Pelagic Outfitters - LET US HOOK YOU UP!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#528848 - 07/19/05 05:08 PM Re: Fishingboat/Wife help
Longbob Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Denton, TX
I thought it was funny that the Pacific Skiff I checked out has a "swim platform." Yeah, right. Like this Texas boy will willingly put his redneck in that cold a$$ water. Not in this lifetime.

CI16728
#528849 - 07/20/05 06:02 AM Re: Fishingboat/Wife help
JJHACK Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Touchet Wa. & Ellisras South ...
The main reason I believe the aluminum is more common in the PNW is the amount of fantastic river fishing in what can be some very shallow rocky areas. The most serious fisherman and guides all use jet sleds here and fish both the ocean and the rivers. The Sleds are not the best plan for the ocean but they will work. A glass boat is a frigging nighmare in a river though and will be ruined in short order! The Lady fishing Guide I frequently work with here has a 24' alumiweld sled and we have fished it a whole lot in the ocean and countless days in the rivers. You will find that it's the kind of boat to have after living here and seeing what all the big dogs are using. The Rivers are where the action is at for the majority of great fishing, and that is where the Aluminum shines from what I have seen.

Time spent in reconnaissance is seldom wasted

#528850 - 07/20/05 04:08 PM Re: Fishingboat/Wife help
wildone Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Long Island NY
Bob...you must ask your self these questions. What type of fishing do I think I will be doing most of , will I be using this boat for day trips or will I stay overnight , Is my wife going to be on the boat all the time or just once in a blue moon. Granted eventually you will get caught in the rain , but would you leave the dock if it was allready raining , do you want to run the rivers or just fish the ocean. These answers will ultimately help you make the descision, what I would do may not be the best for you. I have no use for a cabin in that size boat I fish for shark and tuna either by myself or with a crew , I overnight in the canyons of the NE in sept and oct and it really doesn't bother me . I use my boats for fishing exclusively , no sunset cruises or bar hopping to various ports of call however I do move ports to fish at times .My fishing styles include live and dead bait as well as trolling . When it gets rough the last place she is gonna want to be is in the bow of any boat when it gets cold will she be still going with you or will she opt for the shopping mall? Not knowing either of you it is hard for anyone here to tell you what is the best boat for you. I have owned as many as 3 boats at the same time 1 of them was always a centerconsole. Best advise I could give you is pick 2 boats of each style that you like the best and go see them in person , walk on them ride on them on not such a nice day( they all ride great when its calm out)open the hatches , play with the knobs, check the fit and finish , see if it has enough room for the electronics you want to put on it, make sure it has enough fuel for the traveling you will be doing, make sure there is enough storage for the crap that you will collect and want to leave on the boat like tackle ,PFD's, some clothes, raingear , flare kit , firstaid kit , drinking water. Make sure with all you stuff on board that you still have ample floor space to move around in rough water safley.See if you could get a referance list of some owners of that boat and talk to them and see what the like and dislike about that brand of boat or what they would have done differently . The two place you are talking about operating the boat are worlds apart in the weather synopsis that is another thing make it a bit difficult to get a grip on what the best boat is for you.

#528851 - 07/25/05 06:16 AM Re: Fishingboat/Wife help
Calvin Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: AK
Actually, I'd make sure I'd have the swim platform/tuna door on a boat if I was spending the loot to get one. The make life easier when it comes to getting wet doggie in and out of the boat if you're going to be doing a little duck hunting with it.

#528852 - 07/25/05 11:53 AM Re: Fishingboat/Wife help
458 Lott Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Conundrum, Alaska
One thing you didn't mention is what is more important, speed or economy. If you're retired and want to be taking longer leasurely trips, a diesel powered troller displacement hull or power cruiser sail boat will have a much longer range, and suck much less fuel running at 6-7 knots, vs a planing hull running 20-25 knots. What's more important, getting there quick, or enjoying the trip.

There is also a quantum leap in purchase and operating cost between a 22-24' cabin cruiser and a 26-28 foot, ie the double the cost of the boat, and double the fuel consumption. A 26-28' cruiser at today's fuel prices sucks upwards of 10 gallons an hour, so you can easily burn $200-250 per day.

