-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Whatever you do, don't forget the horseradish (more = better), and DON'T use miracle whip!

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by wattsthis
This is one from Tyler Florence.
1 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Drizzle olive oil
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 store-bought bag shredded slaw mix (containing red and green cabbage and carrots)
In a large bowl, mix together the dressing ingredients. Add the shredded slaw mix and toss until combined.

Couple of question about this one. If I wanted to cut the cabbage and carrots, about how much to add to this mix.

What is the most vinegar that you possibly add to this mix before it wouldn't taste good?

I ask because I once had an apple cider based cole slaw at a place in northern Michigan called Ava's or Eva's that was just awesome.

Thanks

Tom

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Guess you could leave out the lemon juice and add more vinegar, I think equal amounts of vinegar and sugar. try mixing it first and them adding the mayo after you get the right sweet, sour taste right.

Wattsthis
"All I'm say'n is don't get old. You'll live to regret it"
John Wayne Movie...The Train Robbers
J
J
* 3/4 cup mayonnaise
* 3 tablespoons sugar
* 1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
* 1/3 cup oil
* 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
* 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
* 1/8 teaspoon celery salt
* 1 dash black pepper
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 1/2 cup half-and-half
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 large head cabbage, finely shredded

Preparation:
Directions for coleslaw
Blend mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar and oil. Add onion powder, dry mustard, celery salt, pepper, lemon juice, half-and-half and salt. Stir until smooth. Pour coleslaw dressing over shredded cabbage in a large bowl and toss until cabbage is well coated. Keep coleslaw refrigerated. Coleslaw serves 8.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There's also this one courtesy of duxndawgs. If you like blue cheese give it a try, you won't be sorry.

Mike

Blue Cheese Cole Slaw

5 cups shredded cabbage
1 cup shredded red cabbage
1/2 cup mayo
1/4 cup butter milk
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon minced garlic
3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese (split 1/2 cup and 1/4 cup)
salt to taste
fresh ground black pepper to taste

Combine cabbage in large bowl. In a food processor or blender combine mayo, butter milk, garlic, 1/2 cup blue cheese, Dijon, pinch of salt and pepper. Process until smooth, pour over cabbage, add remaining blue cheese, toss to coat/mix. Adjust salt and pepper to taste, cover and chill for 3-4 hours.

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
IC B2

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by jackmark
* 3/4 cup mayonnaise
* 3 tablespoons sugar
* 1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
* 1/3 cup oil
* 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
* 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
* 1/8 teaspoon celery salt
* 1 dash black pepper
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 1/2 cup half-and-half
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 large head cabbage, finely shredded

Preparation:
Directions for coleslaw
Blend mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar and oil. Add onion powder, dry mustard, celery salt, pepper, lemon juice, half-and-half and salt. Stir until smooth. Pour coleslaw dressing over shredded cabbage in a large bowl and toss until cabbage is well coated. Keep coleslaw refrigerated. Coleslaw serves 8.

This one is interesting.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is an admonition to never, ever, under any circumstances, run the vegetables through a food processor and chop them like they do in grocery store "delis" and way too many restaurants. No dressing can save that sorry mess.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like a very simple dressing. I don't use a recipe, but usually my slaw dressing will have mayo, sugar, salt, pepper, celery seed and vinegar. How much depends on the flavors of the cabbage I am using.

As with most dishes, you can screw up cole slaw by trying to get to 'fancy' with it. Simple is better.

Sam......

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

This one is getting saved-that sounds great.

Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
There's also this one courtesy of duxndawgs. If you like blue cheese give it a try, you won't be sorry.

Mike

Blue Cheese Cole Slaw

5 cups shredded cabbage
1/2 cup mayo
1/4 cup butter milk
1 teaspoon minced garlic
salt to taste

Combine cabbage in large bowl. In a food processor or blender combine mayo, butter milk, garlic, 1/2 cup blue cheese, Dijon, pinch of salt and pepper. Process until smooth, pour over cabbage, add remaining blue cheese, toss to coat/mix. Adjust salt and pepper to taste, cover and chill for 3-4 hours.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

This one is getting saved-that sounds great.

Originally Posted by BOWHUNR

Mike

Blue Cheese Cole Slaw

5 cups shredded cabbage
1/2 cup mayo
1/4 cup butter milk
1 teaspoon minced garlic
salt to taste

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1234, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,052
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.