lifesize is even an option. Basically I havent decided yet. Dean

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eyeguy
The bino's have a light blue tint to them that bugs me but it doesnt seem to affect what I can find with them. Great value if looking for a great rangefinder and good bino's.

I have a pair along with the big Geovids. I got the Bushnells on the weight of JB's write-up and I agree on the value for $$ spent but he didn't see the blue tint like I did thus the question. Mine has it too. I agree about the RF aspect too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 1936M71, 16penny, 57 invisible), 2,821 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,523
Posts18,452,769
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.