-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The local dealer showed me one, which was fascinating as it uses FN PS90 magazines, mounted the same way as they work on the FN bullpup rifle.

If they work well, it seems like it would be a useful home defense/pistol caliber carbine.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
they work but it is like shooting a 22 hornet and i think you need a little more weight for home-d. but then 50 rounds will let you hold off a few bad guys!!!

R
R
I dunno. You have a .223 bullet with a speed of 2300fps and energy of 395 ft lbs, about three times the speed to inflict a fatal wound. Very low, almost unnoticeable recoil on an AR platform. 50 rounds to solve your "problem". Any more than that usually requires air support. You can get ammo from frangible to armor vest piercing.

Obviously I have one. ;-) And I like it. Very accurate, fun to shoot, ammos costs not too bad, and my personal favorite defense piece. Also matches with my choice of pistol, the FN Herstal 5.7. To add, both my pistol and carbine have worked flawlessly over hundreds of rounds.

The world is a dangerous place. Not because of the evil people in it but because of those who won't do anything about them.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
The local dealer showed me one, which was fascinating as it uses FN PS90 magazines, mounted the same way as they work on the FN bullpup rifle.

If they work well, it seems like it would be a useful home defense/pistol caliber carbine.

and it's easy to catch the brass from it too. when running a suppressor it's less messy than a DI gas operated upper.

reloading those little cases is a pain though.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by RowdyDan
I dunno. You have a .223 bullet with a speed of 2300fps and energy of 395 ft lbs, about three times the speed to inflict a fatal wound.
I don't understand what you mean by "three times the speed to inflict a fatal wound"?

IC B2

R
R
I should have been more precise and referred to energy. There are varying estimates of how much energy it takes to inflict a wound, from 60ft.lbs in "Hatcher's Notebook", to 80 from another source, to 150 from yet another. Regardless of the figure, 395ft lbs is clearly enough. And to clarify further, obviously not every penetration will result in a fatal wound since placement can vary. Let us say the placement is in an area where a fatal wound could be produced with enough energy. Again, 394ft lbs would be enough if in the right place.

As to the original point which was suitability for defense, this round was specifically developed as a defensive round. This from Wiki:

"The 5.7�28mm projectile potentially poses less risk of collateral damage than conventional pistol bullets, because the projectile design limits overpenetration and has a reduced risk of ricochet.[36][38][39] In the event of a miss, the lightweight projectile also loses much of its kinetic energy after traveling only 400 m (1,310 ft), whereas a conventional pistol bullet such as the 9�19mm retains significant energy beyond 800 m (2,625 ft).[35] This range exceeds the engagement distances expected for the 5.7�28mm cartridge's intended applications, so the cartridge's limited range is not conversely considered a disadvantage."

Important points, I think, relative to the use of the 5.7 as a defensive weapon, either in the pistol or the AR.

Apologies for any confusion. I am not a ballistics expert (but pretty much know where the shot should be placed). I don't feel undergunned at all using the 5.7. I haven't tested it yet, but I am certain I can get off many more accurate rounds in the same time one could with a 9 or a 45. And I would bet good money I can snap them off way faster and accurately out of an AR platform than I can with my 9mm or 223.

More importantly, it's just darn fun to shoot.

The world is a dangerous place. Not because of the evil people in it but because of those who won't do anything about them.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

262 members (308xray, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,715
Posts18,457,060
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.