Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JOG Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I can walk all day hunting pheasants, but after 30-minutes of steady walking on asphalt/concrete I need a pit crew.

Any suggestions for shoes that might help?

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have never found a pair of shoes comfortable for walking on Asphalt or Concrete.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm more of a runner than a walker, but have the same problem.

One of the guys at work runs marathons, he suggested these for me: shoes

However I opted for these: cheaper shoes

They're the best running shoes I've had, which haven't been many.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CFVA
I'm more of a runner than a walker, but have the same problem.

One of the guys at work runs marathons, he suggested these for me: shoes

However I opted for these: cheaper shoes

They're the best running shoes I've had, which haven't been many.

I had a pair of Nike Air Windrunner shoes. Paid about $70 for them back in '89. Wore 'em out and to date have not been able to find anything near as comfortable.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to run a good bit and Etonic used to make higher end (as well as very entry level) shoes. The best by far when it came to cushioning was a pair of their VO2's. I just went to their website and found these walking shoes http://www.etonic.com/mens/running/minado-walker/minado-walker.html If you can find them locally it might at least be worth trying them on. You can get them for a lot less than listed on their homepage.
For example. http://www.holabirdsports.com/m/Sho...alker%20Men&utm_campaign=Google_Base

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer a boot if your not running/excersicing but just walking around. Something like a good work booat. Lots of guys like the redwings and that's what I pay for the guys in the shop but they don't fit me well so I use those wovlverwine durashock. Made for people who stand all day on concrete. You can put your weight on/off the boot and feel it compress/cushion.

Just an idea.

Otto is my co-pilot.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Romeos with Gel insoles are the best I've found so far and standing and walking on concrete is all I've done for 20 years.

Georgia Boot romeos are pretty good, but I'm partial to the Rhino brand.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by NathanL
I prefer a boot if your not running/excersicing but just walking around. Something like a good work booat. Lots of guys like the redwings and that's what I pay for the guys in the shop but they don't fit me well so I use those wovlverwine durashock. Made for people who stand all day on concrete. You can put your weight on/off the boot and feel it compress/cushion.

Just an idea.

Funny you should mention those two. I wear the durashocks at work because of the concrete, get a year out of them on average. The Red Wings I wear at home, they're the only boots I can get 2 to 3 years out of, the acid in cow manure eats up the other brands too quick. Red Wings are great once you get them broken in, but the first month is a bitch!

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
As a 250 lb mailman who walks on concrete/asphalt all day I like the Nike Air Monarch.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Higher numbered 700+ newbalance. walking 20+/- miles a week in mine. Havent had anyproblems and very comfortable.

Deserve's got nuthin to do with it- Willam H Munny
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
So far Rockport's "Prowalker" has been the most comfortable traditional lace-up leather shoe I've ever worn while standing or walking on concrete. They lasted well, too, though I tend to hang on to old, comfortable shoes a bit longer than other's might. (I guess maybe I should add that I weigh 200+ lbs and extremely flatfooted.)

Last edited by joken2; 05/19/11.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I have a pair of these and have been wearing this model for about 10 years.
http://www.zappos.com/rockport-northfield

Zappos and shoebuy have free shipping both ways in case they are not what you are looking for. I spend a fair amount of time on hard surfaces.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Redwing's.

Camp is where you make it.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Clarks, the original ugly ones. I stand and walk a lot on concrete. These shoes are worth twice what they sell for.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I'll give a +1 on Rockports. Mine were very comfortable and lasted for many years although it's been 20 years since I bought them so my review is dated. My favorite tennis shoes are New Balance. And I will throw another brand into the mix: Dr. Marten's. The sole is thick and absorbant. Lots of styles to choose from (the stuff I wear you have to scroll down that page quite a ways at the link I provided). I had a pair of Wolverine Durashocks that tore my feet up, but I've known folks that like them.

Last edited by Gringo Loco; 05/19/11.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by JOG
...but after 30-minutes of steady walking on asphalt/concrete I need a pit crew.

Any suggestions for shoes that might help?

If you're going to be serious about the "best" shoes, for YOU, you need to analyze your feet (or better yet, have somebody who is experienced do it for you).

Do you have high arches, or almost flat feet?

Do you have pronation (over/underpronation) issues (do you wear out the inner or outer edges of soles first)?

Once you know what kind of feet you have, you can start to concentrate on shoes specifically designed for your situation.

Cushioning is important, but if you are forcing your feet to land or stride in unnatural ways, you're gonna hurt.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, I bought these, for an upcoming African hunt. I have feet issues, and these are the most comfortable boots, I've worn in 3-4 yrs. I'm doing a 2 mile walk, everyday, on asphalt, and so far two thumbs up!

http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productID=16351&TabID=548

maddog

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
md: those should be ideal, see if you can find or even need some sock guards...if not, I wrapped the top of my shoes with duct tape....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
ingwe, if you are talking about gaitors, Martin said we wouldn't need any. Also, I'm wearing carhartt long pants, so they will be covered. In my hunting world, shorts and hunting don't fit in the same sentence.....grin

maddog

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

218 members (160user, 12344mag, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 22 invisible), 2,281 guests, and 924 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,718
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.