Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Been thinking about taking a Marlin XS7 in 7mm-o8 and doing a switching out the factory barrel for a 6.5 creedmoor. Say Pac Nor or something similar. I purchased a XS7 in 7mm-08 for my son and while they are not as well made as some, they function well, and they shoot.I put his in a Boyds stock and glass bedded it and it is a really nice looking / shooting gun.Pac Nor could match the factory contour and I would do a 1-8 about 25" long to get the most out of the creedmoor. Any thoughts?????

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You could buy a Ruger in that caliber for what you would spend building your budget rifle.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or one n 264 WinMAg and have a really GOOD 6.5. Speed kills, and is never a bad thing.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by doubletap
You could buy a Ruger in that caliber for what you would spend building your budget rifle.

This is true for the wood/blue version.The Ruger would be a more desirable rifle,IMO, even if the Marlin was wearing Pac-Nor.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Ruger lists their stainless, synthetic at the same price as the blue, wood version.

PS - For me, budget and custom don't go together. If you want a custom, pull out the stops and go all out or don't bother.

Last edited by doubletap; 05/05/11. Reason: PS

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
IC B2

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by doubletap
PS - For me, budget and custom don't go together. If you want a custom, pull out the stops and go all out or don't bother.

I disagree because a Savage or Marlin action has all of the accuracy potential of a Remington 700 and then some. When mated with a premium barrel they're hard to beat, and that for a cost that is in the neighborhood of a stock Remmy.

On the other hand, if I want a really classy rig that is judged on more than its accuracy (upon craftsmanship & form) I'd skip right over the 700 for a '98 or model 70, personally.

To each his own... I like the idea the OP put up myself, and am working on something similar 'cept mine'll be a Savage 110 action chambered in 6.5-06 AI.

PS- nice thing about Creedmoor (compared to the 260 Rem & 6.5x47, its main competition in the short action 6.5mm market) is that you can form from Lapua 22-250 brass. More is not always better... I've gotta imagine that is a pleasant round to shoot!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
As others have stated, just buy a 264 Winny or the 6.5 Creedmoor chambered in another rifle and keep your 7/08 as is.

If you convert your 7/08 into a 6.5mm, you`ll soon miss the 7/08 anyway......

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
efw,
Prices must be high where you are. I've seen some 700's recently that were less than the cost of installing a premium barrel.

- Albert Einstein
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Guys, so you know.....I have a custom 7mm-08 based on a model 7, I have a custom 6.5-06AI based on a 700 la w/26" barrel, a custom .280AI based on a 700 la w/26" barrel, a custom .250AI based on a 700 SA, a souped up XS7 marlin in 7mm-08...boyds stock , bedded(my sons rifle) Sako A7 in 270 win, CZ527 in 223 w/ hvy barrel & HS precision stock........I have looked at the Ruger (own two Ruger handguns)and it kind of made me mad that Ruger changed the barrel length on the 6.5 creedmoor from 26" to 24" recently....frankly I think that is a mistake....many may not....also I feel the accuracy potential might be better with a XS7 w/ after market tube. also, most Model 77 I pick up and work the action feel pretty rough compared to the XS7. Bottom line....I really don't need a 6.5 creedmoor......but I love my 250ai which is the same ting only in 25 caliber.I have seen many guys use the savege 110 action as the base action for a custom...why not a marlin?

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
No reason not to do it, GS. You've got the action/stock in a duplicate cartridge and an itch for something new.

I'd go for it if I were you. Keep in mind that the actual installation is simple and can be done by you with basic tools available to you on your bench. All you'll need is a bench vice, the nut wrench for your Marlin, and a go gauge for the Creedmoor.

Pac Nor will send you a fully chambered barrel to your specs and you save a few bucks doing the install yourself. Buy a gauge for 7-08 and you can change back in the future if you wish. One suggestion I would make is that you consider getting an aftermarket lug... the stamped lugs are the weak link on these actions and a leveled one can make a big difference.

I'm a mechanical MORON... I mean seriously... hooking up a gas dryer gives me fits, and I can do this.

Good luck on your project!

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I can't see the desire for such, but if it floats your boat then there is no reason not to go for it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I want a Creed, I will buy and happily use a Ruger, rough action or not, they have been dead nuts reliable, and very accurate for me in various models.

If I want a 47 or 260.....I will build....as I am doing now.

If you just want to kill chit.....you have plenty, and it looks like you prefer 26" tubes - sure you can find a new in box or gently used Ruger Creed in the original 26."

Pac-Nor makes good bbls, nothing against them.

BTW, you mentioned building a 25" custom Creed - in 8" to 'get the most out of it.'

What do you feel it will offer over the current 24" Ruger in 8 twist? I can tell you now, 1" = 25-30 fps........

