-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It seems odd that folks will pack around extra weight when there are fantastic scopes available. I use binocs to finbd game. If I can't make out horns I can switch to the rifle which has either a 4 1/2-30X50 Bushnell or a 5-25X52 Swarovski. Both do an excelent job at their top magnification.

I bought the Swaro because it is a few ounces lighter than the Elite. It has seen way more use time than the Swaro.

Maybe someone has compared a spotter with either of these. If so, would you post your opinion?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ringman, with all due respect, those scopes won't come close to a high quality 65mm spotter, or even remotely close to a 85mm class spotter especially in low/poor light conditions. I hunt wide open stuff and don't feel the need for anything over 10x on my riflescope, ever. Then again I don't launch bullets past 400 yards either, and seldom at that distance. I've never seen a hunter in camp yet show up with a scope like you describe to use as a spotter.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Give 'em time. Some will catch on.

Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I really believe they already have, no what I mean?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Know. Knot yet.

Everyday Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman
It seems odd that folks will pack around extra weight when there are fantastic scopes available. I use binocs to finbd game. If I can't make out horns I can switch to the rifle which has either a 4 1/2-30X50 Bushnell or a 5-25X52 Swarovski. Both do an excelent job at their top magnification.

I bought the Swaro because it is a few ounces lighter than the Elite. It has seen way more use time than the Swaro.

Maybe someone has compared a spotter with either of these. If so, would you post your opinion?

Ever tried to count brow tines on a moose at 3+ miles with a rifle scope?? Hard to compete with a spotter that can zoom to 60X firmly mounted on a steady tripod vs. 25X rifle scope resting over a backpack or the like. You can get away with a rifle scope for some types of hunts, but when talking LONG distances over crappy terrain like bogs/swamps in the brush where its hard to lay down to get a good rest to even get remotely steady enough to hold the rifle to get a decent view at animals at that distance.

Where antler configuartions aren't required for the animal to be legal in that it just has to have antlers or the like then sure why not just get a big rifle scope...but personally I'll keep the hubble on my tripod and off my rifle. Plus I don't like to make a habit of "spotting" with my rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Plus I don't like to make a habit of "spotting" with my rifle.

I don't know anyone who doesn't look through a rifle scope at animals. I do read about folks on the net who claim they don't.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never said I haven't ever looked at an animal through my rifle scope before, just said I try not to make a habit out of it. By only relying on your rifle scope to check things out closer pretty much ensures that it would become a habit.

I won't give up the quality images of a spotter for the hunting I do for a lesser quality image and limited zooming for long distances by mounting a hubble on my rifle to "save weight" when I would end up having to do 3 times the hiking to confirm if an animal is legal or not.

Like I said it might work for the style of hunting and the animals you are pursuing. Which is great and I am glad it works for you. But for myself where I hunt and the animals I am chasing a true spotting scope on a tripod can't even come close to effectively being replaced by just a rifle scope.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think that it would be an interesting "shoot out" between a Nikon 50ED spotting scope compared to the 50mm riflescopes Ringman talks about. [img:right]http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=312521&d=1299967006[/img]

I know my Leupold 2x7 was not the equal to my Swarovski non phase-coated 7x30SLC binocular. My feeling is that the riflescopes would not "measure" up.

Last edited by SteveWM; 05/07/11.

Regards,Steve
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Ringman

Looks like Ringman was looking for an argument, not opinions.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yea I know JG I saw his reply right after yours. After seeing or not seeing something in my riflescope compared to my binocular this has been something I wanted to try some day. I am not about to buy one of these riflescopes though. As far as opinions go I would rather see facts. A riflescope is not going to replace a spotter any time soon.

Regards,Steve
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
SteveWM,

Don't limit it to the 50mm Bushnell Elite. Also include the 52mm Swarovski. Maybe folks would like to see other 50mm rifle scopes brought into the comparison.

Before I mounted the Bushnell I took it to the range several times and compared it with lots of brands of rifle scopes. This incluses Swaro, Leupie, Nikon, and others. Once I compared my 50mm set on 30X with a 62mm spotting scope set on 30X. I think it was a Minox. So far it is the only scope, spotting scope or rifle scope, to give me a sharper image then the Bushnell 6500.

After I bought the z5 I discovered it was also no better than the 6500 when both are set on the same magnification. Never the less, the Swrovski is WAY better in low light and is lighter.

Last edited by Ringman; 05/07/11. Reason: forgot something: could you put one of those charts up so I could copy it?

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ringman, Here is a link to one you can copy post #32 by Surveyor.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=147615&page=2

Regards,Steve
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, SteveWM.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I got a pair of Leica Geo's 15x56 last Lear and have had a very good Zeiss spotter for ten years. The Geo bigs get reached for ten to one over the spotter. Binocular vision, no eyestrain, wide FOV, etc. I go to the spotter when I want a closer look at what I've already spotted with the "eyes".

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,286 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,096
Posts18,464,125
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.