Topic Options
#524505 - 07/10/05 03:11 PM What is Lubalox and what will it do to my barrel?
SAKO75 Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: GEORGIA
Is this MOLY? what precautions do you need to take when shooting the winchester stuff with this coating?

#524506 - 07/10/05 03:18 PM Re: What is Lubalox and what will it do to my barrel?
SAKO75 Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: GEORGIA
so failsafes are moly?

from nosler's website:

Are Lubalox and Moly the same?

NO, Lubalox (CT Ballistic Tip) is an oxide-based coating, which reduces fouling and allows more shooting between cleanings, also Lubalox does not buildup in the barrel and requires only normal cleaning procedures. Moly (CT Fail Safe & Partition Gold) is a molybdenum disulfide coating which reduces fouling and friction. Moly requires a barrel be conditioned by shooting several rounds after cleaning and special cleaning procedures. Accuracy with non-coated bullets may not be up to par in a Moly conditioned barrel.

#524507 - 07/10/05 04:04 PM Re: What is Lubalox and what will it do to my barrel?
5sdad Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: South of Minnesota
SAKO75 - if I've got it right (I think I do, but I have been wrong before): Lubalox is NOT moly. I believe it is a rather benign coating. I have heard that 1) it was intended to provide some small degree of lubrication and 2) it was applied purely for cosmetic purposes. I have never heard of its having any sort of bore-fouling capability. Winchester continued to load Lubalox bullets in their factory loads after selling out handloaders in the Combined Technology (no one has ever explained the reasons for it that I can find) misadventure and only providing moly-coated component bullets. I have heard rumors of them coming to their senses and I have also been able to find the old Lubalox bullets through ardent seaching of gunshops as well as on ebay. Hope this helps. John

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.

#524508 - 07/10/05 04:34 PM Re: What is Lubalox and what will it do to my barrel?
HunterJim Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Santee, CA, USA
I have shot a fair number of FailSafe bullets with the original Winchester Lubalox coating in a Steyr .308 Win, and I have not observed any bore effects from it.

I have heard that Winchester originally used it as an appearance coating to set the FailSafe bullet apart from the competition, especially when it was loaded in nickel-plated brass. You know how that high speed, low drag look sells.

jim

#524509 - 07/11/05 05:06 AM Re: What is Lubalox and what will it do to my barrel?
Mule Deer Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Banana Belt, Montana
I've never been able to discern any effects from Lubalox-coated bullets, one way or the other. This in particular applies to Fail Safes, as I have also removed the moly from component bullets and never found any ill effects, either in accuracy or pressure.

Winchester only Lubaloxes their factory-loaded Fail Safes, but molys the component bullets. They claim this is because the pure copper of Fail Safe jackets tends to increase pressures over standard gilding-metal bullets, so they moly the things to protect foolish handloaders from themselves.

I do believe Winchester is the last big-time bullet or ammo-maker to still carry the moly torch. Most everybody else has given up.

MD

#524510 - 07/16/05 04:35 AM Re: What is Lubalox and what will it do to my barrel?
pointer Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: Indiana
Hornady still offers moly on a lot of their varmint and target bullets.

#524511 - 07/16/05 08:10 AM Re: What is Lubalox and what will it do to my barrel?
Phillip_Nesmith Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Alabama
Which is on the bullets loaded in Winchester Supreme factory ammo with the Nosler Accubond bullet? I thought about trying the .300 mag Accubond loading, as it's easily available at WalMart everywhere, but I don't think I'd like the moly fouling troubles.

#7558413 - 03/17/13 08:35 PM Re: What is Lubalox and what will it do to my barrel? [Re: Phillip_Nesmith]
beartooth Offline

Combined Technologies Ballistic Tip uses Lubalox and in one of my 06s the 180gr actually shot tighter groups than the standard BT did. Easy to clean, and a great killer for deer, hogs and black bear.

#7558959 - 03/18/13 06:24 AM Re: What is Lubalox and what will it do to my barrel? [Re: beartooth]
DakotaDeer Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

It has never seemed to do anything one or the other in the Winchester factory loads that I've shot/been around.

I've always assumed it was a benign black coating meant for advertising purposes.

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
CLICK BANNER for HUGE SAVINGS on MINOX OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
695 registered (19rabbit52, 01Foreman400, 16gauge, 18sgd99, 75 invisible), 1416 Guests and 338 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
50456 Members
72 Forums
634066 Topics
9096230 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright 2000-2013 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.