Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by deflave
Does anybody besides myself take the time to put on slacks and a button up shirt for church anymore?

I can't stand everybody wearing their [bleep] flip flops and t-shirts to church.

Travis

Dont fit, dood. jus sayin.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Sauer200
Does anybody besides myself take the time to put on slacks and a button up shirt for church anymore?

I can't stand everybody wearing their [bleep] flip flops and t-shirts to church.

Travis

Who are you to be critical of what others wear to church?

In my opinion getting dressed up for church is pointless because God sees you naked twenty four seven.

Who am I? Nobody. I just can't stand when people dress like they're going to eat at the Golden Corral when they're going to church. Same for people that stand in front of a judge and look like they just came from the beach.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[quote=the_shootist]CurDog45-70,

I think you'd do okay in one of my services. grin

I'm sure I would. And that is to your credit , not mine .

Actually , I'm a member of a small rural Baptist church , but they didn't come looking for me ; I found them.

I figure if you are going to attend a church service you ought to throw some $$ in the basket.You are responsible for the stewardship of that money.If you think it is going to be used wrongly , you can quit going or try to get them to change what they are doing.

Those folks are satisfied with what's happening to the $$$ they throw in , so trying to get them to change is not the proper course of action.My rule about church attendence is this :

Go, and don't bitch , or , don't go , and don't bitch .

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Swampman700
I don't believe the church was ever right. �

Blessed art thou, Swampman700, for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but our Father which is in Heaven.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by the_shootist
CurDog45-70,

I think you'd do okay in one of my services. grin

Church services that are too stiff, bore me to tears. The ones that totally lack order are out of whack. Somewhere, there is the proper amount of liberty, and the proper amount of order.

"Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty." (2Cor 3:17)

"For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace . . " (1Cor 14:33)

Give me a preacher that's plugged in to the Spirit of God, preaching plain from the Bible, sweating, and doing something -- sleeves rolled up spiritually, and a congregation that is truly looking for something to help them day by day, and you got church goin' on. Otherwise, you got a social gathering.

It don't have to be entertaining, or gramatically correct, with all the i's dotted and the t's crossed for God to get inside a heart and do something miraculous. He's God! That's the way he works! We're here for HIS pleasure, not the other way around! (Revelation 4:11) wink

Amen!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been going to "Cowboy Church". What I call Jesus off the ala-carte menu. Has all the basics but none of the frills. Sundays sermon was accompanied by 3 feed buckets, where the pastor taught that you had to help open peoples eyes to get them to see what is right in front of them. Simple but effective ministry. Church always closes with the kids coming up and singing Happy Trails!

My understanding is they are spreading all over the US and are the fastest growing church in the country. If your looking for a simple, back to the basics church, give them a try.

TM

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am with DJTex on this one.

In addition to what he stated, I would also add that churches have become entirely too dependent on money. Churches spend a lot of money on their buildings, their furnishings, their coffee bars, etc.

When a church has a debt to service, it needs income to service it. Income comes from attendees/members. In order to attract and keep people in the church, the church has to "be attractive" and actually cater to the desires of people whose lives need changing. So the church actually responds to the demand curve set by the people, or it faces the prospect of fewer people--which, of course, means less money!

So, whether any modern church will admit it or not, the number one goal of the modern church is to guard and perpetuate the continued existence of the church entity. The entity, not Jesus, is paramount. Churches do what they have to do to keep givers giving, because church leadership wants to keep the business going. Preaching the gospel is secondary. I must sound cynical for saying that, but I have developed this thought over many years and believe it to be true in the vast majority of churches. Having sat through countless meetings regarding church finance and planning, I truly believe churches are mainly concerned about keeping the church going. And no church has ever realized this critical shift in priorities (or at least ever admitted it).

Churches are too willing to accept "a little pollution" in exchange for keeping the entity thriving.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by CRS
ScottF,

I think some of today's worshipper's like a little more laid back atmosphere.

I think where it went wrong is:
-Too serious
-Too rigid
-Uncomfortable seating
-Holier than thou attitudes
-Shirt sleeve Christians, wear their faith on their sleeves and will screw anyone to get ahead, or make a buck.
-Fire and brimstone
-Too many people worried about who is there instead of why.

I find myself humbled when I am out in the woods enjoying nature. I find myself stressed out at church. Where do think my prayers are sincerest?

