Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Although I strongly prefer to trade, I will consider offers to buy. I seek a Chris Reeve left-handed Umnumzaan folding knife.

1. HARRY MORSETH KNIFE BLANK
This is a VERY RARE FIND! A Harry MORSETH blank that was owned by a local knife maker and sold at auction when he passed away. I have no idea how he got ahold of it, but it has never been finished or even had a handle put on it. It was in a box with 3 other knife blanks from other makers, wrapped in wax paper.

I doubt you will find another like this. The Morseth brand of knives was founded by Harry Morseth, a native of Norway who emigrated to the United States at age 17. He made custom knives in the early 1900s. In 1971 the MORSETH brand name was sold to A. G. Russell. It has one small grind mark on the bolster area of the knife - nothing much really, but I needed to mention it.

Here are graphics of the blade.
NOTES: End nut shown in the graphics has disappeared. Discoloration is predominantly LPS-3 Marine Corrosion Inhibitor.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

2. Brusletto blade blanks
I have several of these blanks in their carded shrink wrap. They are old stock and were apparently made for the American knifemaker Harry Morseth. For some reason they were never delivered. They are laminated carbon steel, 4 7/8" long, 1" wide, and about .175" thick.

I had a friend arrange Rockwell testing on two blades via his son. Result was: "Just got home from my son's shop. We took the blades to the college shop where he could test them. the Bruslettos are HRC 62 or better." Several years ago I owned a Morseth general purpose knife whose profile strongly resembled the Brusletto blanks, albeit with superior grind lines..

Here are graphics of Brusletto blade blanks, plus a graphic of my old Morseth knife with similar profile.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Two things , no price , and that is not the mark of Harry Morseth. It is the mark of A.G.Russell and was made by Bob Dozier , while he worked for Russell. If you would like to see Harry Morseth's mark , I can post a picture of it for you.

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Knifeshark:

Thanks for the information. Yes, Please furnish me (PM or here, either is okay) with Harry/Steve mark.

Russell Morseths I have seen are etched rather than stamped. And they have the year of manufacture within the etching.

The Morseth knife I show as an example has the same style Morseth stamp as the blade blank. And the knife is not a Russell. . . . Go figure?

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I believe knife shark is right on Morseth mark. My original Morseth mark runs 90 degrees to the blade and my Russels , one of which, is identical to the bottom pic is parallel to blade.

I would be interested in cash purchase.
Cisco

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
IMHO posting a price will speed up the sale of these blades.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
Mark Twain
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Here is an original Harry Morseth stamp. Notice that he stamped one letter at a time , and always in the same place. This knife is a model 2 modified bowie circa 1960. He made knives up to 1965.[Linked Image]Your knife is most definatly an A.G.Russell. Looks like someone removed the handle , because the guard has been soldered in place. The steel used is the Norwegian laminated stock , and the blade style was called the Michigan Sportsman.Some Russell's had the year stamped/etched on the blade , but towards the end they stopped. A.G.Russell bought the Morseth name and rights in 1971 and produced them until 1995.Looks like an early 70's , that Dozier did.

Last edited by knifeshark; 05/27/11.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

455 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 40 invisible), 2,567 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,398
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.