Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Nope, full Medalist.
FWIW, we produce several Medalist stocks the fall under 2lbs. Browning A Bolt Ti, Remington Custom Shop, Several aftermarket sporters, etc.

I weighted one of the first samples out of the mold and it was a touch under 2lbs.
Sorry for the crappy pics, but it hasn't been full photo'd yet.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Gunner75; 06/01/11.

Fast is Fine but Accuracy is Final.
BP-B6

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
How is that possible? I own a short action BDL Medalist and it was 38oz, and a Savage sporter version that was 40oz.

Question, does it utilize the factory trigger guard and magazine?

thanks.

Last edited by dogcatcher223; 06/01/11. Reason: Typo, meant BDL.
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
ADL Medalist? B&C doesn't produce a full out Medalist version of the ADL. B&C does produce a Medalist ADL that has the Modified Pillar system.
The Savage sporter (LA 2980) is a larger exterior stock and the layup is a bit more. Typiclly 2.25lbs. Obviously yours is beyond that or with the addition of bedding or LOP change, scale difference, etc???

The 1042 is a drop in designed stock. Remove the barreled action, triggerguard and magazine, swap stocks and tighten down. All transfers right over with the exception of the recoil lug.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Sorry, meant to type BDL. I literally just weighed the stock last week because I pulled the action for cleaning. 38oz on a postal scale. It is on my M700 short action 204. The one for the Savage weighed in at exactly 40oz right out of the box. I like the stocks, but wouldn't want them if I was trying to build a lightweight gun, and that is the whole point of a T3.

That being said, I am guessing that is why B&C used pillars instead of a block in the Ti stocks...

On a side note...I was told by B&C 3 years ago that a stock for a short action Ruger M77 was going to be available in the medalist "any time." Never happened...

Pic of my BDL sporter:

[Linked Image]

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Wade does the stock have a recoil lug built right into it?

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'll admit, if the T3 stocks really do come in under 2lbs, sign me up!

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Got it. I would love nothing more than to keep all Medalist sporters at or below 2lbs. However we have had trouble doing this. We are hoping to trim this out shortly with some new techniques and criteria.
Exterior stock shape has a lot to do with weight along with bedding block design, and even weather conditions while producing stocks.
Ti series stocks. Although still considered a Medalist, you are correct. The modified Lug block and Pillar/tail system is used to aid in a weight savings, but the stock is laid up differently as well to add strength.
We can build the Ti series with a block and hit 1.7lbs without issue, but $$$ comes into play.
I know, the Ruger was projected many many times to be produced in the Medalist series, but OEM demand has been very very strong and unfortunately we have not been able to Ruger up!

The block is a one pc unit on the new T3, not add on pillars, recoil lug, etc. It is one pc with a tail system added. The block turned out very very slick to say the least.
The new 1042 T3 stock will be a hit for sure.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like no checkering?

Thanks.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I want that B & C stock really bad!!! Looks like a rough finish with no checkering? I love the design, bedding and finish. How soon can I get one???

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Any chance these will be available in left hand? That sure would make my day.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll take it, PM sent........ grin

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Gunner, does the bedding block snug that action down on the angles like a "V" block or does it bottom out on the flat on the bottom?

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Left Hunter.......................not yet. I cannot say we will not make a LH, but no plans as of now. You never know though. OEM may demand it and allow since we built this one prior to asking.

Bedding block. There was a challenge. The "V" block design has been incorporated on several of our Medalist models, mostly in heavy bbl applications.

We have though in all started machining bedding blocks with small v cuts the length of the action. This works good, but isn't the real positive traditional V.

This block presented a challenge, the Lug. Had to be a one pc block or it would have been a press in lug and that just doesn't cut it. The present block will allow the action to settle in the block, but the traditional V is not there or present like on our varmint/tactical stocks.

However, most who are really concerned about the V at least skim bed there action. You are welcome in advance. This stock will require very very little bedding. Thanks to the action design as well.

I have built countless bedding blocks and have found that overall, it seems to be a wash. Keep in mind this is based on customer feedback as well as in house testing, OEM results, etc.

Complete round actions: The V block is great, but can also be a major issue. With factory actions it is almost certain that it should be skim bedded due to the manufacturing and finishing techniques. Machine and polish. Some get a bit carried away, and or are at the end of the bar stock, something??? Skim it and move on. I have to say that alot of late model round actions have been pretty good. I think Tikka is one of the better factory machined actions out there.

Custom actions: I have put together just about every round action out there and shot the heck out of them. The V block works very well with these, not one issue after skimming where I couldn't see a solid bed line. Surgeon, Stiller, Templer, Nesika, etc, etc.

Back to this stock. It is not a custom barreled action, however, I think they do an outstanding job at building a very very solid product that is well..........similar to the next and 100 serial numbers down the road.
The Sako Tecomate stock was a challenge but in the end, it turned out awesome. The Tikka 1042 follows suit and could possibly be a touch better only due to our manufacturing process on the bedding block.

Street price on these will most likely be in the $225 range. It will be the very best stock for the money out there today. Plus you will get it in 4 to 8 weeks tops.
A lot of hard work went into this stock and I hope you guys give me some good feedback over it. Good or bad, I wanna hear it. I need to hear it (not the good so much, just the bad if there is any).

Once again, sorry for the quick pics above, but figured you guys needed a peek!

Last edited by Gunner75; 06/01/11.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Very interested in one of those. Can you drop a barreled action in there, complete with trigger guard etc and get a pic?

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Shouldn't be an issue. Will be in the AM though. Kick me if you don't see it by mid am.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
How about a group deal for those of us here on the Campfire? Early production and reviews for you?? You will find no better source for feedback.

Seriously, I would love to be a test shooter.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
+1 on a group buy.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Sorry guys been busy this am, here are a couple pics of the bbl action installed.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Nice! You guys have a winner with that one. ETA on availability?

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Gunner,
Thanks for bringing out this stock. Are these going to be available in all your standard colors? I'll be looking for two of them. Looking to join the group buy if you can put one together for us.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
687 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 72 invisible), 2,668 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,615
Posts18,398,454
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.