FWIW, whether I build a 47 or 260, or both, I am pretty set on NOT going over 23" and it may be as short as 21....handling and accuracy only stand to improve. Blast a tad greater, but I use plugs and muffs. Speed can be offset w/one or two clicks. They will kill the same - guaranteed.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
65BR.....I really was considering the Ruger in the 6.5...I might still go that way.....a pastor friend of mine has a 25-06 M77 I helped him re-barrel with a 24" Douglas tube that shoots lights out.If you look at my post I stated about 25" for the tube..who knows.....I completely understand your point about velocity...we could make that argument about just about every cartridge barrel length. I think Rugers have gotten better and own 3 Ruger products...I will say the difference between 24 & 26 on the 6.5 creedmore is enough to change the game a bit.....why would they bring it out in 26" in the first place if they did not think it mattered?No big deal....your points are well taken.......I still might go the Ruger route if I find one....thanks for the feedback. Goodshot

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Honestly, I would definitely get the Ruger, find the bbl length you want, sure you can scrounge the 26 if you want. I have NO doubt, that Ruger and Hornady did NOT want to repeat Remington's mistake and have speeds NOT to spec in rifles/ammo, and wanted the best publicity for the new Creed- to maximize it's odds for gaining a foothold - commercial success.

ACTUAL test data shows the Ruger 26" to produce every bit of spec speed and 'then some' by a few fps. No doubt, they did not 'throttle it back' but loaded it right to it's performance ceiling, safe pressures in modern rifles like the Ruger.

I was not ragging you sir, just putting things into perspective and perhaps save you some money up front (Pac-Nor and a gunsmith would not like me saying that) but none the less, I believe you will be happy, whatever direction you go. The Creed and it's competition can give the 25-06 a good run for the money as you may know in similar bullet weights, yet offer higher weight options on the higher end, that the 25 cal does not allow.

Good luck sir, you will be happy I am sure. Do report your results. Thanks.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I think the thing that attracts me to the darn round is my 250AI....low recoil...kills deer great etc etc.....I think the creedmoor would be just a touch better at the same job and kick a bit less than my 6.5-06AI......I would probably run either the 120BT or 130AB depending on what I was after. I am a big guy 6'3" and weigh 250... I tend to shoot 26" barrels better in most of my hunting situations (open country) If I bought a Ruger I would probably be fine with it stock...might want a better trigger and smooth the action if possible and then go hunting.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The Marlin has a barrel nut, right? If so, there is absolutely no reason you can't make a switch barrel. All you need is a wrench for the nut, a good vise for the barrel, and a fine punch to make a witness mark for the 7-08 setup on both the nut and the barrel.
Then you can ship the action to PacNor like you want. Easy-cheezy.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dude, if I were 6'3", a 22-24" bbl just wouldn't seem right smile LOL. Seriously, I'd opt for 26" in a pinch. We all are built different and handling and balance is subjective to ergonomics.

Owned a few Rugers, some lapping compound working the action/bolt will smooth it up, no Jewelling to lose or worry about. The trigger, they respond real well to simple spring change i.e. ball point pen and perhaps a little honing, but they are VERY simple to work on and it's little time investing, though a Timney or similar is a good option.

Switch barrels have crossed my mind over the years, but I like to grab a rifle so chambered, scoped and sighted and rock and roll. The are a good option and w/quick detach mounts, one can save many $$$ on actions, stocks, scopes, triggers, etc.

Seafire on here I believe runs a few, might reference his experience.

The 250 and AI are two rounds I admire, both for what they do...and the recoil they don't...very mild and effective. It would be a top choice in a Cooper 54 or Kimber Montana....though the latter would need a custom tube.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I think you guys might be confused on my idea. I was going to simply buy a Marlin XS7 in 7mm-08 so I could use the action and trigger. I don't want to do a switch barrel gun, just use the xs7 action and trigger and install a higher quality barrel from Pac Nor or some other barrel co. Have them match the Marlin contour and chamber the barrel in the 6.5 creedmoor. At 275-300.00 its a pretty decent action and trigger. I would then get a Boyd's stock (they already inlet for the XS7) maybe get a better lug and have a 6.5 creedmoor / Marlin XS7. I have one switch barrel set up and would never do it again....to much screwing around. I'm not sure my idea has any more merit that a stock Ruger in the 6.5 ......I'm just another rifle looney dreaming away.....truth be told I need a 6.5 creedmoor like a hole in the head....I have a 6.5 -06AI that I can easily match the creedmoor with the 3000 fps w/120BT....but with higher recoil.The older I get the more I like small efficient cartridges that kill, but don't kick......I was thinking the creedmoor simply because it is a duplicate of my 250ai only in a 6.5. It probably makes more sense to just buy a Ruger and tweek it a bit......Goodshot

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Being a real loony,I'd rather have another rifle that a barrel job and be shooting now.
Plus down the road the Ruger will bring more in resale...than a Mutt

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
So Rifle....what would make a re-barreled Marlin XS7 a MUTT...I can't wait to hear another nice comment like that about a simple idea. Just wondering what prompted that comment?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 2,614 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,528
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.