I don't think God cares if you're comfortable or not. I believe He cares about your heart.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have a cowboy church in our community as well, and the fellowship where I go and help is in an old truck warehouse that does not look or feel like a traditional church on purpose. Some come dressed up a bit, some in jeans, some in camo head to toe. What is important is that they COME and fellowship and hear Gods word clearly and correctly expounded with a strong emphasis on application. And yes, we have a coffe bar in the foyer, with no rules against bringing your coffee into the main meeting area.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?" - Mark Twain

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You got THAT right .A few years ago the wife and I , having just moved , attended the largest Baptist church in Wichita Falls for an Easter Service.

The "service " consisted of a power point presentation about the new Building project and the attendent financing.And that's ALL the service was !

As proof that this type of promotion pays off , the pastor of the church was "called" to one of the [ if not THE ] largest Baptist churches in Dallas not long afterwards.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
THAT, is sad.

I, too have been on a few boards and such and been to a pile of meetings. Church body's with the right priorities (preaching and teaching Christ and the REAL good news, period) are hard to find but ARE out there. We, as sincere believers need to find these works and support them or - START one. Not a 'denomination' or another cash cow self serving entity but a true outreach oriented Gathering of believers who are mutually focused on fullfilling the great commision of making Disciples and following Christ. Enabling and equipping and uplifting one another toard these things in the process. At the same time worshiping God in our fellowship as well, with hearts and lives and all that we are focused on God, genuinly offering up our meager attempts at worship the best we know how without regard to what we used to like or prefer but rather, true and vital Worship of the only one who deserves it.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by bxroads
Read "Forgotten God" by Francis Chan.

Christian book recommendations from a guy who posts nude pics of his old lady on the net. [bleep] classic.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
tff. Heh.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bauer
Read "Forgotten God" by Francis Chan.

Christian book recommendations from a guy who posts nude pics of his old lady on the net. [bleep] classic.

A lot has changed in my life my friend, which is even more reason to investigate the books that helped me. Give me a call and I'll be happy to tell you all about it. I have a testimony that is anything but boring. 334-795-3596 Clint

You might also want to read up on David........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Crazy Love" is another good one to read by Francis Chan. Nate Larkin's "Samson and the Pirate Monks" helped me a lot too.

Church has become a place where people like to talk about the trials they have overcome. Church should be a place for support to get through current trials, but very can handle that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Travis

I think God wants the same person on Sunday as he has the rest of the week. I've seen far to many Christians take off their "spirituality" when they take off their Sunday Suit.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Scott F
I am not one who thinks God's people can only worship in a formal church setting. In some cases I have a harder time in a formal church setting that I do with a bunch of like minded people sitting around a real campfire with coffee in their hands and smoke in their eyes.

I just thought the coffee bar thing a bit strange.
I'm with you. Many mega churches it seems have fallen hook line and sinker for "ways of the world" and have watered down scripture terribly to justify any and everything. If it feels good, God approves (apparently). Everybody's balance for what is 'right' in a sanctuary is different. I personally could care less about the trappings of the actual building, it's the conduct inside the building that really leaves me shaking my head sometimes. frown

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
It isn't a matter of where, but how

John 4:19-24 (KJV)

"The woman saith unto him, Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet. Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship. Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father. Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews. But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth."

Nor is it a matter of position

Four country preachers were discussing the "proper attitude" for prayer �

"On your knees, of course! That's why we call 'em 'prayer bones.'"

"The Bible speaks often of falling on one's face before the Lord. That's humility. I can't think of a more appropriate position for praying to our Lord."

"He's our Father. We're his children. Raising our hands and our faces to Him, as His children to our Father, is surely the most appropriate way to address Him!"

[No comment from Bro' Sam]

"Sam, what's your opinion?"

"Never give it much thought. But lookin' back, I think I done some o' my best prayin' while I was hangin' upside-down from a windmill."

Prayer works pretty good when you have an Oldsmobile upside down on top of you.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Travis

I think God wants the same person on Sunday as he has the rest of the week. I've seen far to many Christians take off their "spirituality" when they take off their Sunday Suit.

Judge and be judged. Glad you're on the straight and narrow. Could you repost those pics?

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (1eyedmule, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 74 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,356
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.