Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I was considering making one of these my next acquisition. Anybody own one? Experience, thoughts, and suggestions?

I own several CZ 452 models and even the plain jane CZ 513 but thought the single set trigger model would be interesting.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Yes...

I've had my CZ453 for a couple of years now. It seems to dislike cheap ammo, but loves Wolf Match Target ammo.

I had my gunsmith pillar-bed the action screws, glass-bed the receiver and re-float the heavy barrel to get everything I could out of the rifle. I put 21 inch/lbs of pressure on the front action screw and 25 inch/pounds of pressure on the rear screw... and mounted a 4-12x40mm AO mid-priced Bushnell "Legend" scope with "plex" crosshairs on it which gives a very clear, sharp "picture" and gathers 91% of the available light.

Set on 12x, this combination plus Wolf Match Target ammo puts bullet after bullet through almost the same hole at 50 yards off the benchrest using a rifle rest with sandbags under the forearm and at the toe of the butt-stock.

A small screw inside the trigger guard adjusts the set-trigger. If you turn the screw "in", the trigger gets lighter. However, if you turn it "in" too far, the rifle becomes DANGEROUS because opening the bolt or moving the safety off "safe" will cause the rifle to fire... so adjust the set-trigger screw CAREFULLY!

The 453 "varmint" rifle is a very accurate .22 rimfire rifle with the right ammo. I tested over 30 different brands/styles of .22 rimfire long rifle ammo... CCI Mini-Mags shot the best in "cheap" ammo, but not nearly as accurate as Wolf Match Target long rifle ammo.

Hope this post helps you... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks for the excellent reply Ron. It is very helpful.

What rings did you use to mount the Bushnell?

I have a T-36 standing in the corner of the vault with no home at the moment. It would be fun to wring out the Varmint from the bench with this glass - at least for a while.

Last edited by sheffieldshooter; 05/15/11.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You're welcome... I'm pleased my post was helpful to you... smile

I bought the Weaver-type (not sure of the brand) scope rings at a local gunstore. I simply took the rifle and scope up to the gunstore and checked out different mounts until I found a set of mounts that allowed the scope's large front turret to barely clear the rifle's barrel... and those are the mounts I purchased.

I have no idea what size or height the mounts were, but I suggest you do the same... and try to mount the scope as LOW as possible as long as the scope's front turret still clears the top of the rifle's barrel.

Good luck and shoot well... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
You can't go wrong getting one... I bought one two years ago after shooting a friends at at BR50 match...5 rounds of Wolf Match and it was just a ragged .22 caliber hole...

[Linked Image]

Funny thing was he had told me to fire one shot at each of the practice targets...I shot all 5 at one and when he looked at the target he asked where the rest of the shots were...

For matches I have been using CCI Green Tag as I was given a case of it several years ago...runs very well in the rifle. But for just plinking the WalMart Remington 550 bulk packs are boringly accurate...like shooting the heads off shotgun shells at 100 yards..

This group was out of the American 17" threaded 452 I have with the Remington...

[Linked Image]

...who needs match ammo for cans...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

700 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 73 invisible), 3,550 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,379
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.