#528853 - 07/26/05 08:12 AM Re: Fishingboat/Wife help
Longbob Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Denton, TX
That makes sense about using aluminum due to the rocks in the rivers and such.

The boats will be utilized mainly for day trips. It would be nice to be able to get out of the weather every now and then especially in the north. My wife will be with me most of the time. We try to spend as much time together doing stuff as possible (by choice) and I would like her to be as comfortable as I can within reason. We won't be hard core, just looking forward to being wowed by the scenery and overall ambiance of our surroundings. The fishing will give us something to do and formulate a purpose.

We have thought about the trawler option, but I'm not that convinced that we would utilize the overnight facilities that much if any at all. I think we would be more interested in speed and manueverability.

I cannot express how much I appreciate the feedback and advice. I realize that you are working at a disadvantage of not knowing us, but everyone has given me many things to think about and have helped narrow down my choices.

Any additional thoughts are greatly appreciated.

#528854 - 07/26/05 10:07 AM Re: Fishingboat/Wife help
458 Lott Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Conundrum, Alaska
Aluminum is great for a hardcore fishing boat, very tough and very little maintanance. The downside of Aluminum hulls is they are loud in the water, and they conduct heat very well, so they are cold in Northern waters. I'd say for your use, Aluminum wouldn't be the best choice. That leaves fiberglass, and wood, though there aren't many commercially built choices in wood.

I also think for a couple that will primarily be taking day trips, a 22-24' boat will be more then enough for a comfortable day trip. The 26-28' boats are more for a family of 4-6 taking multiple day trips. The bigger boats are a little bit more comfortable in a slight chop, but they are still small boats. There is a good saying among boaters that the bigger the boat, the less it get's taken out. A C-dory 22 is a nice little boat, albeit the flat bottom provides a rougher ride than a semi-V.

In my highly biased opinion I think the best choice in the size range your looking for is the type of boat I'm building, a Tolman Skiff
http://www.fishyfish.com/paulhail/paul.html

Unfortunately there aren't any commercial builders of them. Even the 24' Jumbo is light for it's size, and hence fuel economic, and provides plenty of room to lay it out any way you want.

#528855 - 07/27/05 08:48 AM Re: Fishingboat/Wife help
JJHACK Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Touchet Wa. & Ellisras South ...
They are loud, I'll be getting mine sprayed inside with LineX this early winter. As far as the jet sleds go they are all fully lined and carpeted inside. You would never know you were in an aluminum boat while inside. They also have canvas enclosures which with the heat on will be toasty warm even in freezing weather.

Remember that in the PNW more then 1/2 the great fishing will be in the rivers or near them, and it's not usually warm or dry here when the fishing is best! There is also tons of great lake fishing so having a boat that you can trailler to the enormous east side lakes is a huge benifit. There you will have warm dry boating all summer!

Time spent in reconnaissance is seldom wasted

#528856 - 08/04/05 11:22 AM Re: Fishingboat/Wife help
wildone Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Long Island NY
If that is the case then I would look at a company called Parker boats. They are made in the carolinas I believe. They are a fiberglass hull with a huge cockpit to fish and rest . They also have a pilot house that you can dodge the weather and do an overnight if you want . They are well built , fast , economical , good ride and fit the profile you have given. I like their 25' sport cabib modle.

here they are http://www.parkerboats.net/

#528857 - 08/05/05 10:47 AM Re: Fishingboat/Wife help
Sitka deer Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Anchorage, AK USA
Longbob
You may want to check the SW Washington/Columbia Gorge area... No Income tax in WA and no sales tax in OR... Lots of fishing and hunting options there.

On the seasickness "thingy" you need to look into ginger... Ginger ale, tea, capsules and "crystalized" (dried and sugared) work extremely well.
art

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
CLICK HERE for GREAT DEALS on SWAROVSKI OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
250 registered (280shooter, 222Rem, 257_X_50, 1flier, 2legit2quit, 41 invisible), 842 Guests and 277 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
51321 Members
72 Forums
652332 Topics
9379374 Posts

Max Online: 4830 @ 12/01/14 06:45 PM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright 2000-2013 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.