Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
TheDude Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I finally located a Left handed Remington 700 XCR, this one is in 30-06.
I have wanted to try one out for a while and the one I received a couple months ago, has one of the smoothest actions I have ever felt.

when I went to mount some Talley LW's I noticed the front hole in the receiver (closest to the barrel) was not drilled all the way through and the screws that came with the rings would not tighten the bases down all the way.

I looked at a couple other 700 receivers and this was not the norm.

I called Remington who advised I should send it in for repair.

I just got it back yesterday and the bolt wont close so, I called Remington again.

By now i'm a little frustrated because the first guy I talked to told me it is most likely the bolt isn't cocked and if I do this it will most likely close and then rushed me off the phone. Well, the bolt WAS cocked but I messed with it a bit to make sure and then called them back.

The next guy told me on the XCR's they intentionally do not tap the front hole all the way through because the metal coating they use will get into the threads and you will never get the barrel off in the future.

I said fine, sounds reasonable but why is it STILL not tapped all the way through, the coating is already on. Furthermore, the Talley's STILL wont screw all the way down AND now the bolt wont close.

I have pretty much had it with this rifle already. I asked them to send me a pre-paid shipping label since I already paid for shipping once and have the same problem PLUS a new one.

I will send this thing back once more, get if right and sell the damn thing on principle, I've never had any issues like this with any of my other rifles but the whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth regarding Remington and their QA. Hell, more than just their QA, I question their competency. How could they send this back to me from the factory like this!?!

Ok, rant over....if you made it to this point. Thanks for listening.

Regards,

Josh

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Happens often just shorten the front screw so it will tighten down. I have had several that way.Don't send it in,this is very easy to fix.

Last edited by highridge1; 05/20/11.

1 and done
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get in touch with Swampy, he'll explain how it's all your fault because you didn't grind down the Talley screws. Wait till you tighten up the front receiver screw and it locks the bolt closed.
700 =s POS

You could buy this for the same $, have an all steel rifle, with a French walnut stock, a real extractor and , oh yeah, the scope mounts go right on.

My southpaw friend switched to a RH rifle because it was actually faster to cycle with a scope installed!

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I too have an XCR LRT in to get that front hole drilled and tapped properly. From the unfinished nature of the threads in the front hole, but finished threads in the three others, it was clear the front hole was drilled/tapped later. The probability is that they didn't want to drill into the barrel threads.

My XCR Compact Tactical was done properly from the get go, so I think the story they gave you doesn't hold water. I hope I don't have to deal with a load of bullshit over my LRT.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Happens often just shorten the front screw so it will tighten down.

I wanted the full thread engagement.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It doesn't have to be tapped through to be good........ This is not a big problem ,unless you don't have enough threads to even work with.

1 and done
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Not a big deal, I don't think I have ever owned a 700 that didn't need the front screw filed or ground down.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As above, when scoping many Rem's long ago, I had to work the screw down on a wetstone.

Funny though, NEVER had that issue come up w/any other rifles that I can recall. It's just the way Rem does things.....as many other ways......they resist change.

That fact is why there are SOOOO many aftermarket parts. ALOT of room for improvement in bolts, triggers, barrels. True many average shooters won't know or care until they have a complete failure to feed, fire, extract, or eject.

700s offer entertainment to tinkerer's who want to 'fix' what left the factory not done right.

Lastly, once all screws are snug/torqued, be sure to run your finger thru the inside of the action and feel if any of the four screws protrude. If so, they must be shortened just enough or that material that is proud will interfere with bolt functioning.

Good luck.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Mine is the first problem one in about fifteen.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Quality control has gone down hill at Remington. Of course the last Remington Rifle I bought was a left handed BDL in 270 in the 80s. That and it's right handed twin (which I bought in the 70s) have both been flawless from the first day. I recently bought an XCR II in 375 H&H and the bolt would barely close on Remington factory cartridges. Turned out the extractor was too big. My gunsmith is installing a Sako extractor (an upgrade) as well as welding on the bolt handle (I hear they have a habit of coming off on the newer 700s which would be a problem for me since I'm hunting brown bear this Sept). I decided to have it rechambered to 375 Weatherby while he was as it.

Anyway, the rifle will be sweet when I get it back, but it's the last Remington rifle I will ever buy, and I've been a Remington fan for 40 years

Last edited by colorado; 05/20/11.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Few things are more dangerous than the Sako extractor mod. Thanks for not buying any more Remington to booger up. More for me.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I think some of you may have missed the spirit of my post. Not a big deal to have a send a firearm back to the factory right out of the box, I've had to do it one other time, $hit happens.

My issue is with the fact that it came back from repair with not only the original problem it was sent in for un addressed, but now it has another problem.

There is just no excuse for that. I will send this one in, get back to the way it should have been when it left the factory and then sell it.

If you guys dont mind filing down screws, replacing extractors, welding on bolt handles etc....good on you. Not my glass of beer.

Over the last 25 years i've owned several dozen rifles and a dozen or two revolvers. I've never sent something back to the factory that came back worse than when I sent it in.

You can have your 700's...this one is for sale by the way, if you like em that much, here ya go..

Josh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have to have an accurate rifle, so I'll stick with the Model 700. Please keep selling them as I only buy 2nd hand.

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Few things are more dangerous than the Sako extractor mod. Thanks for not buying any more Remington to booger up. More for me.

I guess I'll take Kevin Weaver's (weaver rifles) opinion over yours Swampy ... just sayin ...

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just make sure none of your loved ones are nearby when you shoot it.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Drill it deeper and tap it.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This sure is odd stuff....

I have adopted a standard rule when it comes to factory rifles and "flaws"......

NEVER send it back to the factory for repair....they know how to "make" rifles according to a scripted formula.....but they do not know how to "fix" them...

If you like the rifle, bring it to a good smith for proper repair/modification.....if it pisses you off....sell it as fast as you can, even at a loss.

Life is WAY too short, range time too valuable, and components too expensive, to spend on a POS. mad

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's deep enough already. The screw is wrong.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 65BR
As above, when scoping many Rem's long ago, I had to work the screw down on a wetstone.

Funny though, NEVER had that issue come up w/any other rifles that I can recall. It's just the way Rem does things.....as many other ways......they resist change.

That fact is why there are SOOOO many aftermarket parts. ALOT of room for improvement in bolts, triggers, barrels. True many average shooters won't know or care until they have a complete failure to feed, fire, extract, or eject.

700s offer entertainment to tinkerer's who want to 'fix' what left the factory not done right.

Lastly, once all screws are snug/torqued, be sure to run your finger thru the inside of the action and feel if any of the four screws protrude. If so, they must be shortened just enough or that material that is proud will interfere with bolt functioning.

Good luck.

That's why when you want a flawless rifle that shoots 2x as good as a remington you buy a Sako or even the new generation Model 70. If you want Sako accuracy or even a tad better and can live with plastic you buy a Tikka.

If you want to throw away money or have a project in mind buy a Remington.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Swampman700
It's deep enough already. The screw is wrong.

Not in my opinion. If its deep enough, then why are the other screw holes deeper and the other screws longer? I'll not risk it while elk hunting this year, its just to much hard work to not have confidence in my gear.
If I hunted from the truck or a stand not far from my truck, so what....I don't.
Again....this rifle is for sale, PM with your offer.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,841 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,695
Posts18,456,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.