Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
10ring1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi, I recently purchased a gun from a man who appearantly didn't know it was stolen. He supposedly bought it from a pawn shop, advertised it online and sold it to ME (of course). I have about 500 in the gun. It was transferred through my FFL when he shipped it to me. He emails me and tells me a government agent will contact me in regards to recovery.
Many questions:
1. Am I in trouble?
2. How can I get my money back if the seller doesn't cooperate?
3. What happens next?

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Live and die by the Browning...
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ouch!

That really sucks.

I'm interested to hear what folks say about this.

IIRC if you bought it in good faith I do not believe you will be held criminally liable.

Your money? Who knows.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Get with your local PD and have them get involved to work to start a pay back process.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wouldnt worry too bad,sounds like all you did was receive stolen property. Most likely the guy you bought it from will refund your money.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You won't get in trouble UNLESS you knew it was stolen,small claims court if the seller doesn't cooperate and lastly, I would make sure it was a goverment agent you are sending too, not just a scammer...

There are a lot more ½" rifles than ½" shooters.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
i had this happen to me locally. i bought a pistol from an guy i know.turns out he stole it from his father.police came and took the pistoland gave me information on how to get my money back. and no ,if you did not know it was stolen.chris

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
File off the serial number and place in your gun safe and play dumb laugh

Last edited by theduke308; 05/12/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 10ring1
Hi, I recently purchased a gun from a man who appearantly didn't know it was stolen. He supposedly bought it from a pawn shop, advertised it online and sold it to ME (of course). I have about 500 in the gun. It was transferred through my FFL when he shipped it to me. He emails me and tells me a government agent will contact me in regards to recovery.
Many questions:
1. Am I in trouble?
3. What happens next?

Thanks everyone for your advice.

DO NOT call the police until you first talk to an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction!! You need to know what your risks are, along with your obligations!

If you call the PD, you may be placing yourself at their mercy--and what if they have none?

Call the attorney and get advice as to how to best do the right thing.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Lose the gun!!
$500 will be less than your attorney fees

I am one gun away from happy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hairtrigger
Lose the gun!!
Yep-if you have to pay a lawyer you will lose BIG TIME!!

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You purchased the gun legally through an FFL. I honestly dont think anything lands on you, but cover your 6 just in case. Ask a lawyer friend if you can.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
There is always time for lawyers later. Contact the folks in line and ask each to pay back the funds. If they refuse they are the ones in trouble both in the eyes of the DOJ and the courts.
It does not cost you much to go to court to sue for funds and cost of court. Collection on the other hand can take a lot of effort and time and may eventually not be worth the effort.
Frank

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
See if the PD can help you recover your money. If not move on and forget about the $500. The lawyer is going to take you for more IME...

Rick
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

1. Am I in trouble?
3. What happens next?

1. You're not in trouble.
2. If the seller doesn't cooperate, you'll have to sue him. Whatever "agent" is involved in recovery will no doubt follow the paper trail back and try to find the one who stole the gun in the first place.

It would, by the way, be pretty dumb to "lose the gun" since it's already established that you received it. That would get you into trouble.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I own a pawn shop and have had this happen a few times. first of all it is not that big of a deal. You will be fine no trouble for you. I would not do anything till they contact you sometimes they don't if the charges get dropped or they are just being lazy they will never come get it from you. If the owner of the gun does not push it the leo will forget about it. Remember you did nothing wrong so you will be fine. If they want the gun give it to them. Make sure you have a record of you giving it to them they will probably lose it lol. It is not as big a deal as you think it is, it happens everyday. You will not get your money back you can try but you will spend 2000.00 to get your 500.00 Unless the guy you bought it from is truly on the up and up and pays you. Small claims court is a joke. Good luck and don't lose sleep over it.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Call the ATF and they will likely send you your money and then some and have you send the gun to an undisclosed address in Mexico.

In all seriousness, the local PD is not a bad option. your state may have laws against possesion of stolen firearms, regardless of what the DOJ or other TLA agency might think. better off coming clean and losing 500$ than losing your rights as a gun owner.

In preperation for the future please be prepared to be waitlisted by the FBI on all future background checks. you'll likely have a flag moving forward at no fault of your own it sounds.

Best of luck to you man and let us know how it turns out.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Grumulkin

1. Am I in trouble?
3. What happens next?

1. You're not in trouble.
2. If the seller doesn't cooperate, you'll have to sue him. Whatever "agent" is involved in recovery will no doubt follow the paper trail back and try to find the one who stole the gun in the first place.

It would, by the way, be pretty dumb to "lose the gun" since it's already established that you received it. That would get you into trouble.

I'm with this guy 100 percent.
You are not in trouble. You bought it in good faith and not knowing.
The local police have nothing to do with you getting your money back!
You are not likely to get any money back from the seller. Actually everyone down the line would have to go back to the pawn shop. And he is not likely to reimburse you.
Calling a lawyer is even dumber than telling the police to get your money back. That will only cost you more money and make the $500 seem like it was very cheap.
If you bought it from a listing on Gunbroker they may reimburse you some.
Don't even think of "losing it" like someone said. That WILL get you arrested. Then the $500 will look very cheap compared to the lawyer fees and fines, etc. Paperwork already shows that you had possession.

Best of luck to you on this. Just be glad it wasn't more expensive.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

The italicized part is where you lost me.

It was shipped, then transferred through an FFL?

And when he called in the background check, it was cleared to transfer?

If stolen, I would think it would've been caught at that point in the process. If not, you and the gun were cleared through a background check. So, you should be in the clear, even if they do come get the gun.

Something though just isn't adding up... The seller contacted you that it was stolen? How does he know?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by crow_sniper
Lose the gun!!

I second that

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by salty444
Originally Posted by crow_sniper
Lose the gun!!

I second that

Wrong answer, x2.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
655 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 06hunter59, 257man, 73 invisible), 2,921 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,667
Posts18,399,373
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2023 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.